Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry - Page 2

Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Weapon mounted lights are excellent in some VERY limited circumstances. If I only plan to have one light, it would most certainly be a handheld ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry

Weapon mounted lights are excellent in some VERY limited circumstances. If I only plan to have one light, it would most certainly be a handheld due to versatility. I have no intention to point a firearm at anything and everything I need to look at in the dark.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    I keep a light by the bedside table. And, I always carry a light during the day. But, I subscribe to the theory that flashlights are simply expensive tubes to carry dead batteries in.
    Renaldow, OldVet and CommonCents like this.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.

"To you who call yourselves 'men of peace,' I say, you are not safe without men of action by your side." Thucydides

I have a TRL 1 on my HD pistol along with a hand held light in the pistol safe. Primary reason is that I walk with a cane and have one hand occupied. Just makes it easier to light up the night.

My carry guns do not wear lights, but I always have a light on my person.

IMHO it falls to personal preference and situation. Do a little hands on research with both before you make up your mind. If you're like me, spending money for top of the line just to find out its not going to do what I want is not an option.

When I was looking at a WML I picked up a $20 WallyWorld one just to see if it would work for me. Then I spent the money on a TRL 1 once I decided it worked. The cheap one now resides on a shotgun dedicated to coyote hunting. Not willing to stake my life on WallyWorld's knock off.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My four D-cell Maglite is way too heavy to hang on my G30.
    Your D-cell Maglite is a weapon
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Hones opinion on rail lights for concealed carry

If it's a concern, go out in the dark and practice to figure it out.

Personally, I have both WML and hand held flashlights. They both have their benefits. It's entirely possible to use a WML to get around in the dark and not flag anyone, as long as the light isn't just a pencil beam.

Having fired at night with flashlights and WMLs, I find it much easier to shoot accurately with a WML. Trying to aim both a flashlight and a pistol, quickly, in the dark, while trying to use night sights... takes practice. Using just a WML takes less practice and is more similar to daytime shooting. I'm sure there are some here skilled at flashlight shooting techniques; I'm not.

ETA: my reason to practice after dark was frequent camping and hiking trips, where I carried revolvers. My WMLs stay at home on purposely placed guns. I found using a flashlight and long DA revolvers isn't easy; SA was worth manually cocking the hammer for. Also, if using a handheld be sure to use a flood setting so you don't have to try as hard to aim the flashlight while pulling a trigger. YMMV.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I have a light on my nightstand gun, but not on my EDC.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I won't put a light on any of my pistols. If I need a light, it will be in my left hand. Get a friend and go play hide n seek in the dark. You take a flashlight. I bet he finds you first, instead of the other way around. Darkness is cover to use.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    I won't put a light on any of my pistols. If I need a light, it will be in my left hand. Get a friend and go play hide n seek in the dark. You take a flashlight. I bet he finds you first, instead of the other way around. Darkness is cover to use.
    True;That's part of the advantage.

Most people only think of using a WML like they are coon hunting and give no thought as to the tactical considerations that are involved in the use of a flashlight because they haven't been taught any better.
    Renaldow and LeanHard like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

I am planning to get a wml for my bedside gun as soon as my budget allows. I used to think I would just use the streamlight I also have at my bedside in my off hand if I needed my weapon at night, but I recently tried shooting like that for the first time and discovered that, while I can certainly do it at a reasonable indoor distance under zero pressure, it is quite tricky to keep the weapon and light both pointed at the target while using the sights. As far as wether or not to put a wml on a carry gun, I think that depends on how often you find yourself in the dark when carrying. Then of course like others mentioned, it's a personal preference on how prepared you like to be. Also worth noting is that if you don't intend to shoot someone, your weapon shouldn't be out of the holster and so pointing the light at something you don't intend to shoot shouldn't be an issue. If I'm clearing my house, I want to be ready to shoot. I also want two hands on my weapon to keep someone from taking it from me in case they happen to get the drop on me. As with anything else there are many good options on how to do things and lots of good info and ideas on this forum :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    LeanHard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    Most people know their homes better than intruders and can get around fine in the dark. WMLs don't have to be kept on any more than a flashlight does.
    Chuck R. and OldVet like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Most people know their homes better than intruders and can get around fine in the dark. WMLs don't have to be kept on any more than a flashlight does.
    While this true, it makes it much more difficult and clumsy to flash and move while keeping your weapon neutral.

It also leaves the weapon centerline to your body, which can be a homing beacon for incoming rounds.
    IMO,a wml,is much like a laser in tactical application; safer and more effective when used as a team effort with assigned fields of responsibility.

A homeowner,should not be trying to clear their own house, if at all possible anyway.
    Renaldow and LeanHard like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

I always have a flashlight on me. I have one in my bedside pistol safe too. My safe contains my EDC when I'm not carrying it. I don't like weapon mounted lights on my EDC, that's why I have a PCR instead of a P-01.

After reading this I'm leaning more toward forgetting the light. I'll be carrying some at night however I'm not sure how often it would be pitch black dark at night. Also a thought passing through my head is figure 80-100 for a streamlight, that 80-100 plus a little more would buy a nice pocket .380 pistol for days when I don't wanna carry the g23.
    Renaldow likes this.

OP, take a low light class. Very illuminating I promise.
    Renaldow, LeanHard and OD* like this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post

2) for those of you who do NOT have any kind of rail mounted tactical light how often have you been in a situation where you wish you had a rail light?

I have never been in a situation where I have wished I had a light on my carry gun. I do have a CT Laser Grip that I usually have on it, but no light.

Since I am not going to go looking for a bad guy (not my job) I have no need for it. If I need a light to see where I am going, I would prefer not to be pointing my gun at things that I do not want to shoot just because I need a light. That is what a handheld flashlight is for.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links