What's everyone using for flashlights? - Page 4

What's everyone using for flashlights?

This is a discussion on What's everyone using for flashlights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just for update if anyone cares..... After doing some review reading here and elsewhere on the net I ended up getting the Streamlight 88040 ProTac ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What's everyone using for flashlights?

Just for update if anyone cares..... After doing some review reading here and elsewhere on the net I ended up getting the Streamlight 88040 ProTac HL 750 Lumen tactical flashlight. Has a high (750 lumen), low (35 lumen), and a strobe feature, also has some kind of ten tap programmable setup thing on it idk. Takes 2 cr123a batteries. So far so good with it. Says it shines out to 270 meters. Roughly 1.25 hour battery life on high. The head of it is a little large in my pocket but I think it'll be ok

Distinguished Member Array Floyd D. Barber's Avatar
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Are the lithium batteries less prone to leaking than alkaline? Or do they not leak at all?
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array dV8r's Avatar

What's everyone using for flashlights?

I've been using Mini-Mags since the 1980's. I began when an EMT/Fireman and as a creature of habit never looked back. I updated the lamps to LED as soon as I found them available now a set of batteries last nearly a year rather than a month. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th sheath and at least that many lights after breaking, losing.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Another Streamlight ProTac 2xAA fan here for EDC. Top quality, excellent performance, unwavering (prompt!) warranty. It's gonna' take a MIGHTY fine flashlight to...change my mind.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Used to be my EDC was either a Fenix PD35 or PD22. Both have been replaced with the Thrunite Archer 1A V3. Not as bright as the PD35, but much smaller and easier to carry/handle. Reversing the clip allows me to easily wear it as a caplight with my ballcap. Lasts a really long time with the 14500 rechargable or can easily use with a common AA.

Glock 19 • Glock 26 • Springfield Armory XDS .45 • Kahr CM9 • S&W Shield 9MM

GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I bought two from Amazon, $25-$40 each. Don't even remember the brand but they are bright and hold up well.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    Are the lithium batteries less prone to leaking than alkaline? Or do they not leak at all?
    I can't state unequivocally that it's impossible but I have never heard of an instance of a lithium battery leaking. If improperly used that can be prone to 'venting with extreme heat' ie catching fire (although this is pretty easy to avoid by using them properly).
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    Zebralights are truly excellent lights and the SC63 is well worth the money. An astounding light, indeed. Just learn the very important needs of Li-Ion rechargeable cells! These cells are very powerful and potentially dangerous. And my first choice in powering flashlights.

For more fun with (and knowledge about) flashlights than you can possibly imagine, come join us over at candlepowerforums.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Just curious what everyone is using for a carry flashlight? I'd like one that is bright, obviously, not blinding but bright enough to see especially since I'll prolly use it for situations unrelated to self defense like walking from my tractor at night after work over to the truck so of course I want a bright light. Would also like one that comes with a pocket clip and is small enough to pocket carry. Asked around on a just a flashlight forum and everyone there said to get a Zebralight SC63 1300 lumens 2.2 hours on a 18650 battery, now idk what small flashlights usually cost but $79 seems pretty high for a little flashlight. Or that might be right on the money, flashlights don't fall in or even near my field of expertise.

SC63 18650 XHP35 Flashlight Cool White

LED: Cree XHP35 Cool White (Nominal CCT 5700K)
    User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels.
    Light Output (runtimes)
    High: H1 1300 Lm (PID, approx 2.2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, 2.8 hr)/360 Lm (4.3 hr)/160 Lm (12 hr)
    Medium: M1 70 Lm (33 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (73 hrs)/12 Lm (8 days)
    Low: L1 3.8 Lm (18 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.8 months)/0.06 Lm (5.1 months)/0.01 Lm (7.1 months)
    Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1
    Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V - 6.0V
    Battery: One 18650 size (i.e. unprotected, 65.0-65.2 mm long) 3.6-4.35V li-ion rechargeable. Batteries are not included in the package.
    Parasitic Drain: Negligible (much less than the self discharging of a battery)
    Beam Type
    80 degree spill
    12 degree hot spot
    Dimensions
    Head Diameter: 0.96 inch (24.5 mm)
    Length: 3.64 inch (92.5 mm)
    Weight
    1.3 oz (38 gram) without battery
    Features
    PID thermal regulated outputs (two highest output levels) using 384 internal brightness levels and a calibrated 0.1C resolution temperature sensor.
    Builtin battery discharging protections with continuously monitored temperature, current, and voltage, plus a (2.7V) low voltage cutoff
    Battery capacity indicator (LED flashes 1-4 times, 4 short clicks to start)
    Automatic stepping down from High to Medium, and from Medium to Low when battery capacity is low
    Durable electronic soft-touch switch
    Smart user interface provides fast and easy access to all brightness levels and beacon-strobes.
    Precision machined unibody casing from premium grade aluminum bar stocks
    Proprietary heat sinking design bonds the LED board directly to the unibody aluminum casing
    Durable natural hard anodized finish (Type III Class I)
    Sealed and potted LED driver circuitry
    Tempered optical grade glass
    Orange peel textured reflector
    Battery reverse polarity protection
    Pre-installed pocket clip
    Waterproof to IPX7 (2 meters, 30 minutes)
    Operations

This light has 3 main levels (High, Medium, and Low) and a beacon-strobe mode. Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels.

Basic Operation
    One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
    Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
    Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
    Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.
    Advanced Operation and Configuration
    Press and hold to cycle from Low, Medium and High, release at the desired level to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
    Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    The second sub-level (H2, M2 and L2) of each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels. At a main level, double-click 6 times to start configuration. On subsequent double-clicks the light will cycle through different brightness levels. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    This light uses the main LED (flashing 1 to 4 times) to indicate the estimated remaining capacity of the battery. To start the battery indicator, (from Off) short-click 4 times without pause.
    Beacon-strobe mode can be accessed from 3 short-clicks when the light is Off. Once in the beacon-strobe mode, you can double-click to cycle through different types of beacons and strobes. Beacon-strobe settings are memorized when the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBojangles View Post
    Howdy my illuminated friends! :)

I'm in the market for an EDC light but with so many options out there, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction based on what I need!

I don't need strobe or anything fancy.

I would like in an EDC flashlight:
    A super bright torch option.
    A "regular" flashlight option.
    Able to take rechargeable batteries.
    Compact/pocketable/has a clip.
    Preferably around $40-$60.

Thanks in advance!
    I've got way more flashlights to choose from than I probably should have. What is in my pocket most of the time? An EagTac D25A running on AW 14500 IMR rechargeable (a "AA" size cell). The light will also run on an AA Eneloop rechargeable, AA Lithium primary, or the ubiquitous AA Alkaline primary cell. This light is very compact, lightweight, and unobtrusive in the pocket. Has a great pocket clip, as well. Whether you choose titanium or aluminum body material, these are awesome lights of very good quality. Goinggear.com is one of my favorite suppliers.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links