An EDC flashlight for a good price.

This is a discussion on An EDC flashlight for a good price. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I was in St. Louis and had to go through the arch. As you all know if you've been to the arch, you have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An EDC flashlight for a good price.

Recently I was in St. Louis and had to go through the arch. As you all know if you've been to the arch, you have to go through a security checkpoint where they ask you to take your belt off, dance around, show you're not carrying an ankle holster, etc. I didn't carry my pocketknife in with me because I figured they wouldn't let that go, even though in MO a pocketknife with less than a 4 in. blade is not considered a weapon (best not to argue with the rent-a-cops, right? And I can say that because I am a rent-a-cop :-D ) but would they take a flashlight if I had that on?

That being said, what is a good flashlight for EDC that is not terribly expensive but has good SD capabilities?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

1943 - 2009
    The Surefire E2D Executive Defender might be a good choice.

$110.00 MSRP.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    CC, as good as that light is, it does kind of qualify as "terribly expensive" to many folks. I'd recommend the Surefire G2 for about $30-36, or if you're really broke, the Brinkmann Maxfire for $16.99 or so at Target. If you want to spend a bit more, but still be under $100, look at the Fenix lights with the Cree LEDs, such as the P1D-CE, which runs on one 123A lithium battery, or the L1D-CE, which runs on one AA battery. I personally have the P3D-CE, which runs on 2 123A batteries. I love it, and it excels in illuminating indoors, but it does not have the tight hotspot and long throw of a xenon flashlight with a large reflector for outdoor spotting.

I 2nd the Fenix Lights!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I carry a Surefire 6P Defender everyday. It may be a bit big for some people, but it's good for me. I got it for $74.00 at a local cop shop.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The Surefire G2 is an excellent light for the price. As bright as the E2D, pictured, just not quite as compact. At $35 you can't go wrong.

And why should they take your flashlight? That's a silly as taking your nail clippers.... er, wait... um, nevermind.

Just remember to mail order your batteries. Brick and mortar prices are horrible.

-john

I vote for the Fenix P2D. It's small enough to carry in a pocket and puts out 135 lumens.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Mo
    I like the G2 as well - I have 2 of them, though the E2E is a lot easier to carry if you don't mind spending around $80.

As an aside, I took pepper spray into the arch just fine this spring. They didn't say anything as I piled it into the bin with my wallet, keys, etc. The hardest part was leaving my snubbie in my car's console in a St. Louis parking garage!!

The Arch

I carried a G2 Surefire there with no problems, although I did have to make the walk of shame back to the garage. I forgot I had a spare magazine for my Kel Tec .32 in my pocket

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    Thanks for the link, Ace12!...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

fenix, no further questions or comments needed..

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garn View Post
    fenix, no further questions or comments needed..
    LOL!! Except if you'd rather buy American than Chinese! Or if you like momentary-on capability, which is tactically preferred to a multi-mode tailcap switch!

Sorry, this case is not open-and-shut just as soon as someone mentions Fenix.

I would recommend an Inova T2. Plenty bright, plenty tough, only around $40, and has a clicky, momentary-on tailcap switch. How could this thread have garnered 11 replies and no one mentioned Inova?? Are you all that hot to throw your money at the ChiComs?!

Beyond that, if price constraints are not tight, I would go with any of the SureFire LED models. I just spent a hundred bucks on an E1L Outdoorsman, which runs on 1 CR123 and is light, small, but tactically effective (in my view).

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    LOL!! Except if you'd rather buy American than Chinese! Or if you like momentary-on capability, which is tactically preferred to a multi-mode tailcap switch!

Sorry, this case is not open-and-shut just as soon as someone mentions Fenix.

I would recommend an Inova T2. Plenty bright, plenty tough, only around $40, and has a clicky, momentary-on tailcap switch. How could this thread have garnered 11 replies and no one mentioned Inova?? Are you all that hot to throw your money at the ChiComs?!

Beyond that, if price constraints are not tight, I would go with any of the SureFire LED models. I just spent a hundred bucks on an E1L Outdoorsman, which runs on 1 CR123 and is light, small, but tactically effective (in my view).
    PJ,

If an American flashlight manufacturer wants my business, then they need to compete with the imports, plain and simple. I refuse to pay a 100% premium for 50% of the output.

+1 on the g2 surefire. I have the e2 executive, and my friend has the g2 both very nice lights just different price points. The Inova lights are very nice also. PS I got my e2 at whole sale cost from a buddy with a Midway USA distributorship, making it much more affordable.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links