What's everyone using for flashlights? - Page 2

What's everyone using for flashlights?

This is a discussion on What's everyone using for flashlights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found out the other day that those cartridges that take three AAA batteries are interchangeable in a lot of flashlights. If you have a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What's everyone using for flashlights?

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I found out the other day that those cartridges that take three AAA batteries are interchangeable in a lot of flashlights. If you have a good one that has a corroded contact just take one out of a $1 W.M. light they are all the same. I think that if the Ultrafire T-6 was any brighter it would be against the law to shine it at the space station.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I looked at all these and the prices are cheaper which I like and they seem to take aa or aaa batts which I like also compared to the one I shared, however the one I showed is up to 1300 lumen where as most of these are 100-300 lumen. Are those enough lumens to be a "do it all" flashlight when I'm carrying it?
    I think the less expensive lights have a different purpose than one with 1300 lumen. You shinen deer?

I have Coast that was less than $40. Not sure of the lumen but it keeps track of my wild dogs running the back yard for bunnies.

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    I think the less expensive lights have a different purpose than one with 1300 lumen. You shinen deer?

I have Coast that was less than $40. Not sure of the lumen but it keeps track of my wild dogs running the back yard for bunnies.

I've never paid attention to lumens before really honestly the only time I'll need bright bright light is when I quit on those late nights on the farm and have to walk to the truck. Just to shine to the truck and spot the occasional coyote's noseing around. Typically I try to park close but sometimes I park a good football field lengths away or further

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Also take into consideration how focused the beam is. Not sure my Coast will be real effective at 100 yards but it does cast light that far. I have a MyTorch that has some fancy battery and a narrower beam that works better at long range, maybe 200+ L

Also beware of big claims from lights aren't big dollars.

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

My Coast is a HP7 @ 360 lumen and th MyTorch/Nextorch is 660. I like the Coast better for most uses although it is thicker.
    The MyTorch has more focused beam and does seem brighter, but not twice as much. Both were around $40

I have never used a $100+ light so I can't really say how much better they are. The money may be in the durability?

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    My Coast is a HP7 @ 360 lumen and th MyTorch/Nextorch is 660. I like the Coast better for most uses although it is thicker.
    The MyTorch has more focused beam and does seem brighter, but not twice as much. Both were around $40

I have never used a $100+ light so I can't really say how much better they are. The money may be in the durability?

The one I considered I think was $79 and it has supposedly customizable power settings from 1300 lumens down to idk 70 lumens or something. I'll need super bright like 20 times a year tops rest of the time prolly just an average flashlight output would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    This one rides right next to my Kershaw Blur all day, every day.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...ight+protac+2L
    Based on the link that light is 260 lumens, do you ever want or need more light? Maybe not for self defense situations but in general when you need a flashlight?

VIP Member
    I looked at all these and the prices are cheaper which I like and they seem to take aa or aaa batts which I like also compared to the one I shared, however the one I showed is up to 1300 lumen where as most of these are 100-300 lumen. Are those enough lumens to be a "do it all" flashlight when I'm carrying it?
    The one I considered I think was $79 and it has supposedly customizable power settings from 1300 lumens down to idk 70 lumens or something. I'll need super bright like 20 times a year tops rest of the time prolly just an average flashlight output would do.
    It looks like you have a good handle on what you need. The point of a flashlight is light of course, but the lumen rating is really overrated IMO. Most lights that say 1300 lumens will probably be much less bright than you would expect as the way they're rated is semi-deceptive. For a good tutorial on that CPF (candlepowerforums) is hard to beat. Just in summary LEDs can make more output in the bluer/cooler part of the spectrum (say around 6000k). However many people, including me, don't really like blue and purple lights. I prefer a light in the neutral-to-slightly-warm spectrum with a higher CRI (color rendition index). For example if you shine a very blue light on something it can distort the actual color. That might not be a big deal for all applications but if you're trying change a fuse under the dashboard by the side of the road it can be hard to tell the color of wires apart with a light with bad tint.

