Speaking of flashlights...

This is a discussion on Speaking of flashlights... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a couple this week. The first was the Brinkman MaxFire . It's about the length of a mini-Maglite and uses two CR123A ...

Thread: Speaking of flashlights...

I picked up a couple this week.

The first was the Brinkman MaxFire. It's about the length of a mini-Maglite and uses two CR123A 3V Lithium batteries. It's sealed with o-rings for water resistance. It's very bright, brighter than my Glock light. It can be found at Walmart for $20.

The next light is a 3 watt LED from Rayovac. It's about the same size as the MaxFire and runs on two AA batteries. This light is also incredibly bright at 80 Lumens, easliy rivaling the MaxFire and Glock light. This one can also be found at Walmart for $25. Be sure to get the 3 watt version. They have a 1 watt that's packaged the same and $5 less, so read the rating. FWIW... I bought a 2nd Rayovac for my Dad today. Very impressive light.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Looks like a decent light at a real good price! Let us know how you like it but it looks pretty good!
    Gideon

I got that same flashlight with a 3-watt 'Luxeon' LED bulb from Cabelas for $19.99. Same light with the Cabelas logo on it and different packaging. Great light for the price, I got 2.

SY

Found it on Cabella's website... Cabela's 3 Watt LED

So, if you have a Cabellas nearby or will be traveling by one, a better deal to be found there. Unfortunately, the nearest one to me is on the other side of the state. PS... it's back-ordered on the website as of 2303 on 8-16-2007.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's funny, I was at walmart just a short while ago (late night after-work trip) and looked at that Rayovac light. I don't need one real bad right now (flashlight department is well-covered, here) but I still browse. I wasn't really sure about the type of switch that it has. I demand a clicky switch, with momentary-on capability. The package described it as push the button for momentary on, twist for constant on. Sounded weird, so I left it behind.

I did get a small 3AA Coleman lantern, though. It's sized for a backpack. Not the brightest thing in the world, but it would be good to light up inside a tent. Also I got a 6 LED Energizer headband light. It has two spot LEDs, two flood LEDs, and two red LEDs. It's OK, but once out of the package it was clearly not as well made as my old 3 LED Princeton Tec headlight.

Slowly but surely the prices of flashlights are coming down as the quality goes up. A welcome trend in the face of the Gladius and the Kroma, I would love to have one but $200+ for a flashlight???
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

peacefuljeffrey,

The tail cap switch is momentary only. Constant on is achieved by twisting the tailcap (screw it on further).

I also have several headlamps- one or two for each in my family. Last year we had a terrible ice storm and lost power for about a week. The headlamps were very useful. I like the headlamps that can be flipped upward to bounce off the ceiling. This prevents blinding the people around me.

Semperfi.45- I also have a hard time spending that much on a flashlight. That's why I shop at WalMart

Went to the range tonight and did some low light/no light shooting at the poppers. I used a G22 (w/nightsights) + Glock light and a G27 (regular sights) with the forementioned flash lights in this thread.

The G22+Glock light was the easiest to use, especially with the night sights.

The G27 was trickier because I was shooting one handed and holding the light in the weak hand. The LED was plenty bright, but I can definitely say the Brinkman MaxFire performed better for me, mostly due to the wider, smoother beam pattern.

Now I just need to get night sights on the G27.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I just got the Rayovac 3 watt LED. It is very nice. Not quite as bright as my Inova T4 or Coast tactical 3 watt, but still very bright. I'm guessing that it is actually closer to 65 lumens. I think the color may have something to do with the perceived brightness. It is slightly blue/purple/white whereas the T4 is slightly green and the Coast is slightly yellow. It doesn't have quite the throw of these two but it has much more short range sidespill, plus you can adjust the beam for a decent floodlight. It is supposed to run longer on rechargables.

I think this is the "best bang for the buck" LED flashlight out there.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Nice

I was about to post a thread on this light and then bam...here it is. So far so good with this little light. It is brighter than my G-2 but runs on AA and for twice as long...great deal for those on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by mhm2a View Post
    I was about to post a thread on this light and then bam...here it is. So far so good with this little light. It is brighter than my G-2 but runs on AA and for twice as long...great deal for those on a budget.
    After getting my Rayovac...I put my G2 in the dresser and started carrying it...
    I bought the Rayovac because I had one of the Brinkman Maxfires for in the house use (kept the G2 for carry) and it came up missing. (and who knows how...the other day our American Bulldog pup walked by me in the kitchen and was carrying one of my Heritage Arms SA .22s in her mouth...I had just returned from the range and it was lying on my bed waiting to be cleaned and put away... )

When I went to two different WalMart stores to replace the light...I couldn't find a single Maxfire on the rack...at either store...about 45 miles apart...

Then I saw the Rayovac and decided to give the 3 watt a try...

So far I REALLY like it!
    NRA Certified Basic Pistol and Basic Rifle Instructor
    Coming soon- Range Safety Officer and Metallic Cartridge Instructor Certification

US Concealed Carry Magazine

One of the Officer's I work with has one. Seems to be ok.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

That Rayovac 3 watt is one cool little light. Being able to use 2 AA batteries is a real plus. I've got 1/2 dozen mini Maglight LED flashlights and while they are nice they tend to quit or break easily. The Rayovac seems much tougher and brighter. I've also got a couple of Surefire 9N and Brinkman Xenon that use the 123 batteries. They are nice but are hard on expensive batteries. The price of the Rayovac pretty much makes it a hands down winner for me. One of these days I'm going to get one of those 1050 lumens modified Maglights and charge it off to taxes as a job expense.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I really really like this light. Runs about 1.5 hours on two AA batteries, and is about as bright as my Surefire g2 or Coast tactical focus. It used to be my walk-at-night light, but my dad now uses it for work. That is, until I get him a g2 for xmas

I just received this email from the NRA store. Apparently. they're impressed with the Rayovac light too. They claim that the FBI uses it!

Here's a link... http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....tid=SA%2022619

Available at a Walmart near you for $24.95. I sold a lady on two of them this afternoon. No, I don't work at Walmart. I just like to check out the new flashlights and she happened to be looking at the 4D cell Maglight at the same time.

Links