Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please - Page 3

Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please

This is a discussion on Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MSA Sardins with gel filled ear pads are very good. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please

MSA Sardins with gel filled ear pads are very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    I have two sets of Impact muffs and like them. But I use the Howard Leight Impact Pro these days. Their NRR is 30dB as opposed to 22dB which is something like a 7-fold reduction in sound energy, and I definitely think the blast is far less noticeable with them. They're a bit more money, and MUCH larger but I think the protection is superior.
    I just got these for Christmas. Took them to the range today and I'm completely happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    We've been very happu with the Howard Leight Impact headsets.... they're around 40 bucks on Amazon and work well...
    My wife and I each have a set hanging bedside for bumps in the night, in addition to those in the range bags and vehicles.

I've got these but rarely use them, they have an NRR of 22, I normally use Howard Leight L3's, non electronic but they have an NRR of 30, big difference.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the input.

I've ordered a pair of Howard Leight Impact Pros with 30db NRR. Looking forward to checking them out. They will reside on the nightstand as part of the defense gear team.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

With some of these electronic ears, I can hear noises better, but lose the ability to detect which direction the sounds came from. Are there any of these that are better at sound localization than the others?

Quote Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
    With some of these electronic ears, I can hear noises better, but lose the ability to detect which direction the sounds came from. Are there any of these that are better at sound localization than the others?
    Does anyone know how these electronic muffs are designed?

I am guessing there is just an electronic microphone-speaker system that is added to a regular set of earmuffs. That allows for a large passive noise reduction. But, the electronic system limits the level that it passes through. That way, low level speech is passed or even amplified while high-level shots are attenuated to a safe level.

Since there appears to be one volume knob, I am guessing there is one microphone. To retain directionality, each muff would need its own microphone. Does anyone know if any units are built that way?

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    I use Pro Ear Gold. Expensive, but probably the best, or one of the best protection ratings, 30 plus, out there.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If you’re carrying a gun for self-defense, don’t practice like a marksman. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tundracamper View Post
    Since there appears to be one volume knob, I am guessing there is one microphone. To retain directionality, each muff would need its own microphone. Does anyone know if any units are built that way?
    Oh yes - a lot. Every set Gramps and I have had over many years has had a volume knob on each ear. For me that is necessary because I need a much higher volume for my left ear than I do for my right ear, particularly when shooting indoors and using the passive silicone or foam ear plugs under the electronic muffs. As far as directionality, I've never tried to determine that, as long as I am hearing speech and range commands.

Look for the ones with the volume knobs on each ear. And keep spare sets of batteries in your range bag for when one side needs new batteries. It happens.

It is unfortunate that hardly any stores carry electronic muffs that you can try on for fit. The last ones I ordered for myself no way will fit my head and ears because they are the kind in all the pictures here on this thread - with the wire connectors from the headband to each "muff". With my smaller size head, the only kind I can use is the kind with the headband itself that is adjustable.

Pro Ears makes the ones with the adjustable head bands. Here is one style they make for smaller heads:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Ears-Re...pro+ears&psc=1

Prices for various Pro Ears models range from $60 to over $250. We've had the $250 models in the past and they have not seemed to work any better than the lower priced ones of the same brand. Hope this helps.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    I just used my Howard Leight Impact set today (Christmas present). The 22db reduction was noticeably different that the 26db plain muffs I've been using. But I also have SureFire EP3 (24db) in-ear plugs in my ears at the same time.

With the HL muffs, I was able to hear other shooters at the range talking, yet the gunshots were pretty well suppressed.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 226 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links