How many magazines?

How many magazines?

This is a discussion on How many magazines? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought my S&W 9mm Shield which comes with 1 each 7 round and 8 round magazines. I would like to keep one maybe two magazines ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How many magazines?

How many magazines?

Bought my S&W 9mm Shield which comes with 1 each 7 round and 8 round magazines. I would like to keep one maybe two magazines loaded with hollow points in the gun while at home. This would allow me to have two for use at the range. Any magazines would be 8 round (have heard negative things about the 3rd party 10 round magazines).

So the question is: how many magazines are enough? (I know, like camera lenses - just one more). At $35 a pop, I want to spend wisely.

VIP Member
    My personal standard is a minimum of 4. Back when we went to multiple day shooting schools I had "considerably more than that" for the pistol I used for the classes because we would load several mags per rest period.

Just for range shooting, though, 4 magazines does a good job for me. I do have a whole bunch of magazines for my G42's because they only hold 6 rounds each. So before I take "my Minnes girls" to the range I normally load 6 or 7 magazines - sometimes more. Yes, I have an UpLula loader and can reload mags while I'm there, and often do, but you asked what each of us feels is "enough".

If you are going to be shooting competitions of any kind, figure on enough magazines to be able to shoot 40 rounds per stage of whatever competition you will be "doing". And a belt full of magazine holders, or 3 holders and cargo pants with nice big pockets on the legs. A couple of of the guys we shoot with carry 6 or 7 mag holders on their belts.
    5lima30ret, AzQkr and Nmuskier like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportymonk View Post
    Bought my S&W 9mm Shield which comes with 1 each 7 round and 8 round magazines. I would like to keep one maybe two magazines loaded with hollow points in the gun while at home. This would allow me to have two for use at the range. Any magazines would be 8 round (have heard negative things about the 3rd party 10 round magazines).

So the question is: how many magazines are enough? (I know, like camera lenses - just one more). At $35 a pop, I want to spend wisely.
    I have 6 for my shield. I brought most of them use in good condition from other members in the marketplace of the S&W forum for cheap.
    ShooterGranny and AzQkr like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Where are you shopping for M&P mags at $35.00 a mag???? I bought my new S&W factory mags, 8 rounders, for $19.99 each. I saw a sale ad on one of the forums where they are on sale for $18.99 each online.

I like to have four to six mags for a carry gun so I can rotate them once in a while and for range use.
    ShooterGranny and mr.stuart like this.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

VIP Member
    I have 2 mags with the "good stuff" per gun and 4 more mags with range ammo. SD ammo travels with me everywhere. Range mags just go to the range. Well actually they go everywhere the truck goes. Bag is in back.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    I own a .40 Shield and for quite a while I would have both the seven and six round mags loaded up with carry ammo. When I went to the range I would bring the almost empty box for said carry ammo, put the hollow points in that and then reload it when I was ready to leave. At $40 (local gun shop) for a mag, so far I have bought an extra seven round mag and leave that loaded with hollow points when I visit the range. That way I only need to empty the six rounder.

Personally, since I only carry two mags (one in the gun and one in a pocket) I only feel the need to have a duplicate of each for range sessions when I am carrying my Shield that day. Once I get a six round mag, I will be good to go.

Edit: Though after seeing all the responses, I may pick up more should I ever decide to use my Shield for a tactical/defensive course. But for basic proficiency range sessions, I am satisfied with having two carry and (soon) two range mags.
    TeflonDon likes this.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Ebay

TWO NEW S&W Smith Wesson M&P SHIELD 9mm 8 Round Magazines OEM 19936 *FAST SHIP*!
    838 product ratings
    $44.48
    Buy It Now
    Free shipping
    1729 sold
    The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item

Ebay

2 PACK ProMag Smith &Wesson S&W M&P9 Shield 9mm Extended 10 Round Magazine SMI28
    Gen 2 Model, Upgraded Spring, Frame w/ All new sleeve!
    $43.92
    Was: $69.72
    Buy It Now
    Free shipping
    361 sold
    37% off
    The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item

Senior Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    I've got 5 for my 1911 and 3 17 rounders for my Glock 17 (kind of a panic buy from the election), I haven't bought any for the XDs yet, but I'll probably buy a few 7 rounders for it. I've got them mainly for the range. After all, who really enjoys reloading a magazine after every string of fire?
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

My rule of thumb is 4 mags per pistol and 8 mags per rifle as a bare minimum.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

My G17 I have 4 loaded 17 rounders and one 33 rounder. When I am out and about i usually carry all 3 17 rounders as spares. I have two Pmag 17 rounders for range use (Will probably get two more when on sale )

Concealed carry is a genie which will not get back in the bottle, no matter how hard the antis might try. ~ Mike1956

I bought a couple of extra 8 rounders for my Shield because that's what my spare mag carrier holds. For me that's enough.

I like to have enough magazines to be able to at least load a 50rd box of ammo for the range. Some guns I have enough magazines to load up 250 rounds for the range.

You can never have too many mags.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Depends on the availability and cost of mags.
    If it's something difficult to find mags for I'll stock up as I can afford.
    I have 10 mags for my 10/22. Beretta PX4 9mm, 15 mags.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links