Mattress Holster question

This is a discussion on Mattress Holster question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a mattress holster on-line, just a simple way to bed-down the hand-gun in easy reach at night. Anybody use these? Any suggestions? thanks, ...

I found a mattress holster on-line, just a simple way to bed-down the hand-gun in easy reach at night. Anybody use these? Any suggestions?

thanks, Cannon

At the house, I just use the nightstand. While traveling, my Wilderness Tactical Safepacker works well as a bed holster (just put the pouch flap under the mattress).

Nick

I use the night stand as well. But a mattress holster sounds cool.

me
    I am debating buying an Off Hand Uncle Mikes IWB for behind the bed, between the Bed and wall, for me the Correct hand will not work for that.

Just a thought
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I agree that the speed of a bed holster is appealing, but my only concern would be if other people are in the house. With one of these types of holsters you can draw your weapon without being fully awake.

I am a firm believer in gun located in place where you have to come to your senses before being able to draw! Just my 2 cents.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    http://www.rmholsters.com/

Scroll down to "Bedside Holster".
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    I am a firm believer in gun located in place where you have to come to your senses before being able to draw!
    I don't know about you, but if I am awaken by something that leads me to believe someone is in my house....I AM WIDE AWAKE.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    I don't know about you, but if I am awaken by something that leads me to believe someone is in my house....I AM WIDE AWAKE.
    That's true but I keep my handgun just out of reach of the bed for those times that I'm not sure I'm awake! I'd sure hate to be having a bad dream and find my hand on my SIG P-220!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'd love to find something for my M&P .40 (full-size) with the tac light, that fits it. The gunny sack holster super-velcro'd to the nightstand holds the gun, but not with the light attached.

M2
    If you are well-trained you should be able to properly handle a weapon in your sleep! At least that is what they told me in the military.

Personally, the delay in "waking up" and getting the gun is one I don't want to endure. Keep your finger off the trigger and don't point the weapon at anything you aren't ready to kill, as always, and you are no more dangerous with the gun than you are if you have to get it out of the closet...

Cheers! M2

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I keep my USP in an Uncle Mike's on my bedframe. I have a water-bed, so I had to make my own hook for the holster, but it works great. The Uncle Mike's velcro attachment system made it easy to set up.

I'm not worried about keeping my pistol within reach. People tend to have very limited fine motor skills while sleepwalking or dreaming, enough so that I seriously doubt manipulating the safety would be possible even if I managed to draw the gun in a half-sleep stupor. With a click-bang gun (M&P, Glock, etc), I might be slightly more worried, but not with my USP.

Besides that, I've never been one to sleep-walk or transfer any of my dreams into the real world. YMMV.

I made a mattress holster about 10 years ago from a rack blank (broadcasting item, basically a flat piece of aluminum about 3 inches wide and 2 feet long) that I bent 6 inches at one end 90 degrees and afixed a holster to. The long part of the blank slides between the mattress and box springs and the gun is holstered right where I can get to it.

It works very well and a few years after I made mine, I saw a similar product advertised in a magazine. Yet another thing I thought up that probably could have made me rich that I did not pursue. Figures.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links