Maximum output is also less important than the kind of beam you cast. Reflectors broadly fall into spot and flood with smooth or orange peel dishes respectively. TIR (total internal reflection) lights will have a very tight beam with very good throw at long distance but not much spill up close. If you're calling coyotes that might be ideal but if you're looking for your axe in the weeds then not so much. The kind of beam is maybe a bigger deal than the output.

To me it does no good to have a bright light with good tint if it can't survive a fall from three feet. Often you'll get cheap lights from China that have pretty good machining and look nice but crap out the first time they fall out of your pocket.

For just an EDC light that's inexpensive yet durable, cheap to operate yet reasonably powerful, the Streamlight MicroStream is a pretty good option. It's around $20 an uses on AAA battery. It's definitely not "tactical" and won't blind anyone but it's good for just kicking around in your pocket.

Personally I carry a Malkoff MDC in my right pocket, with a pocket clip. It's around 250 lumens with just one brightness level, and it costs around $130. A fair amount of money to be sure, but it's virtually indestructible. The electronics are "potted" meaning they're backfilled with thermal epoxy. This protects the traces from being broken. It's no exaggeration to say a light like this can survive a 200 foot fall without serious damage. Elezetta uses this same construction and has survived a 12 ga shotgun blast and being dropped from a helicopter onto tarmac.
    DHart likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    It looks like you have a good handle on what you need. The point of a flashlight is light of course, but the lumen rating is really overrated IMO. Most lights that say 1300 lumens will probably be much less bright than you would expect as the way they're rated is semi-deceptive. For a good tutorial on that CPF (candlepowerforums) is hard to beat. Just in summary LEDs can make more output in the bluer/cooler part of the spectrum (say around 6000k). However many people, including me, don't really like blue and purple lights. I prefer a light in the neutral-to-slightly-warm spectrum with a higher CRI (color rendition index). For example if you shine a very blue light on something it can distort the actual color. That might not be a big deal for all applications but if you're trying change a fuse under the dashboard by the side of the road it can be hard to tell the color of wires apart with a light with bad tint.

Maximum output is also less important than the kind of beam you cast. Reflectors broadly fall into spot and flood with smooth or orange peel dishes respectively. TIR (total internal reflection) lights will have a very tight beam with very good throw at long distance but not much spill up close. If you're calling coyotes that might be ideal but if you're looking for your axe in the weeds then not so much. The kind of beam is maybe a bigger deal than the output.

To me it does no good to have a bright light with good tint if it can't survive a fall from three feet. Often you'll get cheap lights from China that have pretty good machining and look nice but crap out the first time they fall out of your pocket.

For just an EDC light that's inexpensive yet durable, cheap to operate yet reasonably powerful, the Streamlight MicroStream is a pretty good option. It's around $20 an uses on AAA battery. It's definitely not "tactical" and won't blind anyone but it's good for just kicking around in your pocket.

Personally I carry a Malkoff MDC in my right pocket, with a pocket clip. It's around 250 lumens with just one brightness level, and it costs around $130. A fair amount of money to be sure, but it's virtually indestructible. The electronics are "potted" meaning they're backfilled with thermal epoxy. This protects the traces from being broken. It's no exaggeration to say a light like this can survive a 200 foot fall without serious damage. Elezetta uses this same construction and has survived a 12 ga shotgun blast and being dropped from a helicopter onto tarmac.
    That candle power forum is where I first discovered the zebralight brand actually and the sc62 and what I looked at sc63 models. I googled that malkoff and found it for $105. Have you ever encountered a situation where you wish you had more light? Whether it be a defensive situation or just out in the dark trying to get around or any situation for that matter?
    Phaedrus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PJH View Post
    One more vote for the Streamlight ProTac 2L.
    Yeah, that's mine too. I found the best prices on ebay.

