Forming Kydex Procedure parts 1 and 2 (picture intensive) MERGED

This is a discussion on Forming Kydex Procedure parts 1 and 2 (picture intensive) MERGED within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; definatly looking forward to the follow up...about how much pressure is applied in your clamp? I also noticed that Kydex makes about 40 different types ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forming Kydex Procedure parts 1 and 2 (picture intensive) MERGED

definatly looking forward to the follow up...about how much pressure is applied in your clamp? I also noticed that Kydex makes about 40 different types of this stuff, which "model" are you using?
    Last edited by hrtbrk07; July 29th, 2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: kydex question
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have never had it hurt a real gun/finish. I notice the red or blue guns , if the heat is too hot it will make the color stick to the kydex.
    If anyone plans to order blueguns, you can get them without the final finish. They are stil blue, but not bright. No paint, or whatever they use to come off in the holster.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrk07 View Post
    definatly looking forward to the follow up...about how much pressure is applied in your clamp? I also noticed that Kydex makes about 40 different types of this stuff, which "model" are you using?

I believe it is the Kydex 100.
    As far as how much pressure...
    I don't have a clue. I just go by feel depending on what I'm making.
    For a wrap around holster I pretty much clamp as tight as the quick clamps will go.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Awesome! thanks, guy. I think I might give this a couple of goes this weekend, nothing better to do with a broken leg.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

how do you get a uniformed sight channel so the front sight doesnt drag to much
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks to luvmy40 and his excellent post showing how to do this Kydex stuff, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Not having a holster for my PF-9 I figured I might be able to make something workable. I decided to attempt a pocket carry style, something that would camouflage the print of the gun in my pocket, but yet retain it in the upright position for an easy and quick draw.It works great for back pocket carry in my 5.11 pants and fits just about any cargo pocket on all of my shorts. Since the PF-9 is a bit big for normal pocket carry its about the only way to carry it.

Im still waiting for the rivets to get here, even so it retains the gun really well.
    If I can do it...anyone can.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Not bad Hotguns. Can I suggest making some room for a full grip , yet keep the mag release covered on the pistol? Second , I make the pocket holsters with a square bottom shape to keep it upright in the pocket.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I thought about that Rocky...the full grip. I think that the grip would have printed too much though the pocket so I made the holster to "soften" it. Also I wanted to cover the back sight to keep it from snagging on anything.

At first it was square. It was a pain to put in and out of the pockets though so I rounded it to make insertion and removal easier. I was a bit concerned that doing that might make the holster less secure in the pocket but that hasn't proved to be the case yet. It stays upright and is a heck of alot easier to get in and out.

I was also concerned that it would tend to stay on the gun when drawn, but so far the gun releases from the holster really well, but its tight enough that you can shake it off of the gun...even without the rivets.

I finally ordered some rivets from Texas Knife Supply, for some unknown reason I couldn't do it from the house, I had to do it on my computer at work. I'll probably put a couple in the holster just for the heck of it, I'm not sure that they need them though.

Now I need to make the punch and die for my 2 ton arbor press to form the rivets. Soon as I get them and I can use one for a pattern, I'll do that and attach the male die to my ram.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    how do you get a uniformed sight channel so the front sight doesnt drag to much
    I just leave a small amount of "slack" in the fold when I press it and the press does the rest. If you look closely it isn't a perfectly straight track. It curves a bit at the ejection port where the profile of the slide is different. Not enough to worry about. When I do a "sandwich" press (two separate pieces riveted together) the foam, again provides the relief for the site track.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Administrator

Forming A Sight Channel

I don't work in KYDEX but, this sure works in leather so I'm sure it will for KYDEX also.

I use a small square length of brass rod slightly higher and wider than the front sight and either use this Super Duper double stick lathe tape to stick it to the top of the slide or a few TINY drops of Epoxy.
    The rod and the Epoxy can easily be removed (when finished) by warming it slightly with a heat gun.

That way I can mold a sight channel into the leather a tight fitting holster.
    I use brass but, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just cut a square strip of hardwood the size of the desired sight channel and use that instead of brass.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    I use a similar piece , a alum. square stick to form the sight track on my builds.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the info....
    and LUVMY40........
    Thanks for sharing this with us. It is very much full of info and is giving me the push to try it myself. However I must wait a short time for I have just purchased my first loading press and I need to get a bench built. But as soon as tI get the $$$$ I WILL try this too.
    I just LOVE to do things myself.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Ordered .80 12 x24 from KnifeKits today along with chicago screws. Hopefully have them in hand on friday so I can make it a weekend project.

My To Do List:

1 Holster for S&W
    6 Mag Holders
    3 Mag extensions
    1 Flared Mag Well (if i can figure out how to make this work)

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I'm involved in industrial plastic recycling. We have a new account coming soon that will bring in kydex scrap. The samples I have are about 9" x 23". The only problem is-it's white. I wonder if it can be painted?

We are primarily PP/PE grinders. I'm going to move the kydex cheap.
    Dave
    I finally received a shipment of this today. I inprocessed ~200 lbs of kydex. Most of it has been used and is fused together but there are several decent sized sheets in the box. There are two thicknesses. I'll bring in the calipers tomorrow and get thicknesses and will measure the sheet sizes.

If anyone has an interest, let me know. Remember-it's white. (Winter concealment!)

Dave

Now That Is A Work Of Beauty,

In fact it looks like the ideal solution for my own problem, I cant find a holster that rides high enough for my liking, but using your idea's maybe I can do something for myself.......
    Great Post .. and thanks for the tip
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links