What's everyone using for flashlights?

This is a discussion on What's everyone using for flashlights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what everyone is using for a carry flashlight? I'd like one that is bright, obviously, not blinding but bright enough to see especially ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What's everyone using for flashlights?

Just curious what everyone is using for a carry flashlight? I'd like one that is bright, obviously, not blinding but bright enough to see especially since I'll prolly use it for situations unrelated to self defense like walking from my tractor at night after work over to the truck so of course I want a bright light. Would also like one that comes with a pocket clip and is small enough to pocket carry. Asked around on a just a flashlight forum and everyone there said to get a Zebralight SC63 1300 lumens 2.2 hours on a 18650 battery, now idk what small flashlights usually cost but $79 seems pretty high for a little flashlight. Or that might be right on the money, flashlights don't fall in or even near my field of expertise.

SC63 18650 XHP35 Flashlight Cool White

LED: Cree XHP35 Cool White (Nominal CCT 5700K)
    User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels.
    Light Output (runtimes)
    High: H1 1300 Lm (PID, approx 2.2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, 2.8 hr)/360 Lm (4.3 hr)/160 Lm (12 hr)
    Medium: M1 70 Lm (33 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (73 hrs)/12 Lm (8 days)
    Low: L1 3.8 Lm (18 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.8 months)/0.06 Lm (5.1 months)/0.01 Lm (7.1 months)
    Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1
    Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V - 6.0V
    Battery: One 18650 size (i.e. unprotected, 65.0-65.2 mm long) 3.6-4.35V li-ion rechargeable. Batteries are not included in the package.
    Parasitic Drain: Negligible (much less than the self discharging of a battery)
    Beam Type
    80 degree spill
    12 degree hot spot
    Dimensions
    Head Diameter: 0.96 inch (24.5 mm)
    Length: 3.64 inch (92.5 mm)
    Weight
    1.3 oz (38 gram) without battery
    Features
    PID thermal regulated outputs (two highest output levels) using 384 internal brightness levels and a calibrated 0.1C resolution temperature sensor.
    Builtin battery discharging protections with continuously monitored temperature, current, and voltage, plus a (2.7V) low voltage cutoff
    Battery capacity indicator (LED flashes 1-4 times, 4 short clicks to start)
    Automatic stepping down from High to Medium, and from Medium to Low when battery capacity is low
    Durable electronic soft-touch switch
    Smart user interface provides fast and easy access to all brightness levels and beacon-strobes.
    Precision machined unibody casing from premium grade aluminum bar stocks
    Proprietary heat sinking design bonds the LED board directly to the unibody aluminum casing
    Durable natural hard anodized finish (Type III Class I)
    Sealed and potted LED driver circuitry
    Tempered optical grade glass
    Orange peel textured reflector
    Battery reverse polarity protection
    Pre-installed pocket clip
    Waterproof to IPX7 (2 meters, 30 minutes)
    Operations

This light has 3 main levels (High, Medium, and Low) and a beacon-strobe mode. Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels.

Basic Operation
    One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
    Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
    Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
    Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.
    Advanced Operation and Configuration
    Press and hold to cycle from Low, Medium and High, release at the desired level to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
    Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    The second sub-level (H2, M2 and L2) of each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels. At a main level, double-click 6 times to start configuration. On subsequent double-clicks the light will cycle through different brightness levels. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    This light uses the main LED (flashing 1 to 4 times) to indicate the estimated remaining capacity of the battery. To start the battery indicator, (from Off) short-click 4 times without pause.
    Beacon-strobe mode can be accessed from 3 short-clicks when the light is Off. Once in the beacon-strobe mode, you can double-click to cycle through different types of beacons and strobes. Beacon-strobe settings are memorized when the light is turned off and through battery changes.

Distinguished Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Just boarded a flight from San Diego to Driver- clipped to my pocket is a Pelican 2350 (1xAA, 100 lumen).

VIP Member
    This one rides right next to my Kershaw Blur all day, every day.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...ight+protac+2L
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Streamlight fan also.

The ProTac2AA (top in pic) gets used everyday I work and it has survived a lot of abuse. Drops from 6' and it was submerged in a foot of water for 15min before I could get to it, still works. Earlier today it took a trip down some steel steps.

It has a hi, strobe, and low setting. If I use the low on rotating equipment it acts like a strobe. I discovered that by accident, but it is useful in my line of work.

The ProTac2L is a great light also. It gets carried as much as the 2AA but used much less. I am on the same battery for just over a year. I like it because it is smaller and brighter than the 2AA. I use the 2AA at work because although it is my personal light, they will supply the batteries. There are times I go through a set in a 12hr shift.

I've been very happy with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ghost tracker likes this.

Fenix and Thrunite
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    This one rides right next to my Kershaw Blur all day, every day.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...ight+protac+2L
    This.

Just bought me a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA last week and love it. It is one of those dual fuel lights. It takes just one Lithium or Alkaline Battery. If the lithium is used, this little light produces 350 lumens.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8.../dp/B01G75P1SC
    Last edited by Okeechobee; March 10th, 2017 at 01:29 PM.

PJH
    One more vote for the Streamlight ProTac 2L.

I looked at all these and the prices are cheaper which I like and they seem to take aa or aaa batts which I like also compared to the one I shared, however the one I showed is up to 1300 lumen where as most of these are 100-300 lumen. Are those enough lumens to be a "do it all" flashlight when I'm carrying it?

Thrunite TN12....

Fenix PD35 TAC. Has both a "tactical" (I hate that word) mode and an "outdoorsy/camping" mode. Uber stupid bright when it needs to be, and the lowest setting lasts forever it seems...

I just bought a FourSevens Mini MkII, 1020 lumens at the highest setting. Already using it several time a day.

Surefire. 320/15 lumens. I have brighter lights but this is my go to for edc pocket carry. I would like to eventually pick up a Surefire intellabeam 600 lumen light but I have other things higher up in my priority ladder.
    ETXhiker and kerberos like this.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; all others are condemned to it.

Pax Armis Acquiritur

G-43
    G-19 gen 4

Technology has advanced so much, it allows you to think outside the box- take a look at the Ultratac K18. It is tiny, but throws 360 lumens. I used to carry a big fat Fenix or Klarus, but downsized and won't go back. Super light, AAA, can hang it on a keychain or throw in a pocket. Cheap, awesome, will blow your mind how much light can come out of such a tiny light. And only $20. Everyone should have at least one . . .
    https://www.amazon.com/GranVela-Keyc.../dp/B01BS88Z72

I just bought one of these. Very expensive, but really like the ergonomics and the feature set.
    What's everyone using for flashlights?-t-max_le_048tmc.jpg
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.
    A proud member of that "vast right wing conspiracy", and an infidel to boot!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links