Defensive Carry banner

Attn LEO's need recommendations light & cuffs

3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  f8lranger4x4 
#1 ·
My stepson just graduated the local police academy, passed the FL certification exam and has been hired by a local county Sheriff's Dept.
He starts in 10 days and is looking to buy the few extra items he was told he'd need to provide himself.

He is looking for recommendations for a flashlight to carry on his belt.
Also for what brands of cuffs to buy as spares to keep with him.

He'll be carrying a Glock 21.He'll be carrying a Glock 21 so I've suggested he get himself a subcompact Glock in the same caliber as a back up/off duty gun. ANY other recommendations would be appreciated ?

THANKS !

#2 ·
I'm not LEO but I have very many LEO friends so I've had to do birthday shopping for them before.

The BIG maglite with the belt holster.

A good duty belt.

S&W linked Cuffs they seem to like in black

Nice Cuff Holster

Those tide stain remover pens :)

Magellan shoe inserts

My one buddies GF just got him a laptop with one of those verizon wireless network cards so when he's sitting doing nothing he can browse the net (He ever so often now has to sit at construction sites with his lights on doing nothing)

#3 ·
Hi Sass,

I'm a LEO and I teach at the municipal police academy. I really like the Surefire lights. I carry an L2 by its clip in my left pocket of my uniform pants. It is an LED light which I think is, by a wide margin, the best light for LE work. There are other LED lights available from SF as well. There are prices for every budget. With regard to handcuffs. S&W or Peerless are my picks. Only steel is appropriate for uniformed use. I like the Peerless as they double lock by pushing a small pin in rather that sliding a lever laterally. Avoid the hinged cuffs like the plague. They are difficult to apply to less than cooperative persons and they cause more injury than the chained cuffs. Also avoid the ASP brand. Very little weight savings and easy to defeat. Hope this helps.

KD

#4 ·
Surefire is probably one of the most popular "small" tactical flashlights of the highest quality.

For handcuffs... Either Peerless, American Handcuff or S&W. No others! Stay away from Hiatts and ASP.

I prefer a chained set and get the "oversized" cuffs. Lots of Big Boy's out there these days that a standard sized cuff doesn't fit their wrists.

#5 ·
For the cuffs, the old-fashioned kind work best. S&W are the most common, with Peerless following close behind(but I've heard they're not quite as sturdy). I'm the wrong person to ask about cuffs, though, because I'm still using the American Handcuff Company ones I was issued back in 88. (I'm also using the same clipboard box, beat-up and dented as it is -- color me sentimental)

Flashlights, though, that's another matter. I've used the 3 and 6-cell Maglights. The only good thing about them is the ability to use them as impact weapons.

For light output, I like the rechargeable Streamlight UltraStinger. It's about as long as a 3-cell Maglight, but thinner, LOTS lighter, and at least three times as bright. Use the car charger to keep it ready to grab anytime in the car, and couple that with a smaller light to keep on the belt at all times. Speaking of....

For convenience, I've been impressed by the Streamlight Stinger XT, with the button in the tailcap. For the MOST convenience and utility, and a light output out of all proportion to its size, it's hard to beat the Surefire Z2. It takes 2 lithium 3-volt batteries, fits easily in a belt holder, and you can hold it in your off hand while still using that hand to brace your pistol, using the "syringe" or "Wilson/Rogers" technique.

Also....with the Surefire 6 or 9-volt lights, throw a Cree bulb into the mix, and that makes it even brighter.

#6 ·
I am a LEO For flashlight I use a surefire as my duty light and for cuffs go with S&W get a chain set. But it just depends on what he is most comfortable using I also carry a hinged set as my spare/ off duty set so if you have any questions let me know

#7 ·
A great flashlight for duty use would be a Streamlight rechargeable like the Stinger.

A backup personal flashlight should also be carried. I still use my original Surefire 6Z Combatlight.

As for cuffs I am partial to Peerless chained but I also carry hinged.

A one handed knife is also a good tool. Many LEO prefer the Emerson Wave feature. A multitool like the tactical black Leatherman Wave is one of my most used items.

If you really care make sure he has money to get that BUG or a quality ballistic vest. A Glock Sub is a good option but many of us swear by the S&W 442/642.

#8 ·
Good point Semperfi.45! A BUG is something that I don't go to work without. I carry an old S&W 649. I try to avoid the rechargable lights. Not because they are not good lights but because when the run down, they go really fast. One minute you are at peak output and within seconds, they wink out. With batts, you get a substantial period of time of dimming but usable light. Plus, before an op, I change the batts with new ones. I save the ones changed out as training batts.

#9 ·
+1 on the surefire. I have an e2 and an e1L the EiL is an LED and is VERY bright. But probably too small for the duty rig. I would suggest the G2 nitrolon Polymer body very rugged and comes in 4 colors. But I would spend as much as I could afford on a good flashlight. I have become a big fan of the LED recently. Also he should look on Ebay, you can usually buy one model up for about the same reatil price as the model below. Cuffs, I would also +1 on the S&W and the Peerless I like the peerless because of the design and location of the double lock a little better. I also suggest buying one of the cuff keys with the little LED lights on them. Very handy in the dark.

