The biggest problem with flashlights.

This is a discussion on The biggest problem with flashlights. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is what the bad guy sees. If the bad guy shoots at the light this is what he will hit. Solution: Use the light ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The biggest problem with flashlights.

The biggest problem with flashlights.

Here is what the bad guy sees.

If the bad guy shoots at the light this is what he will hit.

Solution: Use the light in 'blinks' and either shoot during the 'blink' or move very quickly after the 'blink'.

Any other solutions?
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Hold light extended away from body in weak hand.

Or shoot when target is identified. If you hit them with the light it should stun them for 1/2 a second. That should be enough time to ID target and fire.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I don't know if there is a solution. That's why I always advocated NOT using a light ...against the chagrin of the many LEO's on the board. It's a decision you're going to have to make for yourself. You have to weigh the pro's and the con's and decide which is more important to you.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If a I use a light, it won't be attached to the gun...and it won't be anywhere near my body. Thank God I still have some night vision and am able to use that in combination with night sights.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Move, shoot and hit the bad guy!

VIP Member
    Why aren't you peeking out from behind the wall?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

If you can afford one, a laser dazzler might be a great alternative. (http://www.laserdazzler.net/) I contacted them about a year ago and was told one would be about $3k for a private-party order of one.

Supposedly, the laser fills up your whole field of vision and you can't see exactly where it's coming from.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I don't know if there is a solution. That's why I always advocated NOT using a light ...against the chagrin of the many LEO's on the board. It's a decision you're going to have to make for yourself. You have to weigh the pro's and the con's and decide which is more important to you.
    It doesnt bother me if you dont use a light, they are over used anyway. There are some good tactics out there to light up an area without giving up your position.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It doesnt bother me if you dont use a light, they are over used anyway. There are some good tactics out there to light up an area without giving up your position.
    Amen! But, since the majority of defensive shootings take place during hours of low light, it would be wise to consider the use of a white light. Threat identification is important! There are definately some common sense methoods for the use of the light. Too many folks turn the light on and leave it on. That leads to the poor tactical situation that was illustrated above. No matter what type of light you use, the principle of illuminate, ID, extinguish, move, illuminate, confirm ID and positively engage stays the same. That's a very basic explanation but it gives the flashlight holder an edge. Additionally, there are a lot of flashlight techniques out there. Harries, Ayoob FBI etc. As of late, there are just as many flashlights. Try shooting sometime with a light with the the strobe feature somtime! Almost puked. I think that choosing one or two lights and techniques that work and practicing them with the above principle is the ticket. I have chosen the neck index as my standard. At work, I have weapon mounted lights. Remember though, in any lighting condition, if you are not moving, you're probably not doing all you can do to win.

HKR
    There are at least four doorways in that pic and you are standing in the middle of the hallway. Training, tactics, training, tactics..........

At night my eyes will have adjusted...and I have some great night sights...
    I would not be standing in the middle of the hall...
    Don't really need the E2e in my home...the 125# Rhodesian can actually see quite well in the dark...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I do not think that the authors intent of his post was to show proper use of cover but to simply demonstrate what it looks like when you use a light.

Keep the light away from you. Use it sparingly and learn to point shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by kommander View Post
    I do not think that the authors intent of his post was to show proper use of cover but to simply demonstrate what it looks like when you use a light.

exactly. If there was a situation in my home I would not be standing in the middle of the hallway.

clipse
    Last edited by clipse; September 14th, 2007 at 10:00 AM.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Okay, so if there was a real situation that called for an armed confrontation in my home, the badguy would see this.

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links