How many magazines? - Page 2

How many magazines?

This is a discussion on How many magazines? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; at min 4 ......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How many magazines?

at min 4 ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I'm guilty of not having any "spare" magazine. I got three for my glock, three for my FNS and two for my wife's XD. I need to buy some more but haven't yet. My eventual goal is to buy two more for each pistol. I figure though that with the compact pistols I will buy the full size service magazines and buy a new spare springs for the flush fitting magazines as I don't want to spend the money on a spare 12 rounder when I can get a 17 round magazine. The spring is what takes most the wear and maybe a follower wouldn't be a bad idea. Those FNH magazine are pricey! Like $50 a piece!

My rifles are pretty we set with the AR15 having 10 and the M1A having eight. I know one day I will regret my neglect of my fully loaded pistol mags and start having failures. I need to get on it and just invest.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

GR
    Interesting, as for me I only take 1 to the range.
    This allows me to drill "eyes focused on target" reloading.
    I do it around 30 times every three weeks so at some point it will be just a mechanical behavior. I hope :)
    At home I have 3 that are always loaded with HPs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sportymonk View Post
    Bought my S&W 9mm Shield which comes with 1 each 7 round and 8 round magazines. I would like to keep one maybe two magazines loaded with hollow points in the gun while at home. This would allow me to have two for use at the range. Any magazines would be 8 round (have heard negative things about the 3rd party 10 round magazines).

So the question is: how many magazines are enough? (I know, like camera lenses - just one more). At $35 a pop, I want to spend wisely.
    As many as you want. Just remember to rotate them. And don't forget that a magazine is part of the weapon and also needs to be cleaned and maintained.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    After the last ammo/magazine scares... I keep a minimum of 5 unopened in the package magazines for every gun I use. Not that I own but that I use, guns I carry, guns I use in 3 gun, guns I love... even more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    OD* likes this.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns others "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I have over 100 1911 magazines, course I've been buying them (and 1911s) for close to 40 years.
    Rock and Glock and AzQkr like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    As many as you want. Just remember to rotate them. And don't forget that a magazine is part of the weapon and also needs to be cleaned and maintained.
    Why rotate them? Magazine springs wear from use not uninterrupted compression. That's an old gun myth that you should rotate mags or download one to ease the springs.
    wizard7mm08, OD*, chp1911 and 1 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

For me, at least 5--but more likely 6-8.
    Bob
    -------
    Retired USAF CMSgt (1971-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Why rotate them? Magazine springs wear from use not uninterrupted compression. That's an old gun myth that you should rotate mags or download one to ease the springs.
    We'll I'll tell you what . You load a mag, throw it ina safe, leave it there for an extended period of time, pull it out when you really need it and hope it works fine. Me! I'll rotate mine and know if there is a problem with one and replace it as needed.

I could careless about a mag spring wearing out. Don't know about any body else. But, me personally, if my life might depend on a piece of equipment working properly I make sure it does. That means occasionally trying it's functions to make sure it works as it's supposed to. I think they call that putting something into rotation don't they? I far as keeping mags clean. I was recently given a Makarov mag by someone who told me it was no good, he couldn't even get more than 3 rounds in it. After about a 20 second inspection I realized the knuckle head never cleaned it. It had about a pound of cosmoline in it. When I brought this to the attention of its previous owner. Me tacticool, laughed, told me magazines didn't need to be cleaned. I thanked him for the mag, his allknowing wisdom on magazine maintenance. Oh yeah almost forgot I cleaned the mag and have put close to 1000 rounds through it without a problem.
    So in short you should do what you want. Me I'll keep cleaning and rotating my magazines. If they ware out I'll replace them. I've always figured my piece of mind and my life and that of my loved ones is worth a lot more than the cost of a mag.

Sponsor
    I carry the shield 45. I carry one in the gun and two spares [ all 7 rounders ] on the street. I bought 3 more 7's and 3 6's when I picked it up so I have range mags and carry mags.
    OD* likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I have over 100 1911 magazines, course I've been buying them (and 1911s) for close to 40 years.
    That's not unusual for a diehard 1911 fan. lol

I've got 30 or so 1911 mags, but I've got over 100 g17 factory mags [ I used to own several g17's and g26's ]. Then there's the 2 dozen 33 round g18 mags in another bag I rarely even remember I own.
    OD* likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    We'll I'll tell you what . You load a mag, throw it ina safe, leave it there for an extended period of time, pull it out when you really need it and hope it works fine. Me! I'll rotate mine and know if there is a problem with one and replace it as needed.

I could careless about a mag spring wearing out. Don't know about any body else. But, me personally, if my life might depend on a piece of equipment working properly I make sure it does. That means occasionally trying it's functions to make sure it works as it's supposed to. I think they call that putting something into rotation don't they? I far as keeping mags clean. I was recently given a Makarov mag by someone who told me it was no good, he couldn't even get more than 3 rounds in it. After about a 20 second inspection I realized the knuckle head never cleaned it. It had about a pound of cosmoline in it. When I brought this to the attention of its previous owner. Me tacticool, laughed, told me magazines didn't need to be cleaned. I thanked him for the mag, his allknowing wisdom on magazine maintenance. Oh yeah almost forgot I cleaned the mag and have put close to 1000 rounds through it without a problem.
    So in short you should do what you want. Me I'll keep cleaning and rotating my magazines. If they ware out I'll replace them. I've always figured my piece of mind and my life and that of my loved ones is worth a lot more than the cost of a mag.
    I have and will continue to do so.

My first pistol has had the same magazine loaded for 13 years and works just as well as it did when I bought it.

You too can continue with what (you think) works for you and I will too. Doesn't make any difference in the long run.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/ma...-ammo-cycling/
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

At least 4 per pistol is my thought

I have a minimum of 5 per gun.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I have and will continue to do so.

My first pistol has had the same magazine loaded for 13 years and works just as well as it did when I bought it.

You too can continue with what (you think) works for you and I will too. Doesn't make any difference in the long run.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/ma...-ammo-cycling/
    Yep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links