Defensive Carry banner

Which would be the better weapon light?

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Alien Nation 
#1 ·
Which is the better weapon mounted light?
1.Insight Technology SSL-1
2.Streamlight M-3X Tactical Illuminator
3.Streamlight TLR–1

Whichever one I get will be mounted on my XD .45. I would like it to be effective at 25-30 meters. Thanks.

If anyone has any experience with any of the three I would love to hear your thought on the matter. Especially the SSL-1.

#2 ·
I have the M3, Surefire X200A, and the TLR-2 (same as the TLR-1 but with the laser), annnnnnd, I like the beam characteristics of the TRL-1/2 better than any of them. Nice center beam and nice outer light. If I could get that same beam pattern in a handheld, I'd buy it instantly.

I'm not fond of the 'screw-on' mount, even though you can use a coin to attach/detach it.

I much prefer the push on switch for momentary illumination of the X200.

#3 ·
How many feet would you say the TLR-1/2's beam is effective to? Insight claims that the SSL-1 has a bright 6' spot at 25 meters. I really like the look and warranty of the TLR's so I was hoping they would be as bright at the same distance.

#4 ·
I'll have to give it a try tonight and get back to you, but I'll say this: my projects class tested about 20 tactical type lights so I've seen a bunch of them and yet the TLR-1/2 made a lasting impression on me.

Twenty five meters is an quite a distance to engage a threat with a handgun. I don't know that you implied that but thought this would be worth a mention. When I first tried a Surefire L2 (digital LED, dual power level) I was not impressed. Other lights, TL2/3 (handheld) and some other Surefire lights (A2, Z2) had those really bright center focused beams.

As I used them more and more, I began to see the advantage of a bright, large beam. In a room and short ranges outside, that broad beam discloses much more threat area than that a more sharply focused narrower beam. I was so impressed that I bought a Surefire L2 for myself and carry it 24/7. Plus the ability to use a much lower beam power comes in really handy.

I also have a Gladius and it has a nice beam, reaches out well, and has some really nice features but it's a handheld. But, my TLR-2's beam is just as good and reaches just as far and I believe it's a bit clearer as well.

#5 ·
I use an Insight X2 (laser & light) for HD, works perfectly at all distances in my house.
Due to holster restrictions and distance factors outlined by Tangle I do not take it out with me, I use a handheld flashlight and generally try to keep out of the shadows.

#7 · (Edited)
I appriciate the input fellas. The reason I did not include the SF X200 was the $250 price tag. I can get the TLR-1 for a pinch over $100 and the SSL-1 for a pinch under $150. I don't anticipate engaging a threat out to 25 meters but if the light is real bright at 25m then imagine what it's like at 7 yards!:wink:

Also for hand held recharchable lights I seriously recomend checking out this link:
https://www.pts-flashlights.com/category.aspx?uid=1
(Check out the light grey high lighted column) The Raider and Rattlesnake lights are great. Very powerful! High quality.

#8 ·
I appriciate the input fellas. The reason I did not include the SF X200 was the $250 price tag. I can get the TLR-1 for a pinch over $100 and the SSL-1 for a pinch under $150. I don't anticipate engaging a threat uot to 25 meters but if the light is real bright at 25m then imagine what it's like at 7 yards!:wink:

Also for hand held recharchable lights I seriously recomend checking out this link:
https://www.pts-flashlights.com/category.aspx?uid=1
(Check out the light grey high lighted column)
Careful about getting caught up in a brightness thing. The light is an illumination tool, not the weapon. Of course it doesn't hurt that a light blinds the BG, most any light of 65 lumens will do that. Once you pass that threshold, I'm not sure there's much to be gained by an even brighter light, in fact, a brighter light, or more focused, may be a disadvantage. If it's really dark and you bounce a bright light off of a light colored or reflective object, you can mess up your night vision.

#11 ·
I have a TLR-2 and I really like it's brightness.

Having played with it a little though, I have decided that I would rather have a light separate from the weapon. I don't like the idea that I am aiming my weapon at an unknown and possibly unintended target. Also, I can hold my Surefire in such a way as to not give away my COM! :gah:

#12 ·
You should actually have two (one is none and two is one). You are correct that you don't want to have to point your weapon at everything you want to look at.

Having taken a lot of low light/night shooting classes, I can tell you that a weapon mounted light makes life MUCH easier for doing a lot of tasks and you will also shoot tighter groups IMHO.

C4

#16 ·
Alien Nation,

If one-handed shooting were faster than two-handed, all the top shooters would be shooting one-handed. One-hand shooting may be faster in some scenarios, but one-hand shooting usually suggests that there wasn't time to attain a two-hand grip. But with a WML, you are already in a two-hand grip. It's just index and fire.

If I'm confronting a threat, I don't usually get to control the distance, hence the same method I use up close must be accurate and fast at 20 feet.

#18 ·
I agree with both of you that pretty much every body will shoot better with two hands. That doesn't mean no one can shoot perfectly adiquate with one. As far as the top shooters? Thier steel popper or cardboard targets don't shoot back. Often the weak side hand may need to be used to counter balance you while moving and shooting. If a person hasn't been trained for it their accuracy will definitely fall apart.

It is more accurate to use two hands. The accuracy requred for CQB is attainable with one hand and just as fast if not faster if, I said if a person practices and trains for it.
This was taken from my post. Inside 7 yards or so my accuracy from two hands isn't much different than one hand.

At a recent CQB training course, we often times had to make head shots at over 15yds while on the move. I don't know many people that would want to do this in a hostage scenario with only one hand.
I've never met anyone who can make reliable head shots while moving (especially on a hostage scenario target) at 15 yards(almost 50 feet) at all.
Making a crainial hit in a hostage scenario at that distance is risky standing still. I question the credibility of the place you trained. I apologise if I offend. It's not my intention.
I didn't claim the light to be the weapon. It will definitely cause the BG to have a more difficult time. By the way the G2's light isn't in the same class as the lights I mentioned in the original thread. They are not only brighter but have a higher quality beam.

I'm going to request the mods close this as it has gotten far from the original posts subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.