Surefire G2 vs G2 LED

Surefire G2 vs G2 LED

This is a discussion on Surefire G2 vs G2 LED within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a standard black G2 as a primary light with an E2e as a back up light while working (PO). It is 65 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire G2 vs G2 LED

Surefire G2 vs G2 LED

I currently carry a standard black G2 as a primary light with an E2e as a back up light while working (PO). It is 65 lumens. I was on the Surefire website and saw the G2 LED that has 80 lumens and runs for 12 hours. Prior to seeing the G2 LED I was considering getting the 8NX or 8AX which are both rechargeable. But if I can get a light that runs for 12 hours, that might be the better route.

Does anyone own the G2 LED and a standard G2? I know that the LED has more lumens but does it throw the light as far as the standard G2?

Then again the 8NX and 8AX both have 110 lumens.

Can anyone give me a little advise?

Thanks.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I own the G2 LED and use it on duty (LEO) so yes it does throw the light well and is very realiable if you anything or have any questions pm me
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Administrator
    I use one on my raid vest, it works very well. The only issue I have with it is when the battery goes, it just dumps. I just carry some spare batteries.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I got the G2 LED a few months ago......great light and plenty bright.
    A few people have said they don't care for the light the LED gives off and perfer the regular light.......I'm not that picky. It's cheaper than the non-LED G2, a little brighter, and lasts 11-12 hours with thier batteries (vice the 3-6 with other G2). Very bright, takes up no space on my duty belt (aux security, DOD...not LE) and will go in my pocket off duty. I use little flashlites all the time and own MANY mini-mags, but the G2 is MY go-to carry light.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks for the responses. I just ordered the G2 LED and a V70 holder. I love my G2 but the run time was too short. So 12 hours on the LED version should be awesome.

I'll post a review when I get to compare the G2 with the G2L.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I just ordered the G2 LED and a V70 holder. I love my G2 but the run time was too short. So 12 hours on the LED version should be awesome.

I'll post a review when I get to compare the G2 with the G2L.
    Why didn't you just get a drop in cree LED (the same LED thats in the new G2L) for your old G2?

Quote Originally Posted by wotblake View Post
    Why didn't you just get a drop in cree LED (the same LED thats in the new G2L) for your old G2?
    I was unaware that I could have done that. Oh well. The G2 was only $36 and the G2 LED was only $65. So my G2 will replace my Stinger XT as a bedside light and the Stinger XT will be moved to its charger in the garage. I have flashlights all over the house.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Today I had the opportunity to compare my G2 with the G2 LED. I thought that the LED would really outshine my G2, but it didn't. They covered the same distance and area. The only difference was the G2 had a white light and the LED had a blue light. I would give the LED a slight edge, in that everything appeared a little sharper than with the G2.

I am still glad that I made the purchase. The LED has a 12 hour run time on one pair of batteries. The LED will ride on my duty belt and the G2 will be my bedside light as it will get less use there and less battery changes.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Today I had the opportunity to compare my G2 with the G2 LED. I thought that the LED would really outshine my G2, but it didn't. They covered the same distance and area. The only difference was the G2 had a white light and the LED had a blue light. I would give the LED a slight edge, in that everything appeared a little sharper than with the G2.

I am still glad that I made the purchase. The LED has a 12 hour run time on one pair of batteries. The LED will ride on my duty belt and the G2 will be my bedside light as it will get less use there and less battery changes.
    You may notice that the LED has better edge flood lighting while still maintaining decent throw. I'd say you're making the right choice.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Get the 6P Defender. Its got the bevelled head and is made of aircraft-grade aluminum. Just picked mine up. Love it more than the old G2 I used to have.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Mo
    If the G2 LED really runs at close to full strength for close to 12 hours, I'm going to have to pick up a couple. I've got 2 original G2s and a E1E, but you never have too many Surefires.

The G2 LED starts out at 85 lumens than in the first 30 minutes the thermal protection kicks in and it lowers to ~60 lumens for about 4 full hours (very flat regulation for the 4 hours) then starts to decline for about 8+ more hours.

Here is a runtime chart done by Chevrofreak on CPF

Personally, I love the way its set up. The G2 LED has about the same output as the regular G2 only it lasts ALOT longer.

It has become my 'go-to' light for general lighting.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I got a G2LED yesterday and I was blown away by how bright it was.

I have the 6PL version (a metal G2) and really love it -- it is my first Surefire.

Surefire G2 LED

I have a g2 with a 105 lumen bulb it stays in the wife's car. And a g2 led,that I have been using for hunting. I think the led version is better.
    When I first found out about surefire. I bought one of their rechargeables, I was disapointed with the battery life. You need to take the battery out every 5/6 days or the battery goes dead on you.
    I keep a 9p on the night stand next to my bed.
    I keep a G3 in my truck.
    And carry a E2D defender on my person, and I have noticed that they will work and then you go to turn it on and it seems that the bulb has burned out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links