Surefire, etc in a CCW restricted location

This is a discussion on Surefire, etc in a CCW restricted location within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, sorry if this has been covered previously, but I was wondering if there are any laws concerning carrying a tactical light into a ...

Thread: Surefire, etc in a CCW restricted location

Question Surefire, etc in a CCW restricted location

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered previously, but I was wondering if there are any laws concerning carrying a tactical light into a bar or other CCW restricted area? I live in Florida, we are not allowed to carry in bars, schools, etc but I do think that having my surefire with me would be better than having nothing at all in the event that I had to defend myself. Thanks for any info.

2. Remove Ads

Never heard of a flashlight being banned anywhere...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

unless your surefire has been modified into an lightsaber.

I can't believe that to be true, but perhaps someone else may shed some 'light' on that thought...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    It is hard for me to believe this is a serious thread. If it is, I suggest the OP refer to, read, and understand the applicable laws.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...e_Request=XLVI

If questions remain concerning the application of the laws then either contact the Attorney General or your personal attorney.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You can carry a good solid flashlight pretty much anywhere, even through secure areas of airports, etc. where even plastic kubatons are banned. I'd much rather have a solid, BRIGHT flashlight at my side or in my hand than nothing at all, if for nothing else than to remedy the fact that the majority of no carry places tend to be confined spaces.

'nuff said....

So what if it's a flashlight? What exactly is your concern?

Sorry, I realized after I had posted that this must sound ridiculous because I left out some details. My concern is with the lights that have the blunt ridges on the front such as the Surefire Defenders. I'm sure some people would try to classify this as a weapon, which is my concern. Even though it has no sharp or edged surfaces, they would probably say it's a club or something...that's what I meant to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredw View Post
    ... My concern is with the lights that have the blunt ridges on the front such as the Surefire Defenders. I'm sure some people would try to classify this as a weapon, which is my concern...
    I have carried my E2D through airport security numerous times, both on my person and in my carry on bag, without any difficulties at all. If TSA doesn't care, I doubt anyone else would (IANAL).

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Turn the light on, and place it face down on a hard surface. Voila, you just showed them why there are cutouts on the bezel of your flashlight... if it even comes up.

My mini-mag light can be used as a kubaton...my pen used as a dagger....

Me thinks you're seeing trees instead of the forest.

TSA

I asked TSA this question when I worked at an airport fire station. Not restricted. They don't consider them weapons.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Yeah, but give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredw View Post
    Hi all, sorry if this has been covered previously, but I was wondering if there are any laws concerning carrying a tactical light into a bar or other CCW restricted area? I live in Florida, we are not allowed to carry in bars, schools, etc but I do think that having my surefire with me would be better than having nothing at all in the event that I had to defend myself. Thanks for any info.
    If you insist on going to a bar (I recognize the broad variety of environments encompassed in the word "bar"), keep it simple. I would suggest something more in-line with an Inova X5, or a Surefire w/o the strike bezel. It will do all you want with none of the gore, and you won't lose your light to a bouncer who's seen a strike bezel properly used before.

Lots of folks carry these things, but really don't understand what they can do, and how. In a genuine FUT, and not a soccer-daddy shoving match, you'll be flaying large sections of face and scalp away. "Pain-compliance" is a joke with these light tools, as they readily, instinctively, fall into the hammer-fist methodology. You'll hurt someone's ribs or back, but you can destroy a face. Just be aware in selecting your tool... saying,"I didn't mean to", won't mean much.

Links