Celox? to add to my kit

Celox? to add to my kit

This is a discussion on Celox? to add to my kit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure if First aid items fit here or not, but here it goes... What's everyones take on Celox or Quickclot. I've used QuickClot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celox? to add to my kit

Celox? to add to my kit

I'm not sure if First aid items fit here or not, but here it goes...
    What's everyones take on Celox or Quickclot. I've used QuickClot on myself before for deep cuts(while out on a trail), but it burns like he!!. I've read that Celox works (supposedly) like quickclot but doesn't burn. Any of you emt/fire/ems guys out there recommend it or have any input. I'm not talking about using it on arterial bleeders etc...(don't have the training - although I probably should - if my work schedule ever opens up I'm planning on signing up down at the volunteer fire station down the road, but right now I can't). At any rate, my planned usage would just be for bad/deep cuts etc... while I'm out on the trails this year(band-aids don't always cut it).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator

Post I have QuickClot...I'll need to check out Celox.

Bleeding - Just an added FYI

Major bleeding may be a life-threatening condition requiring immediate attention. Bleeding may be external or internal. Bleeding may be from an ARTERY, a major blood vessel which carries oxygen-rich blood from the heart throughout the body. It may be from a VEIN, which carries blood back to the heart to be oxygenated or bleeding may be from a CAPILLARY, the smallest of our body's blood vessels.

ARTERIAL bleeding is characterized by spurts with each beat of the heart, is bright red in color (although blood darkens when it meets the air) and is usually severe and hard to control. ARTERIAL bleeding requires immediate attention!

VENUS bleeding is characterized by a steady flow and the blood is dark, almost maroon in shade. Venus bleeding is easier to control than Arterial bleeding.

CAPILLARY bleeding is usually slow, oozing in nature and this type of bleeding usually has a higher risk of infection than other types of bleeding.

FIRST AID FOR BLEEDING IS INTENDED TO:

STOP THE BLEEDING
    PREVENT INFECTION
    PREVENT SHOCK
    How to control bleeding

Apply DIRECT PRESSURE on the wound. use a dressing, if available. if a dressing is not available, use a rag, towel, piece of clothing or your hand alone.

IMPORTANT:
    ONCE PRESSURE IS APPLIED, KEEP IT IN PLACE. IF DRESSINGS BECOME SOAKED WITH BLOOD, APPLY NEW DRESSINGS OVER THE OLD DRESSINGS. THE LESS A BLEEDING WOUND IS DISTURBED, THE EASIER IT WILL BE TO STOP THE BLEEDING!

If bleeding continues, and you do not suspect a fracture, ELEVATE the wound above the level of the heart and continue to apply direct pressure.

If the bleeding still cannot be controlled, the next step is to apply PRESSURE AT A PRESSURE POINT. For wounds of the arms or hands, pressure points are located on the inside of the wrist ( radial artery-where a pulse is checked) or on the inside of the upper arm (brachial artery). For wounds of the legs, the pressure point is at the crease in the groin (femoral artery). Steps 1 and 2 should be continued with use of the pressure points.

The final step to control bleeding is to apply a PRESSURE BANDAGE over the wound. Note the distinction between a dressing and a bandage. A dressing may be a gauze square applied directly to a wound, while a bandage, such as roll gauze, is used to hold a dressing in place. Pressure should be used in applying the bandage. After the bandage is in place, it is important to check the pulse to make sure circulation is not interrupted. When faced with the need to control major bleeding, it is not important that the dressings you will use are sterile! use whatever you have at hand and work fast!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A SLOW PULSE RATE, OR BLUISH FINGERTIPS OR TOES,
    SIGNAL A BANDAGE MAY BE IMPEDING CIRCULATION.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signs and symptoms of INTERNAL BLEEDING are:

bruised,swollen, tender or rigid abdomen
    bruises on chest or signs of fractured ribs
    blood in vomit
    wounds that have penetrated the chest or abdomen
    bleeding from the rectum or vagina
    abnormal pulse and difficulty breathing
    cool, moist skin
    First aid in the field for internal bleeding is limited. If the injury appears to be a simple bruise, apply cold packs to slow bleeding, relieve pain and reduce swelling. If you suspect more severe internal bleeding, carefully monitor the patient and be prepared to administer CPR if required (and you are trained to do so). You should also reassure the victim, control external bleeding, care for shock - loosen tight-fitting clothing and place victim on side so fluids can drain from the mouth.

Thanks QK. I always take more info.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    Good information from you on the Celox.
    You need to be able to stop major bleeding especially if out in the middle of nowhere.

BTW a 50mW Green Laser Light pen will halt open wound bleeding but, I really don't know anything about the technique. I only just recently read about it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Good information from you on the Celox.
    You need to be able to stop major bleeding especially if out in the middle of nowhere.

