Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry - Page 4

Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "1) for those of you who conceal carry with tactical rail lights how often do you seriously need them and use them?" To answer your ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Honest opinion on rail lights for concealed carry

"1) for those of you who conceal carry with tactical rail lights how often do you seriously need them and use them?"

To answer your question I have never needed to use the light. I've never had to draw my weapon either.

That being said, I carry a G21 with a WML whenever I know I will be out at night and can conceal the pistol in regards to what I'm wearing.

As a defensive minded person having a WML is always a good option to have whether it's needed in a situation or not. I can think of a multitude of situations where a WML would be effective to use.

Also having a bright handheld light is arguably more handy due to the fact that drawing the weapon requires more just cause and shining a handheld light in someone's face requires much less.

The effects of a bright light in someone's eyes can be vital in your defense assuming it's dark out. Some may say all you really need is a handheld light, but this can be argued easily with different situations. For example I carry my child though parking lots and I'm not going to be able to use my free hand for a light and use a pistol at the same time. If someone is approaching me while carrying my child and I challenge them on there intentions and ask them to stay back and they don't, then drawing the pistol and illuminating the area is well within reason for ME.

Keep in mind just because you draw your weapon and turn the light on doesn't mean you HAVE TO point it directly at them. This is why a good light should be as bright as possible and have good "spill" and if he continues then you may be justified to point the pistol at them and temporary blind them and try to move.

Is a WML mandatory for me? No. Do I carry one often when applicable? Yes.

I like options.
    GR likes this.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    True;That's part of the advantage.

Most people only think of using a WML like they are coon hunting and give no thought as to the tactical considerations that are involved in the use of a flashlight because they haven't been taught any better.
    I couldn't agree more. Training and practice with a WML is very understated. There is a right way to use a WML and a wrong way. This is also true for a handheld light in general in regards to searching or assessing a potential threat.

Of course that's a whole other topic in itself!
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

GR
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    I won't put a light on any of my pistols. If I need a light, it will be in my left hand. Get a friend and go play hide n seek in the dark. You take a flashlight. I bet he finds you first, instead of the other way around. Darkness is cover to use.

So what if the other hand is occupied and you really can't see a thing?
    I mean as facts go you will be surprised by the attacker most likely in a situation you will not even see coming.

I'm just trying to figure out how would you handle that since I guess experience/training might/or not give you the knowledge people like me don't have.

I mean this is just one scenario out of many so I'm still trying to find a reason why NOT to have that WML just in case "one out of a million" happens to you.
    LeanHard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GR View Post
    So what if the other hand is occupied and you really can't see a thing?
    I mean as facts go you will be surprised by the attacker most likely in a situation you will not even see coming.

I'm just trying to figure out how would you handle that since I guess experience/training might/or not give you the knowledge people like me don't have.

I mean this is just one scenario out of many so I'm still trying to find a reason why NOT to have that WML just in case "one out of a million" happens to you.
    Everybody's situation is different. For me, the only time I'd be doing this would be 3am in my own home. I live alone. I know my home. At night I can walk it in the dark with no problems. Already there's two major advantages over any kind of intruder. Also, since I live alone, if someone's in my house I don't really need to identify friend/foe. At 3am in my home, it's always going to be a foe. If I had kids, roommates, etc. I'd likely rethink it and figure out what method will work best for me in that situation. So chances are I'd have no light at all on me, and if I did, it's not going to be on unless it absolutely positively has to be.

It's my thought that most people don't trust their night vision as much as they could. We can actually see pretty good in the dark once our eyes adjust. I do a lot of astronomy and camping in the warmer months, and that's a situation where I'm outside in as pitch black an area as possible, with absolutely no lights. I've learned to set up telescopes, manipulate optics, even sketch and write with no light. It's difficult at first, but it's a learned skill like any other.

My thought for house clearing type situations is, if you're going to walk around with a light on, you might as well just skip the flashlight and turn on lights as you go. That will take away the advantage of darkness that the intruder is enjoying, while allowing you to see. Walking around the house with a flashlight or wml on gives the advantage of darkness to the intruder and puts a mobile beacon on yourself so the intruder can easily see you approaching. With a flashlight or wml, an intruder can know where you are, but if you're turning on and leaving on lights in your home, an intruder can only know where you've been.

Again, these are just my thoughts on the matter and what I've found works for me.
    GR likes this.

VIP Member
    I carry a single battery AA light in my pocket. I use it almost every day. I do not however have a light on my CC. All of my flashlight needs to this day haven't required me to be pointing a gun at them at the same time. I can see the appeal for a HD gun but have no need on a daily CC pistol.
    glockman10mm likes this.

I recently added a way/with a laser to my Ruger 9e. If I ever need a light and my weapon, it's got to be in the same place. My physical limitations prevents me from using them independently. It dose have its limitations as I have yet to find a holster that doesn't look like it came straight out of a Rambo movie. Although those holsters have there place they're not practical for concealed carry. If I can't find one I might take it off or probably buy another 9 for daylight carry. If anyone has suggestions?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

VIP Member
    Pretty much everything I ever thought I knew about WMLs and flashlights was de-bunked when I took my first low light shooting class. The flashlight I carry is a non-lethal, stand-alone weapon before my gun ever leaves the holster. Unless one's opinion is based on personal experience and training, there really isn't much to discuss on threads like this one.

WMLs, IMO have a very limited and narrow set of practical applications for the non-LEO, non-door-kicking concealed carrier. If one wants to spend the money and go through the trouble of getting the gear to carry one edc, that's their business. Personally, I see no point.
    "To reject the notion of expertise, and to replace it with a sanctimonious insistence that every person has a right to his or her own opinion, is silly."

Tom Nichols

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links