Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry - Page 3

Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No reason not to have both a small bright flashlight and a WML. For the times you forget where the flashlight is, you have the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry

No reason not to have both a small bright flashlight and a WML. For the times you forget where the flashlight is, you have the WML, and for the times you don't want to muzzle the light/gun in inappropriate directions, use a flashlight.

One instance where the WML is handy is when you need your weak hand to open doors, etc. If your only flashlight is in your weak hand, you don't exactly have an immediate view into the next room or closet, whereas a weapon light is perfect for that situation. That may be reason enough to get one.

If you're worried about giving away your position and have identified that you are dealing with a criminal not a loved one, then you can always turns either light off. Or you can have a remote switch on your rifle with instantaneous on or off light, lighting up rooms intermittently when appropriate, being in stealth mode otherwise. Some pistol lights have that as well, an instant toggle of some sort.

edit: when writing the above, I was thinking home defense not CC, so less appropriate to OP. Honestly, CC I just carry a small flashlight, no WML.
    CommonCents likes this.

I've kind of wondered around the house some tonight just paying attention to how light various areas are and what not. We keep some low light night lights around the house 24/7 and if I were to wake up with a criminal in the house with my eyes adjusted to darkness plus with the night lights I feel I could identify and both shoot of need be without any kind of extra lights. Never paid that close attention before. The g23 with light doesn't seem to have an abundance of holster choices for one and it's already a somewhat large gun to be concealing anyway, I can only imagine a light would make this even more annoying.
    glockman10mm and Renaldow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    OP, take a low light class. Very illuminating I promise.
    You mean a low light shooting defense class? I've never heard of those around here where I live. I'd have to inquire around to see if anyone offers that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Your D-cell Maglite is a weapon
    My D-cell Maglite is a tool - I am the weapon.

Or maybe it's the other way around...
    Renaldow, G26Raven and Ianthin like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

This is just food for thought, not trying to start a debate.

For the people who have a plan to use a flashlight or WML to clear your home by turning it off and on as needed.... go try that. Blackout your home, wait about 15 minutes for your eyes to adjust, and then see what happens. When you use any kind of light in the dark, you ruin your night vision, and it takes at least 15 mins to get it back. As you go from room to room, turning the light on in the dark as needed, you're essentially blinding yourself for when you shut the light off. You won't notice it so much if your night vision hasn't kicked in yet, but in the dark with your eyes accustomed to the darkness, it may encourage you to rethink your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post

For the people who have a plan to use a flashlight or WML to clear your home by turning it off and on as needed.... go try that. Blackout your home, wait about 15 minutes for your eyes to adjust, and then see what happens. When you use any kind of light in the dark, you ruin your night vision, and it takes at least 15 mins to get it back. As you go from room to room, turning the light on in the dark as needed, you're essentially blinding yourself for when you shut the light off. You won't notice it so much if your night vision hasn't kicked in yet, but in the dark with your eyes accustomed to the darkness, it may encourage you to rethink your plan.
    When you receive proper instruction in the use of a light during low light operations, you will learn techniques that minimize or totally negate your loss of night vision.

I believe proper training for these types of operations are crucial, because they call for advanced techniques and knowledge.
    There is way more involved than just buying tactical crap and hanging it on your weapon and thinking that by throwing money at the problem with gadgets will give you an edge.
    Same applies for a handheld.

But until you receive proper training, the strengths and weaknesses of either will not be known.
    hk45c, Renaldow and Ianthin like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    While this true, it makes it much more difficult and clumsy to flash and move while keeping your weapon neutral.

It also leaves the weapon centerline to your body, which can be a homing beacon for incoming rounds.
    IMO,a wml,is much like a laser in tactical application; safer and more effective when used as a team effort with assigned fields of responsibility.

A homeowner,should not be trying to clear their own house, if at all possible anyway.
    Agreed, there are benefits to both, and the situation should dictate what's used and how.

