Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please

This is a discussion on Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the range I typically put foam plugs IN my ears and then a large pair of muffs OVER my ears. As a life-long electric-guitar ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Electronic Hearing protection muffs - your recommendations please

At the range I typically put foam plugs IN my ears and then a large pair of muffs OVER my ears. As a life-long electric-guitar musician and shooting enthusiast, I'm especially protective of my hearing at this later stage of life that I am in.

For home defense, however, I would like to have a pair of electronic shooting muffs to allow me to hear, while also blocking the sound of gunfire. I know from direct experience what it's like to hear firearms being discharged inside a house without hearing protection and my plan is to not be subjected to that without some protection, if I ever need to discharge a weapon against an intruder in my house. Obviously electronic muffs make the most sense for home-defense situations, so you can hear what's going on, but not be brutalized by the sounds of gunfire in an enclosed space.

So... what are the brands or models of excellent quality and which ones are to be avoided?
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Distinguished Member
    We've been very happu with the Howard Leight Impact headsets.... they're around 40 bucks on Amazon and work well...
    My wife and I each have a set hanging bedside for bumps in the night, in addition to those in the range bags and vehicles.

DHart, PhaedrusIV, rocky and 1 others like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I purchased the Cabelas brand for handgun hunting this year and they work great...just don't turn them up to loud, or it throws off the actual distance you are hearing something at.

This year, I made that mistake and I swear I could hear a squirrel scratching its ass two mile away. I could hear animals that I could not see.
    That sounds like it would be helpful, but it actually messes you up and makes your head swivel because a freakin chipmunk sounds like an elk walking thru a brush pile.

When adjusted to a volume that closely matches your natural
    hearing range, they work excelllent and still provide the protection they are designed for, while still allowing for proper direction finding of the sound.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've had a set of Peltor's for over 20 years. Still working fine. They were close to $100 back then.
    DHart and beyourowndog like this.

With what hearing I have left I still use the rubber ear plugs mainly, but I also use the foam ones as well as the electronic joints. They all work for me. What I do not use is the one's that make a person look cute that just sit on top of your ears. Whatever will work. Sometimes high-speed is actually what is considered low-drag. But some just shouldn't be on the shelf at all.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

Senior Moderator
    MSA Sordins for me. Works well, but get the gel ear cushions for the best fit. Also be prepared to double up with foam plugs if the shooter next to you is using a muzzle brake or you're ROing a .38 Super with a comp!
    DHart, OD* and SatCong like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    MSA Sordins for me. Works well, but get the gel ear cushions for the best fit. Also be prepared to double up with foam plugs if the shooter next to you is using a muzzle brake or you're ROing a .38 Super with a comp!
    Smitty.... I have wondered if the electronic muffs are able to provide a really significant level of sound level reduction, or if they just help "somewhat". From what you're saying, I'm thinking that I will continue to want to use the foam IN-ear along with the electronic muffs at the range. In the very unlikely event that I would need to use muffs in a home defense scenario... I'm sure that they will be all that is needed to get the job done.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I purchased the Cabelas brand for handgun hunting this year and they work great...just don't turn them up to loud, or it throws off the actual distance you are hearing something at.

This year, I made that mistake and I swear I could hear a squirrel scratching its ass two mile away. I could hear animals that I could not see.
    That sounds like it would be helpful, but it actually messes you up and makes your head swivel because a freakin chipmunk sounds like an elk walking thru a brush pile.

When adjusted to a volume that closely matches your natural
    hearing range, they work excelllent and still provide the protection they are designed for, while still allowing for proper direction finding of the sound.
    Sounds like a nice excuse to venture over to Cabella's Phoenix to check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Sounds like a nice excuse to venture over to Cabella's Phoenix to check those out.
    I don't have experience with any other brands, but I can tell you that the Cabelas brand work great indoors without using anything else with them.
    And they are priced right.
    PhaedrusIV and DHart like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I use Peltor's.
    PhaedrusIV, SatCong and DHart like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Smitty.... I have wondered if the electronic muffs are able to provide a really significant level of sound level reduction, or if they just help "somewhat". From what you're saying, I'm thinking that I will continue to want to use the foam IN-ear along with the electronic muffs at the range. In the very unlikely event that I would need to use muffs in a home defense scenario... I'm sure that they will be all that is needed to get the job done.
    I shoot my 7.5" AR's with just the Impacts.... Wanna talk about loud? Folks at the range say they can feel the concussion from 30 feet away. Very comfortable with the HL's and no additional plugs.
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I use Peltor's.
    OD... they are a respected name in ear protection... I will check them out.

And, as regards your signature line, I wholeheartedly concur. Our law enforcement people have been getting a raw deal from the media and from groups in our country. An occasional visit to officer.com reveals how common it is for law enforcement officers to walk into an ambush and die. EVERY WEEK we lose dedicated, honest, hard working LE people to ambush, asassination, murder, and vehicular deaths and where is the outrage, the public pressure against those who attack our police? Yet the occasional criminal who disobeys and disrespects LE is shot in the course of their disobeyance and let the riots begin. It's an outrage. I'm so thankful for our President Elect for many reasons, one being that I think he will help reinforce respect for our LE community. Blue lives DO matter... very much so.
    OD* likes this.

Lead Moderator
    I have two pair of the impact sport. Both work well. Occasional scratchy interference (but not horrible) from my cell phone while in my pocket.
    DHart and OD* like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have used the Howard Leight, The Pelator, the Guide group [I think they are the same as Cabela's] And those from Harbor Freight. If I were strictly using them for outdoor range use they all do their job.
    I have some hearing loss and with good foam plugs in I can't hear any conversation at all. With plugs in I have had a couple people walk up behind me that I did not know were there. With the E headphones, I turn the mic's backwards to hear best behind me. I can now hear cars turn in off the highway! The Howard Leight's are the only ones I wear indoors. they react faster and are not confused by echo off the concrete walls.
    The only ones I would not use for SD would be those from Harbor Freight. And only because they are mono only. They are of no help determining direction of sound. On the outdoor range that's not a problem though. Good Luck DR
    DHart and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I shoot my 7.5" AR's with just the Impacts.... Wanna talk about loud? Folks at the range say they can feel the concussion from 30 feet away. Very comfortable with the HL's and no additional plugs.
    I understand. When I'm shooting at the local gun club's indoor range and there is an AR on either side of me, I pace my shooting to work around the concussion. (While they are shooting, I collect spent brass for reloading. Then, I shoot while they are loading their mags.) The sound itself isn't so bad, but the physical concussion can be a bit disruptive to target practice. I guess that's a good thing, as in a real world defense scenario, distracting disruption will be the order of the day!
    OD* likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links