All Hail the 5.11 Tactical Vest!

This is a discussion on All Hail the 5.11 Tactical Vest! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to say that in four days in New York City, I was incredibly impressed with the versatility and durability of my 5.11 Tactical ...

Thread: All Hail the 5.11 Tactical Vest!

All Hail the 5.11 Tactical Vest!

I have to say that in four days in New York City, I was incredibly impressed with the versatility and durability of my 5.11 Tactical Vest. On previous trips I've worn a pretty good tactical vest I got from a supplier in Pakistan, shown here in the Museum of Science in Boston:

When I bought some pairs of 5.11 pants, however, I also bought a 5.11 tactical vest. When I travel I like to keep my hands free and have as many pockets as possible for carrying maps, souvenirs, gear, and what have you, so it seemed like a natural thing to bring to New York City.

With the vest on, I had limitless pockets; my wife was amazed at the number of things I was able to squirrel away to remain hands-free for the duration. I carried maps and pamphlets in the inside left pocket, various tour books in other pockets, an umbrella and folding boonie hat in the rear pouches, the playbill for the Broadway show we watched in the inner gun pocket, flashlights and eyedrops and batteries and keys and other odds and ends in the various outer pouches... and still I had more pockets left over. I bought a padded camera case for my digital camera, which rode under my vest in front of my strong-side hip where I could protect it. My wallet I kept in the front zipper pocket of the vest, with the zipper drawn.

The vest looks pretty casual and, with my matching pants, seemed fairly nondescript, at least to me. Nobody gave me that, "I think you're packing heat" stare that you sometimes get when you're wearing a photog vest or some other sort of firearm concealing garment. (I was in NYC anyway, so I couldn't have carried a gun legally as it was.)

I passed through many security checkpoints with metal detectors (such as at the United Nations, outside of which this "stop the violence" sculpture sits)...

...But I had no difficulties with the various zippers and D-rings on the vest. I didn't even notice the small umbrella I kept in the rear pocket on the less sunny days.

If you're looking for a good all-purpose travel and survival vest, I can highly recommend this one.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Looks a good piece of gear Phil - thus far I have been using Smith & Alexander denim vests - mainly cos so lightweight, as I overheat big time in summer. They do tho give me great non-printing concealment and - enough pockets for oddments.

BTW - some while back I ''straightened out'' that monstrosity of a sculpture - it offended me LOL. If I had known I'd have got you to take a pic exclusively of that - hi-res - so I could do ''surgery'' again!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have several pictures of the statue in high-res, by itself, that I can send you if you like.

Lead Moderator
    I really like my 5.11 vest too. The many size and location of pockets works great. Even on the range it works well. AR mag pouchs, hidden elastic loops for handgun mags, pockets for water bottles, ammo, ect, ect,ect. Their pants are good too. Am considering trying the new nylon blend pants and maybe a discrete carry jacket too.

Assistant Administrator
    Phil - hopefully you got my email - from which you'll have a return addy - I'd sure like some higher res of that ''monstrosity'' - so I can do a better job of putting it back to what it should be!
    Chris - P95

I sent you two pictures this morning -- let me know how they work out.

Assistant Administrator
    Phil - nothing came! Odd - and I have checked my folders carefully - even checked in trash in case I'd burned it in error. Nope zilch. I'll drop a PM.
    Chris - P95

Smile

I Love the "new" statue in front of the UN building, great job. Now they need to put a knot in the nukes.

The vest on you looks great! You give your wife a gigantic hug for me, as my wife does not allow for me to wear my 5.11 vest in her presence!She would insist on a sidearm, but just no vest, and she tollerates the pants.(I'm thinking of getting some 5.11 socks just to get her going.)

On the hottest of days, my vest remains cool. I would have to say that is the beauty of the vest, along with all those pockets.

Assistant Administrator
    Chameleon .... that pic was worked on with all I had at the time ... Phil did tho kindly let me have a couple of better ones and so - Go peek here! - ''straightened'' the sucker out a bit better LOL!
    Chris - P95

Now We're Talking!

Excellent job P95CARRY!
    That's the way the statue should look in a free society.

Links