Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please - Page 2

Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please

This is a discussion on Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky I have two pair of the impact sport. Both work well. Occasional scratchy interference (but not horrible) from my cell phone ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have two pair of the impact sport. Both work well. Occasional scratchy interference (but not horrible) from my cell phone while in my pocket.
    Cell phone interference?
    Now I know why I kept hearing Pat Benatar singing "Hit me with your best shot" while I was deer hunting!
    Damn Bluetooth!
    DHart, rocky and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Smitty.... I have wondered if the electronic muffs are able to provide a really significant level of sound level reduction, or if they just help "somewhat". From what you're saying, I'm thinking that I will continue to want to use the foam IN-ear along with the electronic muffs at the range. In the very unlikely event that I would need to use muffs in a home defense scenario... I'm sure that they will be all that is needed to get the job done.
    The ear muff types are always dependent on how well they seal against your head. NRR measurements you see advertised are based on an anthropomorphic head which is idealized as far as fit is concerned. The true noise reduction will be less. Some electronic ear pro work by interrupting impulsive noise, others rely on the isolation of the muff but amplify non-impulsive noise such as speech (Wolf Ears are an example).

I think the best ear pro are the in-ear electronic types which are molded to fit your ear, but they're pricey - well into 4 figures.
    OD* and CommonCents like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    We've been very happu with the Howard Leight Impact headsets.... they're around 40 bucks on Amazon and work well...
    My wife and I each have a set hanging bedside for bumps in the night, in addition to those in the range bags and vehicles.

agreed
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I purchased the Cabelas brand for handgun hunting this year and they work great...just don't turn them up to loud, or it throws off the actual distance you are hearing something at.

This year, I made that mistake and I swear I could hear a squirrel scratching its ass two mile away. I could hear animals that I could not see.
    That sounds like it would be helpful, but it actually messes you up and makes your head swivel because a freakin chipmunk sounds like an elk walking thru a brush pile.

When adjusted to a volume that closely matches your natural
    hearing range, they work excelllent and still provide the protection they are designed for, while still allowing for proper direction finding of the sound.
    Good to know how they work hunting. I meant to wear mine while hunting this year , but didn't remember to grab them. I wonder how they will work in the duck blind or boat. Might make calling a bit different.
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    My hearing loss is so significant that when I use in-ear silicone/rubber plugs I can't hear anything at all. I have to have the electronic muffs on top of them to hear speech at the range. And it is vital to hear speech at the range! Outdoors I just use the electronic muffs but they are NOT enough protection for indoor range shooting with cement walls and other shooters banging away. I thought they were when I was younger. That may be part of why my hearing loss is so bad now.
    DHart, glockman10mm, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    That's interesting... so you can still use in-ear foam plugs with the electronic muffs to reduce the gun shots more effectively, but then the speakers of the electronic muffs allow you to hear conversation. I can definitely appreciate that as my plugs and muffs combination prevent me from talking with anyone at the range.
    OD* and ShooterGranny like this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

I like my Peltor Sport Tactical 100 electronic--seem pretty compatible to other popular electronic brand Howard Leight. But I have to say the best thing for my ears has been staying out of indoor ranges--especially rifle ranges!
    OD* and DHart like this.
    Bob
    -------
    Retired USAF CMSgt (1971-2001)

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Another vote for Peltor's.

I have a set of Peltor "Pros" I've worn for about 10-15 years, zero issues.

Chuck
    DHart likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

We've been very happu with the Howard Leight Impact headsets.... they're around 40 bucks on Amazon and work well...
    My wife and I each have a set hanging bedside for bumps in the night, in addition to those in the range bags and vehicles.
    I have two sets of Impact muffs and like them. But I use the Howard Leight Impact Pro these days. Their NRR is 30dB as opposed to 22dB which is something like a 7-fold reduction in sound energy, and I definitely think the blast is far less noticeable with them. They're a bit more money, and MUCH larger but I think the protection is superior.
    CommonCents and xtalman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    I have two sets of Impact muffs and like them. But I use the Howard Leight Impact Pro these days. Their NRR is 30dB as opposed to 22dB which is something like a 7-fold reduction in sound energy, and I definitely think the blast is far less noticeable with them. They're a bit more money, and MUCH larger but I think the protection is superior.
    I was just looking at those and thinking that the extra db reduction would be worth the extra money. I've already lost some of my high frequency hearing at this stage and want to preserve as much as I can - but I don't want to stop shooting!
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar

My family uses these too. They work very well.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

I typically go with soft foam disposable plugs like these with 33db noise reduction rating.

https://www.grainger.com/category/ea...ecatalog/N-pep

Buy them by the case at local safety supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I was just looking at those and thinking that the extra db reduction would be worth the extra money. I've already lost some of my high frequency hearing at this stage and want to preserve as much as I can - but I don't want to stop shooting!
    Using them side by side at an indoor range the difference is noticeable.
    If you're going to shoot magnum handguns, or rifles indoors, I would double up.
    For that I generally use custom molded earplugs I make myself from kits on Amazon.
    DHart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    I typically go with soft foam disposable plugs like these with 33db noise reduction rating.

https://www.grainger.com/category/ea...ecatalog/N-pep

Buy them by the case at local safety supply house.
    hey MB... you missed the point.

Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please

I have a set of ProEars which I wear with plugs at the indoor range and really like. I previously tried the Howard Leights Impact Sports but could not get a good seal around my ears.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links