flashlight/battery upgrades?

This is a discussion on flashlight/battery upgrades? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a couple of questions that I can't get a clear answer to just by looking at products, so I thought I'd hit up ...

Thread: flashlight/battery upgrades?

flashlight/battery upgrades?

I have a couple of questions that I can't get a clear answer to just by looking at products, so I thought I'd hit up the flashlight gurus here.
    First, I have an early-1980s 3-C cell mag light. It has sentimental value, believe it or not. After using Surefires and Inova, though, I want to make it "better." I put in a Krypton bulb purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. It is a bit brighter, but bluish, and still not much light for it's size compared to modern stuff. What is a way to make it into more of a "real" light? I saw the C to AA (and I think C to 123A conversion) but don't think that would matter much. Bulbs? CREE lamps? Power sources/lenses? Not looking to spend a million, just want to use it again some.
    Second, the rechargeable set-up for CR123As at about $30 another poster pointed out. With Surefire batteries going for under $3.00 a pop shipped, are these huge money savers? I don't use many batteries any more, especially since I use an LED Inova for general purposes, and I am afraid of things like the battery developing a memory. Any other advantages?
    What Would Gumby Do?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You could get in touch with the fellow that makes the Borealis lights (I think he goes by BLACK BEAR 84 on this site). They are ultra high output lights that sit in a maglite housing. I don't know if he's got anything for a 3C light, but you could always ask.

Proceed directly to CPF and ask your question there.

-john

Links