Administrator
    I guess I am the 3rd wheel when it comes to an every day flashlight.
    It's a comparative cheap-o Cree. Hardware store item. I have a Lithium AAA battery in it.
    I liked the first one so much that I bought 2 more.
    It's small. It is a Coast G15.
    I think it was $11.00
    It is not a blinding beamer but, it has a positive basic On/Off rear switch.
    I don't really like a ton of light. My night vision is good.
    So far...the first one has not let me down.
    I click it on....it always works and it will get me out of a dark basement if there is a power failure.
    I am not really a flashlight aficionado.
    This one is small enough that I can stick it into a pocket and forget it's there.
    I seem to be accumulating a pile of various lights.
    Some are more expensive than this one.
    It is a very rare occasion that I ever need one during the day.
    And I am a believer that nothing much good ever happens after 12:00 Midnight so I am always pretty much home nights.
    When the alarm trips at work at night I grab a larger light.
    Usually that is a Nebo Red Line.
    I am an off weapon guy. Usually the Police are already at my job before I get pants and shoes on so....flashlight not really needed then either.
    Then we shoot the bull for a few minutes and I am on my way back home.
    No kids and no dog (R.I.P. Beulah) and I am intimately familiar with every square foot of my home that I prefer to negotiate it just with the miniscule amount of ambient light.
    I can actually get around in my (rather large) home in total darkness. I know every creak on every stair.
    I really have a home distinct home advantage. After a few years of good, honest practice.
    I keep up with the eye health and Bilberry/Lutine seems to be keeping it sharp.

OK...flashlight rambling over. Stay Safe you all.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    That candle power forum is where I first discovered the zebralight brand actually and the sc62 and what I looked at sc63 models. I googled that malkoff and found it for $105. Have you ever encountered a situation where you wish you had more light? Whether it be a defensive situation or just out in the dark trying to get around or any situation for that matter?
    I have lights that run the gamut from a few lumens to 2800 lumens! Sometimes I use other lights; when I'm camping I usually have a couple larger Elzettas (usually a Bravo and a Charlie, each with AVS heads for 650 and 900 lumens respectively). The Malkoff is the "minimum" or the one I always have. Scratch that, I actually have a tine Olight on my keychain for stuff like using my keys. Lumens shouldn't really be thought of like feet and inches- a 500 lumens isn't subjectively twice as bright as a 250 lumen light. It would be hard to tell a 50-100 lumen difference under most conditions. I have three MDCs, each with a different head. One has a TIR for a tight spot- that one I carry with defensive use in mind. One has the regular orange peel reflector which works great for most every application. No, I've never run into a situation where I wished I had a brighter light. The main difference between it and my bigger lights is that they have more battery capacity so they run longer. Generally I use my lights in short bursts, not for extended illumination. I haven't been in a gunfight nor had to rely on a light to stun a person but I have accidentally shined the light in my own eyes and I can attest that a focused 250 lumen light is completely blinding.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am not really a flashlight aficionado.
    This one is small enough that I can stick it into a pocket and forget it's there.
    I seem to be accumulating a pile of various lights.
    Some are more expensive than this one.
    It is a very rare occasion that I ever need one during the day.
    And I am a believer that nothing much good ever happens after 12:00 Midnight so I am always pretty much home nights.
    I'll admit I'm a light geek! They're a hobby to me as well as tools. Of course it doesn't have to be that way. I personally find I use my lights a lot. First off, it's dark half the time, and it's always dark inside structures if no lights are on. I wind up using mine in the kitchen to light pilot lights, find stuff under coolers, etc. I have to admit that I also wind up using a light to read normal stuff. My optomitrist has told me to "consider" bifocals but I'm not ready to be old yet! I can still read smaller stuff if I have good light, so often I whip out my little Olight to read something up close.

While it wasn't the focus of the OP, I will state that I'm a huge advocate of lights mounted on firearms, particularly for home defense and camping/hiking.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    When it comes to the best, brightest, highest quality lights....honestly think that most members should pay attention to anybody but, me.
    I just go with what seems to work for me personally and my needs are probably more idiosyncratic than most.

We have members on this forum who have forgot more about various lights than I will ever know.

We have a slew of Lumen Luminarie Illuminati here. Heed their advice over mine.
    Phaedrus and bill35738 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links