New Surefire L4

New Surefire L4

This is a discussion on New Surefire L4 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend I bought my first Surefire light, it's an L4 Digital Lumamax. It claims 100 lumens, and 2.5 hr. useful runtime. I measured ...

Thread: New Surefire L4

VIP Member

New Surefire L4

This past weekend I bought my first Surefire light, it's an L4 Digital Lumamax. It claims 100 lumens, and 2.5 hr. useful runtime. I measured it as 5 1/8" overall length, 3/4" body width with the head about 1" width. It has a clip. It's a very nice light, and should be with a sticker price listed as a whopping $165 (OUCH). Though I paid less than that, plus got two extra batteries.

Here's the worrisome part, as I was opening the package, inside the cardboard packing in an obscure area was some electronic circuitry. Mostly flat copper strips with a small IC board in the middle, with the words "ALIEN 2005" nearby. I'd like to think that it is one of the chip devices that set off store alarms in the event it's shoplifted. Does anyone know for sure? I'm now wearing a tinfoil hat in the meantime until I know for sure .
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Great light! Check out http://zapatopi.net/afdb/ for beanie construction hints.

I had the same circuitry inside the packaging for my surefire also. Have never seen anything like it before.I also wonder what it's purpose is.

I had to go look, because this just sounded too strange, so I just opened one up and showed the alien chip thing to one of our computer ace ladies - yes, it's circuitry to trip the alarm in a retail store, I guess it will replace the little thick white plastic things that we've all seen.
    On a side note, that is the smallest flashlight for size to output that I have ever seen. Very nice. Problem is that now I want one.

You guys have just rendered $10 of the retail price of the flashlight ABSOLUTELY USELESS by clearly explaining that to shoplift this item...you must take it out of the box!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    I had to go look, because this just sounded too strange, so I just opened one up and showed the alien chip thing to one of our computer ace ladies - yes, it's circuitry to trip the alarm in a retail store .

This "computer ace lady".........do you really know her? I'm doubling the foil on my hat just as soon as I post this.

The light is great, the only down side is that I'd REALLY hate to lose it....................$$$
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    This "computer ace lady".........do you really know her? I'm doubling the foil on my hat just as soon as I post this.

The light is great, the only down side is that I'd REALLY hate to lose it....................$$$
    Yep, I trust her. I removed my tin foil right after talking with her. She did say to ignore the Alien wording on it and then she turned green and flew out the window.......

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Welcome to the surefire owner club and if you are afraid of losing the light then you are best off tieing the thing around your neck
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Actually it does come with a lanyard, but I'm more worried about missplacing it around the house (CRS) than it falling out of my pocket.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    keep it in a pocket on your pants if got one to spare
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Links