Project Ugly Kydex: AK Mag Belt Clip

This is a discussion on Project Ugly Kydex: AK Mag Belt Clip within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why Ugly Kydex? You just have to look at the pics... The Picasso of Kydex I ain't! I am guessing I am not the only ...

Thread: Project Ugly Kydex: AK Mag Belt Clip

VIP Member

Project Ugly Kydex: AK Mag Belt Clip

Why Ugly Kydex? You just have to look at the pics... The Picasso of Kydex I ain't!
    I am guessing I am not the only one mortified trying to get a decent & easy way to carry AK mags without having to resort to the downright annoying nylon pouches. I tried to do a kydex pouch, but I don't have all the tooling and the examples I found online were awful looking and expensive. My brain popped the idea of just making a clip & attach the mag belt. One of my considerations is to use the mag for our tactical carbine club so I need speed and the Home Depot apron was getting old. So here are the results.

The clip is semi permanent meaning that you have to remove the magazine bottom plate and take off the clip's screws to remove it or insert it. No modification to the mag is needed and it will not affect operation of the rifle. It will also not afect loading the mag with a LULA. This design is only recommended for metal mags. I have a couple of plastic mags that need a bit of different design which I have not come up with yet.
    Mrs Miggy modeled the creations. Easier in the eyes than me!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Why Ugly Kydex? You just have to look at the pics... The Picasso of Kydex I ain't!
    I am guessing I am not the only one mortified trying to get a decent & easy way to carry AK mags without having to resort to the downright annoying nylon pouches. I tried to do a kydex pouch, but I don't have all the tooling and the examples I found online were awful looking and expensive. My brain popped the idea of just making a clip & attach the mag belt. One of my considerations is to use the mag for our tactical carbine club so I need speed and the Home Depot apron was getting old. So here are the results.

The clip is semi permanent meaning that you have to remove the magazine bottom plate and take off the clip's screws to remove it or insert it. No modification to the mag is needed and it will not affect operation of the rifle. It will also not afect loading the mag with a LULA. This design is only recommended for metal mags. I have a couple of plastic mags that need a bit of different design which I have not come up with yet.
    Mrs Miggy modeled the creations. Easier in the eyes than me!

Nice looking effort...it's fun to experiment.

Miggy, I was getting a little worried as I read and looked at the pictures.

But then you said it was Mrs. Miggy. Pheew...I was thinking that your hips had rounded quite a bit...very nice, but not the Miggy we have all come to know!...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    And that is why I made the effort to identify the model. I know you clowns!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    Interesting solution. Good job !

I've never seen anything like it but as long as it works its all good !

Now that you've got me to thinking..I might make some like it for some AR mags. I'll use the rivets to put them together though...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Nice job there Migster.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Cool !

You had a problem and you solved it with kydex!

I've been trying to figure out how I can make a shotgun shell holder to screw onto the inside of my dresser drawers - would hold four or five shells straight up so I can open the drawer and grab them in a rush if I need to. I've thought about getting some plastic or kydex and playin' around with it ... I have a basic design in my head but I don't know where to start.

How did you get the kydex ??

Nix pix btw

tht is very nice and good idea. now if i had an ak with mags to do tht with. lol :) good job
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post

I've been trying to figure out how I can make a shotgun shell holder to screw onto the inside of my dresser drawers - would hold four or five shells straight up so I can open the drawer and grab them in a rush if I need to. I've thought about getting some plastic or kydex and playin' around with it ... I have a basic design in my head but I don't know where to start.

Nix pix btw
    Knifekits.com
    I recommend you buy the 18x24 kydex sheet and then whatever accesories, clips & assorted stuff you need.

I bought my heat gun with Northern Tool for $17 w/ S&H free. I think it is the best for the kind of little stuff I am doing. No holsters or anything that complicated. Check the How-To section for the kydex tutorial, it is great!
    Randy Cain.

Lead Moderator
    the mag clips look good.

Nix pix btw
    Kydex is nice to work, however multiple shell loops might be more than just tricky to make. Why not buy a cheap side saddle holder and screw it inside the drawer?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Pretty clever, I think. Very accessible . I like

VIP Member

From a Tactical Ninja Standpoint, it would make more sense that the shells were with the shotgun all the time. I think you should check out the SideSaddle
    Randy Cain.

Links