How much difference do grip panels make

This is a discussion on How much difference do grip panels make within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a quandry. I took my Kimber CDP out today for it's first range trip. ALL my other 1911s have Houge wraparounds for grips. ...

Thread: How much difference do grip panels make

I have a quandry. I took my Kimber CDP out today for it's first range trip. ALL my other 1911s have Houge wraparounds for grips. I really like the look of the CDP with the factory grips, and decided not to change them. Today...everything was way right. I 1st thought it was the sights, I took one shot one handed and one shot "teacupping" the pistol. Needless to say...it ain't the gun. Point of aim...just reduced recoil control and followup.
    I shoot left handed, weaver. I'm pretty sure I'm pulling my shots off with my support hand. It usually isn't that bad with my other 1911s. Usually They're just a little right. Today I cut the BGs arm off :-)

What should I do training mostly by myself to get over it. I'm 90% sure it's the support hand...I concentrate on using only the pad of my trigger finger so I don't THINK that's it.

PS...the Kimber only FTF'ed 1 time in about 180 rounds and it was on a old 230 grain JHP (I think from the flash and BOOOM) +P safe orphan.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I'm not sure if this will help but you might try the targets mentioned in this thread to get a better Idea of what is going on.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=28763

-- Kirk
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Assistant Administrator
    I do believe grips make a big difference. We are all just slightly different with hand size, finger lengths and proportions and ultimately I do feel there is a grip pattern that for each individual - is the ultimate.

For example - and this was not planned .... my EDC SIG 226 had pretty fair factory grips but, when I added CT's - I found there was a very marked improvement in ''feel'' - and that is reflected not only in overall ''shootability'' for me but - it helps indexing on the gun from the draw.

Hardest thing is knowing what is ideal for each person and so - some experiment is often needed - maybe resulting in some spare grips - bit like the ubiquitous holster box!

Check out your gun with someone else shooting it - see if their POA and POI match - and are different from yours and also yeah - check those diagrams ref'd in last post.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links