BTW a 50mW Green Laser Light pen will halt open wound bleeding but, I really don't know anything about the technique. I only just recently read about it.
    Now that's cool. I'm going to have to read up on that too...not that I'm going to spend that kind of money but...who knows

-The Mist (2007)

We used to carry "Trauma-Dex" on our ambulance and have used it many times with great success. Now it is unavailable as all supplies of it is for DoD use in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We now, as of 3 weeks ago are using QuickClot ACS which has the granules inside of a 4X4 type dressing so it is less messy than dealing with the loose granules. Also it is a newer formulation than the original which is reported to cause much less burning sensation.

By the way, the heat comes from the chemical reaction as the material absorbes the water out of the plasma component of the blood which is what facilitates the clotting action.

The burning can be reduced by taking an absorbant bulky dressing and wiping away as much excess blood from the wound as possible before immediately adding the QuickClot and applying the pressure dressing.

Unfortunately or fortunately I haven't had a major bleeding injury since getting the QuickClot ACS 4x4's to try them out yet.

We did have an arterial bleed last month on a guy who fell through his storm door window and I was kind of pissed because the QuickClot hadn't come in yet and we had to treat it the old fashioned way.

I have not had any experience with the Celox as of yet.

There are some other cool new "Hemostatic" dressings out on the market to stop uncontrolled bleeding such as "HemCon" and "ChitoFlex" dressings but they are much more pricey than QuickClot, Trauma-Dex and Celox.

If you are looking for cool "cutting-edge" new tactical medical equipment for your kits that is being used by DoD check out North American Rescue here: http://www.narescue.com/

They are DoD & GSA suppliers and have done a lot of the R&D to develop the new products being used today by DoD. I believe the President & CEO of the company is an ex-USAF Pararescueman.

They do handle private individual sales to the public I think. Not positive as I purchase my personal stuff through our Ambulance Service Accounts and then do payroll deduction. A nice perk of our job to spread out the cost over a couple months.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quick Clot may burn, but when it is really time to use it, that is better than the other possibility.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

twice i cut myself pretty deep. antiseptics are a must even if it's hand sanitizer (i'm addicted to the stuff) and i have super glue. the original purpose to it's invention was for medical use and it works great. temporary, non toxic, and kept me from getting stitches both times. also left no scarring. they were deep cuts too... me, a knife, and a brain fart... don't ask.
    What's this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Quick Clot may burn, but when it is really time to use it, that is better than the other possibility.
    Yeah...good point.

-The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by downrange View Post
    twice i cut myself pretty deep. antiseptics are a must even if it's hand sanitizer (i'm addicted to the stuff) and i have super glue. the original purpose to it's invention was for medical use and it works great. temporary, non toxic, and kept me from getting stitches both times. also left no scarring. they were deep cuts too... me, a knife, and a brain fart... don't ask.
    I cant believe I didnt think of that. Thats a good one. Thanks!

-The Mist (2007)

Quick clot is good stuff in an EMERGENCY. It can cause complications but if it's all you have, it's much better than nothing and does it's job very well for what it is. From what I heard from the CLS folks in Iraq, they were trying to stay away from the powder stuff, and there was a new gel that does much better. I don't know if it's on the civilian market yet though.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Administrator
    Super Glue
    Super glue sure works but, it makes for tough healing if you happen to bust the same wound back open again.
    Just FYI.
    I have used it though rather than going in for stitches.
    You need to be very careful about cleaning out the wound before you seal it up especially if it's a deep one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Super glue works for wound closure, but....

You really need to know what you are doing, particularly when it comes to properly irrigating and evaluating the wound before closing it.

It might be OK in an emergency, when you truly cannot seek qualified medical care, but it is a VERY poor substitute for qualified medical care when it is available.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Super glue works for wound closure, but....

You really need to know what you are doing, particularly when it comes to properly irrigating and evaluating the wound before closing it.

It might be OK in an emergency, when you truly cannot seek qualified medical care, but it is a VERY poor substitute for qualified medical care when it is available.

Matt
    Yeah thanks. I understand. The main reason I was looking into the blood clotting stuff was for the emergencies(like when I'm out on a trail 20 miles in and can't find help immediately). It's about that time of the seasons again. I really hate hiking in the summer. Fall is my favorite time because the weather is great, but you have to worry about taking a bullet from some dummy thinking you're a deer(hence the emergency kit).

-The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yeah thanks. I understand. The main reason I was looking into the blood clotting stuff was for the emergencies(like when I'm out on a trail 20 miles in and can't find help immediately). It's about that time of the seasons again. I really hate hiking in the summer. Fall is my favorite time because the weather is great, but you have to worry about taking a bullet from some dummy thinking you're a deer(hence the emergency kit).
    Yeah, copy that. Used to love biking or hiking the C&O towpath. Not in the populated areas, but miles out where it's just you and the river and you might not see anyone else for hours.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links