Recommendations for a Carry Bag

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a Carry Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I know, people here either conceal carry or are working toward it like me. But even the old timers must carry their equipment in ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By sammeow
  • 1 Post By Renaldow
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By Fizban
  • 1 Post By Munch
  • 1 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 1 Post By Spark456
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By Sportymonk
  • 1 Post By rockinglock32

Thread: Recommendations for a Carry Bag

OK, I know, people here either conceal carry or are working toward it like me. But even the old timers must carry their equipment in a carry bag sometimes I would think. So I initially used my Old Nash Hospital bag from when I tore my esophagus open due to acid reflux. (fun). See images.

Well it didn't work very well as there are no compartments inside and everything got piled together and was scrambled by the time I got to the firing range. What I imagine I need is a bag sort of like my photography bag with compartments to put stuff in that can be adjusted to size (for long lenses, flashes, etc). I did like the idea of the bag saying Hospital instead of NRA. I'm sure a few wondered about that bag when I came in.

So, What are your recommendations for a bag to carry stuff to and from the range in until I get my CCW license. Even then will need a bag for glasses, ear muffs, ammo, etc. Any favorites? (Hopefully not like photography equipment where a 19cent pen is 19 cents but a photography pen is $29.95!)

Recommendations for a Carry Bag-img_3919.jpgRecommendations for a Carry Bag-img_3921.jpg

I just use a range bag I got from the NRA for free

and pistol cases got them in bulk to box the guns up
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    Midway has a variety of bags that are periodically on sale. Best value.

https://www.midwayusa.com/range-bags/br?cid=19645
    Rock and Glock and darbo like this.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.

"To you who call yourselves 'men of peace,' I say, you are not safe without men of action by your side." Thucydides

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If you are a prime member, Amazon ships for free.
    I like most Allen Range bags. Shucks, I have seen folks use everything from cheap tool bags to old diaper bags with lots of pockets.(didn't want it to seem like something you'd want to steal.)

I bought this 3.5 years ago. No shoulder strap, I didn't want one on this bag. But I do like the pistol rugs. Cost about $24 with free shipping back then.
    Recommendations for a Carry Bag-image.jpg
    Last edited by sammeow; December 4th, 2016 at 05:14 AM.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

If you're talking about a range bag, any compartmentalized bag will work. I prefer backpacks as they don't look anything at all like a range bag.
    Sportymonk likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The Midway bags (Competition) are superb, although large. They will carry a lot. My son thinks they beat camera bags hands down.
    Sportymonk and darbo like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

"Hillary, a woman without ethics, is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Rock and Glock

I carry my junk to the range in a 1980 alice pack. If I feel like I must carry my gun around in a bag, it will be a 5.11 moab 10. Generally speaking, I want my gun secured in some way, I don't want it just sliding around inside a bag.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

OD* likes this.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The Midway bags (Competition) are superb, although large. They will carry a lot. My son thinks they beat camera bags hands down.
    I have 2 of the Midway range bags and both work very well.

I use a Craftsman Tool Bag that has lots of pockets and is meant to carry carry heavy bulky objects is very durable and if it tears up or is damaged it has a lifetime warranty and it was less than $15 on sale.
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; January 8th, 2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Dragracer likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    The Midway bags are very well designed and there's a variety of sized to fit just about every application.

midway range bags - MidwayUSA

Personally, I like the LA police gear bail out bag for a small range bag. It's got enough compartments that you can separate some stuff and, when you catch it on sale, it's really inexpensive.

LA Police Gear Tactical Bail Out Gear Bag - Best Seller
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Recommendations for a Carry Bag-paper-shopping-bag.jpg
    Sportymonk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportymonk View Post
    ...when I tore my esophagus open due to acid reflux. (fun). See images....
    Oh THANK GAUD! I thought you were gonna' post pictures of your...torn esophagus!

Have a look at the Stanley "Fax Max" tool bags at Home Depot & Lowes. Nice, under-the-radar looks, tough materials, big-rugged zippers, lots of outside pockets, weather-resistant, hard-plastic bottom & WIDE-MOUTH opening top. You can catch 'em on sale for ~$30 or so.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 49
Size:  50.7 KB
    5lima30ret and Sportymonk like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks to all for the inputs. Yes Ghost Tracker, that bag is definitely under the radar like my hospital bag which unfortunately had no pockets or dividers or I would have stayed with it.

What I got over Christmas was the Blackhawk Sportster Deluxe Range Hunting Bag which I picked up on sale at Perry's Gun Shop for $29!! (If you are in the Raleigh or eastward area, I highly recommend Perry's in Wendell, NC)

https://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Spo...f_rd_i=desktop

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Ta...Range-Bag.aspx

Good video of bag layout.

Hope others benefit from this discussion, it's been great. Thanks gang.
    Last edited by Sportymonk; January 9th, 2017 at 10:57 AM.
    5lima30ret likes this.

I have a maxpedition range bag. Anything made by maxpedition will last forever. I use a maxpedition also as a get home bag and I carry one everyday with a trauma kit in it as well as a few extra things I use on a daily basis and a couple extra mags. They are a little pricey but like I said they last forever.

Compact Range Bag
    5lima30ret likes this.

Sponsored Links