As far as a WML being a beacon for incoming fire, enough cops have been shot in the gun hand to validate the concern. Unskilled bad guy with a gun will generally fixate on the threat (gun during daylight, light device after dark) and shoot at that. Guess it's best to put lead in them first.

At home, or even out on the town, if a situation merits a team response the best option for non-LEO may simply be a covered retreat.

But I disagree about the common guidance of "homeowners should not clear their own homes." If there's a known threat, yes, if it's possible gather the family, get to a safe room, and let the cops come in and deal with it. But if there's an unknown sound worth checking on I'm going to check it out; I'm not calling 911 every time the house develops a new creak or the pets get into something. That's not house clearing per se, it's moving to explore an unknown risk, but expecting homeowners to not do that isn't realistic.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I think your lifestyle will dictate if you need a light on the gun or not.
    does it look cool? yes ;-)
    its like the "condom concept" good to have one and not use it, but have one if needed.

on a more personal note, I don't give it that much of a priority,. I am almost never in complete darkness,. but I do pack a flashlight,.. just in case.

having a light is not that of a problem...

what I find most annoying is that after you fire just once, my ears are off for the next five minutes,...and not being able to hear whats around you is just bad,. especially at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post

Renaldow likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    After reading this I'm leaning more toward forgetting the light. I'll be carrying some at night however I'm not sure how often it would be pitch black dark at night. Also a thought passing through my head is figure 80-100 for a streamlight, that 80-100 plus a little more would buy a nice pocket .380 pistol for days when I don't wanna carry the g23.
    Here's the Streamlight I EDC. It's small enough to clip in my pocket, bright enough to spotlight things 50 yards out, and has a great strobe for defensive purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...amlight+protac

Aside from a first gen LCP, You'll be hard pressed to find a carry worthy pocket gun for less than $200.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I feel that a light is a target. If the BG sees a moving light he's probably going to aim in that direction. I've never had formal training in this it's just what my common sense tells me.
    Also, I wouldn't pull my firearm just to use the flashlight... I carry one separately.
    "It's always good to be underestimated" - Donald Trump

The chances of most of us needing our firearm to defend ourselves are rare, deciding whether or not to mount a light to your firearm should just be another thing that gives you comfort. We're talking about minute percentages of probability of needing either.

If you shoot better with one hand than two, then I see no reason to have a WML.

If you shoot better with two hands, then a WML could be advantageous, especially one with a momentary on function.

If you decide to have a WML on your firearm, it doesn't take the place of a handheld light. You can't look for the keys that fell between the seats with a WML.

If you are only going to get one or the other, get the handheld. You will need it for many tasks in your life, the WML may never get used. just like the firearm itself.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    You mean a low light shooting defense class? I've never heard of those around here where I live. I'd have to inquire around to see if anyone offers that.
    I'm not sure where in Kentucky you live, but Tactical Defense Institute in West Union, Ohio offers a decent low light class once each year in their Level VI Handgun class. Unfortunately, perhaps is that their classes are sequential, requiring that one takes Levels I-V prior to Level VI. The training there is pricey, but decent. I have taken all the I-VI classes and Active Shooter twice.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    why not have both?

I'd say a WML as for self defense would be much easier to use than a separate flash light for most people

1. chances are, or in the case of.....you will probably be drawing quickly in a SD situation so you won't have time to draw a light as well
    2. using a sep light takes much more training on holding it properly and maintaining a good gun grip
    3. i'd say most would be able to shoot much more accurately with WML with better 2 hand grip than trying to shoot with a sep light.

i'd guess this is accurate for most people. those that train a lot would see advantages with a sep light and more options i would imagine but again, in the case of having to draw quickly, i'd think the sep light would remain in everyones pocket 99.99% of the time making it useless.

lesson: do what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Here's the Streamlight I EDC. It's small enough to clip in my pocket, bright enough to spotlight things 50 yards out, and has a great strobe for defensive purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...amlight+protac

Aside from a first gen LCP, You'll be hard pressed to find a carry worthy pocket gun for less than $200.
    First gen LCP is a great pocket gun :-) but I paid $210 for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links