Trasers...No, not Tracers.

This is a discussion on Trasers...No, not Tracers. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a new odd toy err...ahem... tool. It's called a traser. No, not tracer...Traser. It's a small glass vial with the inside drilled out ...

Thread: Trasers...No, not Tracers.

Trasers...No, not Tracers.

I found a new odd toy err...ahem... tool.

It's called a traser. No, not tracer...Traser. It's a small glass vial with the inside drilled out and coated in a phosphorous powder. Then it's filled with Tritium gas (yes the same stuff as the night sights). Supposedly the half-life on these things is 12 years.

They're really just an innovative glow ring. They don't have to be "snapped" like the cyalume sticks, they don't have to be held up to the light for a few minutes first, and they don't need batteries. They glow constantly(radioactive) for around 24 years(but start glowing half as bright at around 12).

They're not super bright, but I figure they're good for tagging to things that you don't want to lose in the dark(that's my plan anyway). I tried to take a picture in the dark, but all that shows up is a wierd fuzzy/grainy glow and you can't even make out what it is. I figure you must have to use some sort of filter for your lense or something(maybe because it's slightly radioactive?). About the only way I found to view it via modern electronics was with a handycam with the nightvision feature turned on. So since I can't seem to get a photo myself I'm just going to link to one where these folks clearly figured out how to take them:
    http://www.theglowcompany.co.uk/acat...LOW_RINGS.html

Everywhere I've read says they're safe, but I hesitate to put it on my keyring (which goes into my front pocket). It's a tad bit too close to the crown jewels there to be putting anything radioactive with my keys...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No joke......let Homer Simpson put it in HIS pocket.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Yes. I have seen these. I have also seen the vials sold by themselves. Over on the candlepower forums they glue them into the grooves on their lights. This way you can spot them in the dark if needed.

I can think of a hundred uses. I have also seen them used in jewelry.

If you do some searching here you can find them for sale in many different sizes.

EDIT:

Ok here it is.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Wonder if they would make a good 'Strike indicator" for night fishing.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Wonder if they would make a good 'Strike indicator" for night fishing.
    WOW Yea, why not? Great idea.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    I've been playing around with them for a while now.
    I took the Tritium vials out of the plastic keychain housings and did some neat things with them.
    I made a really neat 18K gold pendant with 3 different glowing colored vials set into it. Blue-Yellow-& Green - Very neat. I sold it.
    Not to mention the world's only radioactive glowing yellow ivory guitar pick.
    They really are safe...just don't eat them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cool. Might make really great trail markers for finding the hunting blind/stand before the sun comes up.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Links