Is your cellphone tough enough?

This is a discussion on Is your cellphone tough enough? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Part of your EDC set up should be a quality cellphone, it's often your first (or only) course of action. A well timed call to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your cellphone tough enough?

Is your cellphone tough enough?

Part of your EDC set up should be a quality cellphone, it's often your first (or only) course of action. A well timed call to 911 may be enough to avert using your weapon.

Now, I knew that all this time but didn't consider how my cell phone was a weak link in my EDC. Until yesterday I had a generic Nokia free phone, it worked but was easily disabled by water damage or being dropped.

I now have a Casio G'z One. It's modeled on the Casio G-shock watches. I have had a G-Shock for several years now, it's been faultless and I torture it daily doing construction. I got the lower specification phone, the higher spec has bluetooth, I don't need that.

I haven't had the phone long enough to torture it yet but I have no qualms of putting it in my pocket with my keys while I work outside and soak it in sweat. I see no problem accidently dropping it in a bucket of water (done that before) or dropping it while climbing.

It's tough.

I got it for free via my plan with Verizon, now I know not all of you will agree that Verizon is a good provider but they are great in my area. No other provider has the Casio phones yet.
    We did discuss the Casio in the iPhone thread but I made this thread as this is a whole other angle.

So, if your phone is a weak link in your carry gear you should look into this option.
    You don't want to find that when you need to call 911 your phone 'jams'...
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I've got a Nextel I305. That is the toughest phone I've ever owned. Its been dropped, kicked and everything else...still works just fine. It was built to mil-specs.

Eric

JD
    Administrator
    I had an Old Nokia that refused to die...

(SARSASM ON)
    If you got the Iphone you could take a picture of the BG and email it to all of us on the forum and the police, and with the Ipod feature, you can have your own cool sound track while fending off evil doers.

The bluetooth will allow talking on the phone while performing a tactical reload.

And you can find your lawyer in the adress book by looking for his picture or some such method...
    (SARCASM OFF)

I need a tougher phone, I have a Blackberry through work and I've all ready broken the screen on one, and the audio is crap.

However, I have inadvertantly covered my BlackBerry in ketchup, and it still works...I don't know about a bucket of water.

Along with a P3AT clipped IWB and a CRKT M16-13Z clipped IFP, I have an old Moto RAZR that "lives" in my change pocket. It's been dropped a few times, It's metal case is scratched and dented but It's thin, and with no external antenna it serves me quite well.

After a defection to Cingular I saw the error of my ways and came back to Verizon...
    What, me worry?

Senior Moderator
    I don't have a cell phone.........I can hear all the gasps and cries of astonishment.

What do I do, what we all did before cell phones. You know B.C.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Guess my bro needs one. He tends to dunk his every year. This year it was flipping a kayak.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    I'll give Pete's phone one thing, Casio's webiste is pretty funny:
    http://www.casiogzone.com/

Lead Moderator
    Do I dare ask how much?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

$150 for Bluetooth, $100 for regular. YMMV.
    That is my local price through Verizon, I'm allowed a $100 phone free every 2 years, so I got it free.

It also has a LED flashlight, but it's not much of a beam, enough to see where you're going but not any use tactically as a defensive device.

Great sound though, the clarity improvement is very noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Now, I knew that all this time but didn't consider how my cell phone was a weak link in my EDC. Until yesterday I had a generic Nokia free phone, it worked but was easily disabled by water damage or being dropped.
    If you're going to claim this, I think you at least need to do some destructive testing on your old cellphone and put up some pictures/video.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    If you're going to claim this, I think you at least need to do some destructive testing on your old cellphone and put up some pictures/video.
    Well, it's not a phone anymore, it's an 'unconnected to any network' paperweight. But I had very similar models in the past that died after getting wet, or falling a few feet.

Not good.

Senior Moderator
    My phone has survived me for three years... It's one TOUGH phone.

i355. I like the total GPS on it. I haven't killed it yet..... so it has to be tough!!!!
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    My phone has survived me for three years... It's one TOUGH phone.
    I appreciate that, I really do.
    Under normal use modern phones are exceptionally resilient.

But, my warning is in relation to extraneous circumstances.

You are running across concrete, gravel, blacktop, you drop your phone once or twice, it skids into a puddle, you step on it...

Not every day scenarios but more than possible in a SHTF or SD situation.

We don't trust our lives to firearms that fail a basic reliability test, we don't carry knives that break if they get wet.

But many of us carry phones that are more 'cool than practical'.

And the phone might just be the most important thing you carry.

BTW, I am not getting paid by Casio... I wish I was though, I'd ask for a new watch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links