Lubrication

This is a discussion on Lubrication within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay a question to all those assembled: Which do you prefer: OIL or GREASE as a firearms (get yer minds outta the gutter!) lubricant and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Cool Lubrication

Okay a question to all those assembled: Which do you prefer: OIL or GREASE as a firearms (get yer minds outta the gutter!) lubricant and where on your carry pistols do you use lube and how often do you add or re-lubricate?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

i use both actually i lube with Mobile One everything ... Then Slide Glide on the Rails ... usually check for relubing once a week or 2 weeks

Question Slide Glide

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Then Slide Glide on the Rails
    What is this stuff (sounds kewl) and where can I get it? Got an online link, maybe?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Certainly Mobil 1 is right up there as an oil lube - and only needs used sparingly.

For rails etc - I think the key word is ''persistance'' - and that means a grease - oil is too easily displaced. There are many to choose from and I have used RIG many times over the years. Some newer lithium greases seem Ok and Superlube is a grease recommended by Rohrbaugh for R9. Gun Slick I believe is another. I also have some ''Tetra'' gun grease but that is not recommended for other than metal-metal surfaces - ie, not to use on polymer.

Apart from the persistance angle, I think now the addition of things like moly, teflon etc - increase the time between lubes because they leave microscopic but still lubricational elements even when grease itself seems to have been displaced or disappeared.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

TW25B.

I use it mixed with Isopropyl (97%), so that when sprayed with a pump sprayer, after the alcohol evaporates, a very thin coating of the TW25B remains.

Use follows cleaning, and goes on all contact surfaces. Excess is wiped away after application.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Brian Enos sells slide glide http://www.brianenos.com/store/slide-glide.html

Sorry my cust and past doesnt work as well with mouse im using till i get new trackball.

I use Mobil 1 now for all the moving mechanicals, had been using Shooter's Choice FP-10....for the slide, it's Enos Brian's Slide Glide. Seems to do the trick. I apply with a glue brush...just a little dabbledoya!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Lead Moderator
    Rem oil dry lube only on my carry guns. Keeps oil off your clothes and holsters and keeps the gun lubed. I use Breakfree on My other guns though.

DC Founder
    I usually use Mobil 1 on the slide rails and very light coat on the barrel lockup scuff. I do like TW25B, though.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

For 1911's depending on the outside temps, I either use Wilsons combination oil/grease Ultra Lube throughout the entire gun, or Wilsons Ultra Lube grease on the slide rails, & barrel locking lugs, then Wilsons Ultra Lube oil on all other parts.

When plinking or shooting IDPA, I add a couple drops to the rails, lugs, and barrel hood every 50 rounds or so.

When disassembled for detailed cleaning, I like to spray BreakFree on everything, blow dry, then reassemble with Wilson's as above.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

TriFlow - good stuff.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

sm
    Depends.

-Type of Firearm , Revolver or Semi.
    -Firearm's preference. Is this a "tight" finicky design, or a Gov't Model 45 that is "loose" and runs no matter what exposed to.
    -Environment. I am in the heat and humidity of the South.
    -Availabilty. Do I use what is handy locally, whatever came in the last shooter's kit, do I have to order if via the 'Net, what if I am out of town and have a need , is whatever avail compatable with what I normally use?

I lean toward toward "Inspect, & Maintain" versus Holy Grails.

I have used ATF (automatic transmission fluid ) RIG /RIG+P forever. I get caught in the middle of nowhere, I can pull a dipstick and lube. I can find ATF in a parts store, Shoot and Get convience store, even a Filling station. Lithium Grease is another good one.

My Keltec P-11 is lubed with regular old ATF only ( no grease) The external ( slide) a coating of Carnuba Car wax. It will run 500 rds before I need to lube it. ATF keeps rust away,stays put. Never had a rust problem using the wax on external.

1911 is lubed with Havoline Full synthetic 10w-30 oil. I split a $3.50 quart with another person. Again no grease on this gun.

I use the RIG+P if I am going to do a LOT of shooting, like 1Krds in day. I use it on Steel / Al differences of slide and frames on some firearms.

Revolvers - no grease.

One Model 10 I kept hidden in a business lubed for 10 years...Still fine after I figured after 8 years I probably needed to check it.

It was up under the vanity in the shop's bathroom, how often do YOU look up in your business bathroom vanity? Had to move the durn thing when I had a faucet handle go beserk and a pipe broke. Oh I took itout with that old ammo, all 6 rds went bang.

Yeah Yeah I gave it good going over, new ammo, new Carnuba waxed it, and stuck it back up there...2 years later I left that place and took it and the other 5 model 10 I had scattered about the place in various hiding places.

That old silk plant/ tree ( whatever it was) where one was kept hidden I didn't keep tho' .

Ned Christainsen uses Golden Spectro 50/50 reg/ motorcycle oil that he uses in his bike. Like Ned I tend to figure it don't much to lube most stuff, most stuff is re-packed stuff anyway with more $ tacked on , and the type of dispenser makes a bigger difference. If I want one drop right there - I don't want a blob everywhere.

Disposable pipettes are your friend.
    Use Enough Gun

TW-25B on slide contacts, lock-up and barrel, and internals that require grease. MC-2500 on internals that require oil. I reapply after each cleaning. A little goes a long way.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

"I also have some ''Tetra'' gun grease but that is not recommended for other than metal-metal surfaces - ie, not to use on polymer."

Ooops! I have been using this on my polymer guns. It is only used for metal to metal contact. (Polymer guns still use metal for the moving parts don't they??)

Is it bad if the Tetra grease accidentally comes in contact with the polymer frame????

Assistant Administrator
    Logistar - going by the tube writing ..

In fact it says under ''Directions'' - ''For use on metal surfaces only'' - so my mention of polymer was in truth my badly remembered interpretation... just the case of what I had in mind!

I have not decided whether it is actually harmful to polymer - maybe just that as it is a ''pore filler'' type lube - in other words, even when it seems gone there is still a fine layer of protection - then perhaps polymer cannot take this up in the same way and so longevity of lube is decreased.

Frankly - I'd not worry too much really .... but if I lube my P series auto's I do tend to use good ol' RIG on them. Most all my other auto's are metal - oh except the SW99, near forgot that.

I haven't been to website yet but maybe a call in at http://www.tetraproducts.com may add info.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links