New Tool in the Box

New Tool in the Box

This is a discussion on New Tool in the Box within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Gladius Night Ops tactical light. It has strobe, momentary on, constant on, and dimming capabilities. Anyway, it seems like a ...

Thread: New Tool in the Box

New Tool in the Box

I just picked up a Gladius Night Ops tactical light. It has strobe, momentary on, constant on, and dimming capabilities. Anyway, it seems like a great tool to have and will go with me on a daily basis.

Anyone here have more experience with the Gladius?

BTW, the price I found was $40 below any price I found in stores or online.

Assistant Administrator
    Not to drift your thread but eagle5 ... called to visit me recently and had a super small Fenix with him. It was super bright - from a AA battery and also had a strobe function if switch button touched when on. Oh yes, and dimming.

Rather liked it and may have to get one!

These are very attractive features, whatever the make.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I haven't heard of the Fenix yet. I'll check it out and hold my breath that I remain happy with my purchase.

May end up passing the Gladius off to my wife.

Lead Moderator
    Hope yours works well. My buddy sells em. He got a dud, it would not turn on , even once the tailcap was replaced(factory suggestion) . after looking at the innards , I think they are too complex of wiring / circuitry for a combat light.
    Just my opinion.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

fenix are very good lights,,,just below the surefires,,,

have a fenix L2D-ce led ,that runs on 2 AA batts,,,135 lumens ,,strobe feature,very happy with it,,,

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Remember a couple of things:

- the lumen rating is a verrrrry subjective thing, and just because they say 135 lumens, doesn't mean you're going to say, "Hey, wow, this light is more than four times as bright as my 30 lumen SureFire E1L!" Manufacturers find ways to disingenuously pad their numbers.

- Fenix is a chinese company. SureFire is American-made. Proven in the field.

- Given the kind of switch that the Fenix lights use (reverse clicky, or multi-mode) they are not really well-adapted to tactical use. If'n I'm gonna get tactical (not likely, but still) with a flashlight, I want to be able to zap 'em with light and then shut it off. That subject comes up in one of the episodes in the first season of Personal Defense TV.

I don't want to downgrade anyone's new flashlight. I have tried various brands that saved me a little cash...most times I have been disappointed...I always go back to my faithful SureFires...
    My SureFires cost a little more, but they ALWAYS work...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just recently picked up a T.O.P. Stryker Compact. I really had no idea what to think about this little flashlight but so far I am impressed. I have been using a Surefire G2 but found that I don't carry too often because of its size. Everyone knows the saying that a .22 on you is better than a .45 in the sock drawer at home. Same concept. I was starting to go with the SF Executive 1 battery light....but was unimpressed with the 15 lumen issue Therefore I went to the TOP which utilizes a 30 lumen LED in which I actually get more run time on 1 battery than with my SF with 2. (sacrificing half of the power and SF light for LED....but life is a series of compromises) Overall, I am happy.

forgot to mention......it comes with a barrel extension so that it can be used with 2 AA batteries with the same output......just in case I run out of 123 batteries in a pinch
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The Gladius is a great light, you will not be disappointed.

VIP Member
    I also have a Gladius and it saved both me and my dog the other night!

In a cross walk at night in a rather dark area the strobe sure got an approaching car's attention quickly and just in time too!

It's a great tool!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Not to drift your thread but eagle5 ... called to visit me recently and had a super small Fenix with him. It was super bright - from a AA battery and also had a strobe function if switch button touched when on. Oh yes, and dimming.

Rather liked it and may have to get one!

These are very attractive features, whatever the make.
    Love my Fenix P3D
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Thanks for all of the replies. I am always open to new ideas and equipment. So far, I am impressed with the Gladius.

I have used it several times at work in just one day without a hiccup. Even in broad daylight, it was able to eliminate the shadows that were blocking my view.

Agreed with others it is an excellent illuminator albeit at first folks will blanche at the price.
    I've had mine a year and sent it in last month for review/replacement of the tail cap. They had said they would replace the tail cap but in fact they sent me a whole new unit with new batteries to boot!
    My old one was pretty well worn as I used it often and carried it in the Gladius light carrier.

The strobe feature is quite useful and as a side item it works great to help settle my 4 and 1 yr. old when they get over tired.
    I turn off the room lights and then blast them with the strobe which they think is great fun and I don't know why but they settle down from that quickly where as moments before they would be acting crazy or crying uncontrollably. For that alone it's worth the cost of entry.

I'd picked mine up discounted from Botach as per suggestion from a member over at SigForum. I've got zero complaints about it or the company.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sponsored Links