GE wireless camera system $35!

This is a discussion on GE wireless camera system $35! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found it al Lowes on sale while being dragged by the wife locating some wall hangers or something like that. It is one B&W camera, ...

Thread: GE wireless camera system $35!

VIP Member

Talking GE wireless camera system $35!

Found it al Lowes on sale while being dragged by the wife locating some wall hangers or something like that.
    It is one B&W camera, the receiver and all the wires & transformers. You can add 2 more cameras (Already found one cheap at EBay for the rear of the house.) and can be plugged to any video equipment that has RCA video inputs, the round color coded ones we have in VCRs and the such. Already tested it and although not HD by any standard, it will do the job.
    The camera has IR LEDs to iluminate a short area near the location where you place it. I tested it in our bedroom which is almost a dark room and you could see the cats' eyes like headlights on high beam and distinguish their shape pretty good at about 5 yards or so.

I plugged the receiver to my TV and image is good enough to take to court and convict somebody without reasonable doubt getting in the way I also plugged it to a portable DVD player and works just fine and the fact that the whole system can be run with 12v makes it VERY portable and it is great for security in case of power failure times like after hurricanes.

The camera is rated for outdoors and indoors (but not wet enviroments like a pool area), but I am planning on getting/making an acrylic case to add protection from the elements and the ocassional vandal.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Nice score, Mig. I need to do up my own perimeter..
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Good helpful thread Miggy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Actually I bought one of those from Lowes. It was more than $35 though, I wonder why it's so cheap now. It works alright, we were using it for my elderly father, my sister could look in on him from another room to make sure he was alright.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Nice! I'm off to Lowes...

I need this as someone keeps opening my gates to my backyard, my dogs have been missing for a week now. (Yes, they are/were locked)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Good price Miggy - very good.

I bought one of these from Circuit City some years ago - and added two more cameras .... but monitor went south so had to buy another full kit - much more expensive that yours.

However, still pretty satisfied with it as I can cover a lot of my place with the three cameras.... one front in porch and two at rear.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Home Automation

As a next step, you might want to look into a home automation system. X-10 and Smarthome and a lot of other companies sell relatively inexpensive and generally reliable "plug-in" modules that allow you to do all sorts of things via wireless remotes. I've used an X-10 system for years, to control my lights and ring annunciators or turn on lights driven by motion detectors. Also recently installed one in my Mom's home. I've carried mine along and reinstalled them in four homes when we moved over the past 15 years.

You can start with a basic wireless setup or get the computer interface module which lets you program specific on and off times for individual lights and devices, or turn on and off things based on dusk - dawn times in your area. Works great when away for the evening or on vacation.

I can turn on any or all lights in my home by pressing one button on a small remote lying on my nightstand. In fact, I've got about six remotes scattered around the house for easy access. Handy when something goes bump in the night.

These systems use wireless remote signals and then transmit a code over your home's electrical wiring to activate plug-in modules into which lamps are plugged. Hard-wired devices like switches and wall receptacles are also available. They also offer CCTV cameras which connect to any TV set or can be tied to your computer and allow you to see your monitored areas over the Internet.

Reliability is NOT always 100%, but mine works well enough. Better systems certainly exist, but mine didn't cost me thousands of dollars or require tearing into my walls and running wire.

It's a great addition to my hardwired and monitored burgler alarm system.
    Chuck

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Geezer has it right.

The X-10 folks do make some good stuff and you can find it pretty cheap out on ebay. Nice stuff I have a few of them.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    cool find. I'm working towards a camera setup, myself, though I think I'm gonna go with wired networked cameras that record directly to my fileserver. I'm looking for some with IR illuminators like yours.

I might have to look into some of that X10 stuff too.

Links