Homeland Security funds LED Light Saber

This is a discussion on Homeland Security funds LED Light Saber within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if it's a repost. Via Threat Level The Department of Homeland Security is funding the creation an LED flashlight that uses powerful flashes of ...

Thread: Homeland Security funds LED Light Saber

Homeland Security funds LED Light Saber

Sorry if it's a repost.

Via Threat Level

The Department of Homeland Security is funding the creation an LED flashlight that uses powerful flashes of light to temporarily blind, disorient and incapacitate people. Homeland Security's Science and Technology arm hopes government agents can use the "light saber" to arrest people on planes and at the borders without using traditional weapons.

I wonder how this compares to the already widely available personal defense lights from Surefire, etc?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Fredw View Post
    I wonder how this compares to the already widely available personal defense lights from Surefire, etc?
    I can't imagine it being brighter than a 15kW incandescent, and while that was blinding and very painful, (and that from a not-quite-closed protective curtain, so I only got a tiny fraction of the output) I'd say it wouldn't have been much harder to fight through than OC/CN mix. Probably easier, since the light stops hurting nearly so much once the reflexive eye-closing happens. Either way, it requires fighting blind, but if someone's just looking to do some damage in a crowded area, flailing blindly with a blade or mass weapon could still be effective.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    I was hoping there had been some new technological developments in the field of light sabers. I gotta get me one of those!
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    A 5mW green laser will reportedly temp blind a human being and they are fairly inexpensive.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Uh, this may be news to you, but Homeland Security doesn't seem to be too worried about arresting people at the border.

As important as I believe securing the border is, I think it'll probably take a catastrophe for something to be done about it.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I thought they already made these. Called 'em Surefires. You know.. the ones with LED's. hahaha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Anti-light saber.

"Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Or they could just do it right and blind em all together. Just take a 5mw green laser and modified correctly puts out upwards of 100mw or more depending on the model....
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

They want a strobe effect. While surefire's lights will temporarily blind, they don't cause disorientation like an LED on strobe. Still, there are plenty of lights that have this, (IE Fenix, Novatac, Gladius, and others) Still, it would be really neat to see them put 4-5 Cree or Seoul high powered LEDs in a light with strobe function. Thats 600-750 retina searing lumens. Even brighter than the M6 with HOLA.

I would buy one. :)
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I almost drew down on a guy a couple years ago in the parking lot of my condo. I was walking the dog and all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, the kid talking to some guy sitting in his car starts up his toy light saber. This big blue flash scared the hell out of me. My shirt was clear and my hand on the grip before I realized what it was.
    -Biker

Links