#10 ·
I'm not a LEO, but I work in EMS, and one of my most important tools is a small flashlight capable of high outputs.

I own and use both Surefire and Streamlight lights. For belt carry, I'd recommend something along the lines of the Streamlight Strion rechargable light (esp. if he's going to be using his flashlight on a regular basis).

I carry an E2e from Surefire as a personal light on a regular basis. But prefer the rechargable lights for when I'm going to be using them over and over every day. The duty bag that I carry to work when I'm on the ambulance also has a Strion light in it.

Some PD's that I know issue, or have for loan the larger streamlight / maglite lights. They're nice, but again, the light left in the car won't be there when you need it.

--Jim

#13 ·
After 20 years on "the job" a few things have stayed the same. My flashlight of choice is Surefire and my cuffs are Pearless. I've had a Surefire 6P on my person during duty hours since 1987 (the same one) and have several others around as needed. My cuffs of choice are Pearless and I carry a set of both hinged and chain on my belt, and chain when working in civilian clothing.

#14 ·
Everyone's made great suggestions. Personally, I'd recommend 2 flashlights. A large, either Maglight or Streamlight (I use maglight, because our cars have chargers for them in the car). The other light is a belt light. Mine usd to be a Surefire 6P, but I think any of the rechargable small Streamlights or Surefire would work fine.

As to cuff, I used Peerless. I carried 2 in a double mag case on my belt (In fact I used to carry them up front). I also had a hinged set, but that was in my "war bag" just in case. I never used the S&W ones, & they don't seem to popular here (That doesn't mean their no good, though).

I'm now an administrator, so I'm not "up" on the current favorites. But I do know that a flashlight is your friend, & it needs to be a good one. I'd definitely go with name brands only for the light & especially the cuffs.

Well good luck to your son.

#15 ·
Well, like others have said, I'm not an LEO but,......I'm a flashlight nut.

Surefire is probably the most popular personal flashlight for LEOs. Also, have a look at the new Pelican 7060 light kit. It was designed specifically for the LAPD. Very high quality light with really neat features....plus its rechargeable. For a personal light you can look at either the Surefire G2L (LED version of the G2) or the 6PL (LED version of the 6P)

That is of course what I would recommend on feedback I've got from what other LEO's use. Then again, the LEO's I talked to don't quite think 'outside the box'. If I had my personal choice I would carry my Borealis with my HDS EDC U60 as backup. Also, I would really look hard at the Wolf Eyes line of flashlights. Very high quality with the ability to take some decent Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries.

If looking at the Wolf Eyes line I would probably go with these two lights.
1: (main light) M300 Lion 300 lumens for 100 minutes and rechargeable.
2: (back up) 6A Sniper Tactical flashlight 170 lumes from an LED.

Now, if you wanted to wait awhile and were willing to shell out a few bucks there is the preorder for the Thunder A.

Man I love flashlights. :D

#16 ·
Two flashlights. Not the Maglite type-too big. There are smaller and brighter ones out there. Surefire, Stinger, Pelican, etc. Get a big one and a small one. Two is one and one is none. Your baton is an impact weapon and works much better than an outdated flashlight design.

Hinged cuffs. Peerless and S&W are good brands. We are issued ASP cuffs and they are alright. Get double locking cuffs. Carry one set of oversize cuffs in the squad. Get zip cuffs if they are authorized. They work well in a pinch.

#17 ·
Other ideas...

While I was an LEO a good set of handcuffs and flashlight were a must. But since those options have been drilled into the ground, I would like to suggest a few other ideas.

A good pair of gloves is also a must I think. Exspecially gloves that are cut resistant. It's pretty easy to find sharps on people in the streets, so your son should always wear cut resistant gloves while searching people.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=GL005

Another item I never left without inside my duty bag were zip cuffs. When working at night, these come in handy with multiple drunks outside of a bar, and with a quickness. It's a good one up to get the situation back into your hands.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=RS068

And I know as crazy as this sounds. Belt keepers are a nice thing to have too. They attach over your duty belt to your pants belt, to attach them together. It's real nice not having your duty belt flopping all around while chasing after someone.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=NP318

Another thing that I really liked was another handcuff key that is oversized and very easy to handle. I used to keep it on my duty belt, so that while handcuffing someone, while leaning them back, I could doublelock the cuffs right after I applied the hinges.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=RS121

These are just some other ideas I had around in my head while I was reading this post. There are a lot of things out there for your son to get, most of which I am hoping the department will provide if he asks. You can have him check out Galls.com though for more ideas, that is the site I ordered most of my equipment from while I was working as an LEO. Hope this helped! =D

Dave

#21 ·
Yes. I sent all my cuffs I was issued to TR and had them HC'd. They charge only $10-15 per miscellaneous item. One of my subordinates soaked his HC'd cuffs in battery acid for a week and they still worked fine with no tarnishment to the finish.

#23 ·
When I bought my handcuffs (S&W) and flashlight (Streamlight) for the academy, I took the advice of a grizzly old training sergeant and had them engraved with my name. He said that sometimes your cuffs would go with a suspect out of your control and it would help get them back to you if your name was permanently engraved on them. It proved to be true on the street.... :yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.