Magazine carriers / pouches

This is a discussion on Magazine carriers / pouches within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a spare magazine for my G23. I know most of us do carry a reload, and I use a kydex mag carrier. It ...

I carry a spare magazine for my G23. I know most of us do carry a reload, and I use a kydex mag carrier. It works very well but the problem is, the magazine digs into my side when I am sitting in the car driving. It's OK for short periods of time but really gets annoying after more then about 15 minutes.

We were out this past Saturday all day school supply and clothes shopping and let me tell you, by the end of the day, that mag carrier was really getting on my nerves.

I used to have a fairly cheap but very well made Uncle Mike's single mag pouch, made of ballistic nylon, with a covering flap with Velcro that held it down. The cool thing I thought about it was that since it had that flap that went over the mag and secured with Velcro, it kept the mag base from digging into my side at all and the flap covered the mag and kept dirt and lint and such out of the magazine.

That mag pouch finally wore out a couple of years ago and I just have not been able to find anything that I like as much. Uncle Mike's makes something similar to that older model now but I can't seem to find anyone local who carries them.

What I would really like is something very similar to that old model but with a clip for the belt instead of a slot that I have to feed the belt through, for easy on and off but that will stay on the belt if I have to extract the mag during a real life reload.

So I am asking you all, what is your favorite mag pouch and who makes it?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I found a mag carrier for my G-36 extra mag at the local gun shop...it was almost exactly what you described as one you 'wore out'.
    This was really a cordura cell phone holder with a belt clip. The mag fits well and just a valcro flap holds it in place. Works great for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    A universal single mag carrier should work fine. I got 1? maybe CTD? years ago . Also gerber knife / multi tool pouches work, as do many leather knife pouches.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Even though I wear an IWB holster, I use a OWB magazine pouch and I prefer leather. I have matching Milt Sparks pouches and a couple Galco pouches. All work great.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

1943 - 2009
    A more comfy way to carry a spare mag that might work for you is to go the horizontal route.

Safariland makes this one.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

im too skinny to carry horizontal. i have a vertical iwb which is comfy if im not trying to lean to the left in any way. not sure how to get around that but i think i can live with it

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    A more comfy way to carry a spare mag that might work for you is to go the horizontal route.

Safariland makes this one.
    Thanks Captain, I kind of like the way that one looks.

For the record, the problem I am having is not because I am too fat. If anything it is because I have lost too much weight and now my hips are a bit bony and as a result stick out more than my waist, where my belt rides, does. The causes the mag to poke inward into my side above the belt line. I had hoped everything wold become a bit more comfortable with the weight loss but it seems thee were some unexpected consequences to dropping as much blubber as I have. I still like being skinny better than fat though.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    For the record, the problem I am having is not because I am too fat. If anything it is because I have lost too much weight ....
    I found it, want it back?
    I've looked at that Safariland myself, seems the best way to carry that would be either 11:00 or 1:00 and that's usually where I carry the cell phone. I'm looking for an inexpensive "quick fix" until I can order one of Gary's Def-Con pouches for my G19 - MAN those are comfy!
    Jack

EDIT: Comp-tac sells a magpouch that uses a tek-lok for belt attachment, suppose to allow for 360 degree adjustment - $30. http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=88
    Last edited by maclean3; August 8th, 2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: added info.

I have used AKJ IWB, and mag pouch for some time. Good quality, and price.

http://www.concealco.com/miva/mercha...ory_Code=055MP
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    EDIT: Comp-tac sells a magpouch that uses a tek-lok for belt attachment, suppose to allow for 360 degree adjustment - $30. http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=88
    I have one of these on order. I hope it is as nice as I have heard. I will report back when I get it.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I use exactly what you described, Uncle Mike's with a velcro cover flap for a single model 23 mag. I was actually hoping for a Leatherman case or something like that, but nobody has seen the difference yet (which is what I was going for). Alternate holster for the Glock is Thunderwear; spare mag holder built in.

For my 1911, I have a double mag holder by Galco (something like this). The mags sit quite high (1 1/2" above the belt) and it doesn't bother me at all; YMMV.

I had considered for a while sticking the spare mag in the watch pocket of my jeans, but I can see too many disadvantages with that.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    Originally Posted by maclean3
    I have one of these on order. I hope it is as nice as I have heard. I will report back when I get it.
    Any update on this mag pouch? I really need a good one and am not sure what will best serve. This one is intriguing.

smo
    A leatherman pouch works well for the XD 9 & .40 subcompact magazines. You can close the top flap and nobody knows that its a magazine, and not a tool.

I too would love to see more of the 'enclosed' model of mag pouches.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I was just yesterday looking through a magazine at the local Walmart. I think it was Handgun but not sure. Anyway, there was apretty good article on magazine hoster/holders with pics and manufacturers. Included leather, kydex, and nylon in regular, horizontal and with a flap.

Links