Making your own wood grips?

This is a discussion on Making your own wood grips? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anybody tackled that project from scratch? I bought some rubber grips with finger grooves for my revolver but I am not too happy about ...

VIP Member

Has anybody tackled that project from scratch? I bought some rubber grips with finger grooves for my revolver but I am not too happy about them. I like the feel of wood better but I want the grip to fit my fingers and not some generic notion of how the fingers should be. Also, the wooden grips I have seen are EXPENSIVE and I think starting from scratch would be cheaper and accomodate my hand better. Any ideas, suggestions, etc?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    I know this is not exactly what you asked, but have you looked here?:

http://www.hogueauction.com/

I've never made my own grips...I'm not nearly that good of a woodworker.

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    AGhhh!! $190 for a set of grips? LOL

QK, That hits the spot, Thanks!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    AGhhh!! $190 for a set of grips? LOL
    For some of the "Premium Select," yes, but the Seconds I've purchased are very good--I haven't found the problems with several of them after two years....

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    If you have a Dremel, and a material removing (??) bit, you can do it pretty easy, if you have a somewhat steady hand and a little artistic flare.

Start with some cheaper wood, so as to not waste good stuff. I found that cabinet shops are more than willing to give you scraps, that would normally be thrown out. They are perfect for making grips. Pay close attention to the inside of the grip if there are any index holes, etc. You'll want these to be perfect. I actually rendered one of my guns inoperable by not paying close attention to the innards.

Also, polyurethane is best in my opinion for finish, it's durable and doesn't scratch as easily as lacquer. Just takes forever to dry.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Here is a link to directions on how to make 1911 grips. They might be useful for your revolver project.

http://blindhogg.com/grip.html

I have been working on a set of grips for my Blackhawk off and on for nearly two years. I don't do much with wood, and have even less patience. Like [u]jarhead79[/b] said, made it inoperable for a while until I found out where the grips were making thing bind up.

I will probably try to make a set for my 1911, but the revo is going to get a set of dressy aftermarkets.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - way back I made my own revo grips - I have a pic somewhere.

I usually used a block of mahogany - traced out the outer profile and then cut that on bandsaw to rough shape. Then cut block in half as symmetrically as possible.

Next stage was making a shape template for the inside fit, plus marking where screws went and internal locating pins etc. I then used drill press with a small end mill in chuck - or small dia router cutter and roughed out the insides to depth. To finish inside and out I used wood carving chisels .... flat and gouges ... and finally of course sandpaper work.

It takes time naturally but you can at least finish up with grips to suit your own hand - I marked out mine for my own finger spacings.

Ahh - here is the pic ....... forget which was which now ........ but IIRC from left it is Redhawk, then M27 and then Trooper. Last pics are very old ones of the three guns way back in time!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Try This...For New Grips...

I have always thought her site was a little odd (bathing suit picture in the waterfalls of S. Am...)but I have talked to her several times and have purchased two pair of exotic grips for my Kimbers...

They are superb!

My sets were $99 and $109...

She has a huge selection...which changes quite often. Her service and promised quality was top notch.

Type in Esmeralda Grip Maker click on her site...I believe she is part Aymara Indian and part Irish...does excellent work...

It costs nothing to look...

I loved the grips she sent me...the only problem I had was trying to decide which sets I wanted...very unique...hand made...

Have fun looking...

Stay armed...with class...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links