Attn LEO's need recommendations light & cuffs - Page 2

Attn LEO's need recommendations light & cuffs

This is a discussion on Attn LEO's need recommendations light & cuffs within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two flashlights. Not the Maglite type-too big. There are smaller and brighter ones out there. Surefire, Stinger, Pelican, etc. Get a big one and a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attn LEO's need recommendations light & cuffs

Two flashlights. Not the Maglite type-too big. There are smaller and brighter ones out there. Surefire, Stinger, Pelican, etc. Get a big one and a small one. Two is one and one is none. Your baton is an impact weapon and works much better than an outdated flashlight design.

Hinged cuffs. Peerless and S&W are good brands. We are issued ASP cuffs and they are alright. Get double locking cuffs. Carry one set of oversize cuffs in the squad. Get zip cuffs if they are authorized. They work well in a pinch.

Other ideas...

While I was an LEO a good set of handcuffs and flashlight were a must. But since those options have been drilled into the ground, I would like to suggest a few other ideas.

A good pair of gloves is also a must I think. Exspecially gloves that are cut resistant. It's pretty easy to find sharps on people in the streets, so your son should always wear cut resistant gloves while searching people.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=GL005

Another item I never left without inside my duty bag were zip cuffs. When working at night, these come in handy with multiple drunks outside of a bar, and with a quickness. It's a good one up to get the situation back into your hands.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=RS068

And I know as crazy as this sounds. Belt keepers are a nice thing to have too. They attach over your duty belt to your pants belt, to attach them together. It's real nice not having your duty belt flopping all around while chasing after someone.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=NP318

Another thing that I really liked was another handcuff key that is oversized and very easy to handle. I used to keep it on my duty belt, so that while handcuffing someone, while leaning them back, I could doublelock the cuffs right after I applied the hinges.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=RS121

These are just some other ideas I had around in my head while I was reading this post. There are a lot of things out there for your son to get, most of which I am hoping the department will provide if he asks. You can have him check out Galls.com though for more ideas, that is the site I ordered most of my equipment from while I was working as an LEO. Hope this helped! =D

Dave

Administrator
    There is some pretty good advice here, but I would stay away from the black cuffs. Mine turned rusty the first time I put them on a sweaty slob.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There is some pretty good advice here, but I would stay away from the black cuffs. Mine turned rusty the first time I put them on a sweaty slob.
    Send them to Tripp Research and have them hard chromed.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Send them to Tripp Research and have them hard chromed.
    Thats not a bad idea, but is it really worth doing? I have six pairs, two are the black S&W. I just use the blacks ones now as extras (All the S&W's are extras now)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes. I sent all my cuffs I was issued to TR and had them HC'd. They charge only $10-15 per miscellaneous item. One of my subordinates soaked his HC'd cuffs in battery acid for a week and they still worked fine with no tarnishment to the finish.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Yes. I sent all my cuffs I was issued to TR and had them HC'd. They charge only $10-15 per miscellaneous item. One of my subordinates soaked his HC'd cuffs in battery acid for a week and they still worked fine with no tarnishment to the finish.
    huh. I'll look into it then.
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    When I bought my handcuffs (S&W) and flashlight (Streamlight) for the academy, I took the advice of a grizzly old training sergeant and had them engraved with my name. He said that sometimes your cuffs would go with a suspect out of your control and it would help get them back to you if your name was permanently engraved on them. It proved to be true on the street....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    When I bought my handcuffs (S&W) and flashlight (Streamlight) for the academy, I took the advice of a grizzly old training sergeant and had them engraved with my name. He said that sometimes your cuffs would go with a suspect out of your control and it would help get them back to you if your name was permanently engraved on them. It proved to be true on the street....
    Oh yeah, thats a must do on day one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Since he has a Glock 21, why not having a Glock 30 as a back-up and/or off duty weapon?

For flashlight, get a Surefire G2Z or any Surefire LED. Buy it from Surefire, they have discount for LEO.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Surefire all the way I like the 6p defender.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links