Pocket LED light - Page 3

Pocket LED light

This is a discussion on Pocket LED light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like fenix single AA lights...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pocket LED light

I like fenix single AA lights
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Pocket LED light

Just upgraded my Streamlight collection with the new ProTac 1L-1AA. Runs in either one cr123 or one AA. With the cr123 it gets 350 lumens. Has High, Strobe, Low and can be programmed for preferred sequence. Love it.Pocket LED light-img_0969.jpg
    Last edited by Darkstar888; October 20th, 2016 at 09:43 PM.

IM suprised nobody has the aaa penlight from brite strike? I picked one up last year and it's a nice little light,high med.& strobe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I bought one that said it was 700 lumens but when I tried it out my 350 lumen was brighter so I took the new one back. I had one that was even brighter but I gave it to my grandson. I won't be buying anymore until the downsize them some more and make them brighter than the one I have.

Just got my Foursevens Mini MK II It's bright and tiny. I think it's smaller than a pack of Rolaids.

The light produces 1020 lumens for 15-30 seconds, before ramping down to 550 lumens over the next few minutes with a rechargeable but can run a standard CR123in a pinch. Without the rechargeable all you get is 500 lumens.

Smallest and brightest of my 123 lights.

Now if it only had a push button and not a twisty.

Do I dig out the Kydex and make a holster or lose it to the washer in my watch pocket?
    Monte

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by montejames View Post
    Do I dig out the Kydex and make a holster or lose it to the washer in my watch pocket?
    I'd like to see a kydex sheath. :)
    --Jason--

I went thru this decision recently also.

I bought a ThruNite Ti3 which runs on a single AAA battery. Very small and light.

I also bought the light below that runs on a single AA or the Lithium Ion version of an AA.

It's a bit larger than the ThruNite.

I think I'll make the bigger light a permanent resident of a jacket pocket. And save the really small ThruNite for summer carry in a cargo shorts pocket.

The brand on the light below is UltraFire and I ordered it on ebay. Didn't pay much, but it works find so far.

Pocket LED light-ultrafire.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I'd like to see a kydex sheath. :)
    I think the Foursevens Mini MK II might be to small for a holster.
    Pocket LED light-22803132648_61eea9bf66_z.jpg
    Monte

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I use a Streamlight Microstream. Perfect size for my uses, just fits the hand while still being slim and short enough for any pocket. Plus the clip it comes with allows it to attach to hat brims, super handy for me. Uses common AAA batteries, something I prefer in a frequently used light/item.
    I was given one of those for a Xmas gift about 12 to 15 years ago. Still have it, still use it and have used maybe four batteries in it over those years. Tuff as nails light. Might be the best Christmas gift I have ever received and certainly the longest kept gift.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by montejames View Post
    I think the Foursevens Mini MK II might be to small for a holster.
    Naaaaa. I have seen sheaths for Bic lighters. :)
    --Jason--

To answer Munch (OP), you will need to see who is in the dark and what they are doing before you point a gun at them. Many people, including me at one time, seem to over look this fact, though it sounds like simple logic. This is also means that a gun mounted light may point at innocent people, including family members, if a hand held light is not used in tandem.

I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2 L. I carry it every day. I never realized before how handy a light can be. (Some would shun me for using my defensive light for non-defensive tasks).

I carry a light daily even though I leave my gun at home most days. I only take this risk because I would probably lose my job for just having it in my truck in the parking lot.

The ProTac 2L is just right for me because:
    --it is the perfect size (about 3/4" thick, 4-3/4" long); it is as small as it can be (I never notice as it is clipped inside my front pocket at 9 o'clock position) and yet it's still big enough to serve its purpose of self defense quite well. It's thick enough for a good grip (you don't want to hold a light with only finger tips when your fine motor skills fade under stress) and it's long enough that the lens protrudes on one side of my full grip and the button on the end cap is accessible on the other side of my grip.
    --it is as bright as it can (supposedly 260 lumens) be without blinding me with reflected light from light-colored walls in a most rooms (in which walls will be within 20 feet). My first light was a 500 lumen (probably a true 500 lumen) Surefire that blinded me with reflected light.
    --its on/off button is essentially a momentary button that does not click on for constant light without a deliberate effort. This is important because in a defensive situation, you should quickly and continously turn the light on and off as you move so the criminal has difficulty tracking you.
    --its on/off button is programmable so that each push is full power (as long as the a successive push is not so quick as to activate the strobe. Ideally, it would be full power only or at least an alternate way to use a dimmer beam).
    --my first set of batteries probably lasted at least 6 months. I'm still on the second set. A 12 pack of CR123's cost $20. That's about $3.33 per 6 months for me. The 12 pack will probably last me 3 years. Additionally, the CR123's have a long shelf life and supposedly better performance in extreme cold.
    --it seems plenty tough enough for my life style.
    --it's much less expensive than higher end brands. Mine can be found for less than $45.

This video (about a 1 cell light) made me feel better about the quality of Streamlight (and like I said, only people in the most extreme conditions need the toughest equipment):

Streamlight Protac 1L - Monderno
    Last edited by runandgun; December 11th, 2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Omitted Comment
    yooper71 likes this.

The Pro Tac 1L-1AA mentioned by Darkstar888 (which I haven't heard of before reading his/her post) appears to have every attribute that I like about mine if it's not too bright.

I don't believe being 1/2 in. shorter in length would make it less functional. It would have the added bonuses of being a fraction less to carry and it would have the option of AA batteries if you find yourself in a pinch.
    Last edited by runandgun; December 11th, 2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Grammer

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'd suggest having a look at this recent posting on this very subject: I think I'll start carrying a flashlight.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Pocket LED light

I have been carrying one of 2 Streamlight ProTac's daily for the last year and am very happy with both. When not at work I carry a 2L. See post #41 by runandgun, I agree and he says it better than I can.

At work I carry a ProTac 2AA. I use a different light at work because I will go through 2 or 3 pair of batteries a week. Even though the light was purchased by me, it stays at work and is only used at work so my company will supply the batteries.

The 2AA light has been used in temps from -20 to 125 degrees F, has been dropped a few times from about 6', has been sprayed with water often, and was once submerged in about a foot of water for about 2 minutes. The light still works great.

Even though I carry my 2L daily, it does not see anywhere near the use or abuse and I am on my second pair of CR 123A in a years time.

Almost forgot to mention, when I use the 2AA on low, the frequency the light modulates at causes it to act like a strobe. The only time this is noticeable to me is when I am looking at rotating equipment, which I do often while at work. It's something I found out by accident, but I like.

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by runandgun View Post
    To answer Munch (OP), you will need to see who is in the dark and what they are doing before you point a gun at them. Many people, including me at one time, seem to over look this fact, though it sounds like simple logic. This is also means that a gun mounted light may point at innocent people, including family members, if a hand held light is not used in tandem.
    So very true. Once you start actually processing what might occur if someone were to break into your home or attack you in the dark you suddenly realize that some sort of immediate access light is an absolute must.
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links