Defensive Carry banner

Maxpedition question(s)

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TJ Carr 
#1 ·
Ok guys and gals,

I just ordered a Maxpedition "Falcon II" last night for my BOB. This bag will take up tp a 100 lt Camelbak hydration system. I tried calling Maxpedition today (closed :aargh4:) to see if I needed just the reservoir or do I need the cover for the reservoir also? Does anyone have this bag or 1 similar? I was going to order whatever I need, but need to find out what I have to get. Thanks y'all for any help :smile:

Eric

#4 ·
While I don't have the Falcon II, most of the tactical packs that have hydration pockets, you can just insert the bladder and tube assembly.

However, I would think any hydration cover would give the hydration bladder extra protection and in no way hinders use in your pack as long as you have a fairly low profile cover.

I have two of the original 72 oz camel backs that I don't use anymore but keep on hand for reserve. They have a simple neoprene/nylon cover with shoulder straps and very thin profile.

What I use now, is I have (3) of the 100 oz Camel Back Storm's with the large fill opening and screw on lid. They come with an OD green neoprene/nylon pouch with simple adjustible shoulder straps to wear on your back.

I also have insulated neoprene tube covers on all of them. Really worth it because in the heat, your first sips of water will be hot if you don't have one. Unless you blow into your tube and that kind of backfills your bladder with spit.

I also have and recommend the Mylar Insulator that slips over your 100 oz hydration resevior and then fits into the neoprene outer cover. The mylar insulators can be harder to find but I find it really worth the extra money. None of the deputies on our team have them and my water stays colder for at least a couple hours longer than theirs.

I slip one of the Camel Back Storms into the hydration pocket on my Blackhawk Tactical Vest and I carry one of the Storms inside our BlackHawk Medical Pack that I have for use by any injured officers or patients I encounter on a swat operation.

All our tac team members have their own camelbacks in their tac vests, but you can never have too much water available and never know when someone may need some. Besides Hydration is part of the medics responsibility.

Sometimes I will lash my 3rd Camel Back Storm to the outside of the Medic Pack if the situation requires it.

Again, I would recommend having a basic cover for your hydration resevior that has shoulder straps, but if you don't, It should be ok traveling in your Maxpedition Falcon II for a while, until you get a chance to get a cover for it.

#5 ·
Thanks a lot, Bark. I had already made up my mind about the cover (to get it) but I didn't know about the mylar cover. Can I ask where you get your Camelbak gear from?

Eric

#6 ·
Can't remember specifically, but I buy from Brigade Quartermasters, U.S. Cavalry and Blackhawk industires. Also an excellent source of all tactical gear is Botach Tactical. (Links provided below)

Also, the Blackhawk brand of Hydrastorm products are all great and every bit as good if not better than the Camelbak product line.

Blackhawk has a thing about overbuilding things and taking things one step farther in the R&D dept.

I always check Botach before buying from the others because they usually have cheaper prices.

Brigade Quartermasters
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/index.tam

U.S. Cavalry
http://www.uscav.com/

Botach Tactical
http://www.botachtactical.com/

Link for the Mylar Insulated Reservoir Cover (Only place found these days)
http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10651

#7 ·
Bark,
Wouldn't you know it, the mylar liner is out of stock. But, I lucked up and got a new 3lt Thermobak and a 3lt Storm off of eBay for a little more than what a Thermobak costs retail. Thanks for all the help!

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.