Thinking about a camelbak for the wife.

This is a discussion on Thinking about a camelbak for the wife. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife is starting to get more and more into biking. She is out pretty late on some roads in the country and I would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a camelbak for the wife.

The wife is starting to get more and more into biking. She is out pretty late on some roads in the country and I would rather have her a bit more safe then sorry if she has a flat and needs help.

The one that I am looking at is the camelback dream http://www.rei.com/product/733420 but I don't much about hydration packs. The big thing that concerns me is the the sweat the would come off of the bag from the water so it looks like stainless is the way to go. I am thinking a Smith 642 would work perfectly for this.

Anyone here have any experience with this stuff?

I currently own three CamelBak's and looking to add another to my collection.the beauty of CamelBaks are that most if not all models hold the bladder in a separate compartment from the cargo area which is easy to install and remove.by doing this the condensation from the bladder doesnt come in contact with any cargo you maybe carrying.
    before you buy from REI check out CamelBak's web site and look at all of the models they list for womans fit and where the nearest dealer is located to you.this way you can go to a store with the wife and look at what they have and how the packs fit her.you will also get a better ida if the cargo area is big enough for what she plans on taking with her while out riding along with a pistol.
    the thing i've found with CamelBak's are that you look at the listed
    cuibic inches and it never seems to be enough when it's loaded with gear.

Quote Originally Posted by CPL B View Post
    the thing i've found with CamelBak's are that you look at the listed cuibic inches and it never seems to be enough when it's loaded with gear.
    +1, I've got the BFM, the biggest hydration/cargo pack they make that I use for a wilderness SAR pack and there have been times I was wishing for a little more room. Also, look for one with the "hydrolock" connections for the resevoir and bite valve. It's a quick-connect feature that makes cleaning and changing resevoirs a lot easier.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Look into the CamelBak 'Goblin'.
    It is featured under the law enforcement area of their commercial website.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    I use mine for hiking & jogging.

Works great!

i totally forgot about the goblin.

If you do not own one, and you aquire one, you'll never be without one. Real handy!

I have 3 Camelbaks and without a doubt the perfect accessory is the Mylar Bladder Cover that Blackhawk makes.

I have one on each of my Camelbaks! It is a very thin neoprene like insulating material with a silver mylar that is fused to it in which you slip the hydration bladder into. It greatly extends the amount of time your drinks keep either hot or cold.

I'm talking every bit of 10 + hours depending on ambient temps and how cold your beverage was when you filled it up. Also with one of mylar covers you don't get any condensation plus it provides an extra layer of protection for your bladder

When I bought the first one I was amazed at the comparison between one with the mylar cover and one without. You also need to invest in an insulated tube cover if you don't want your first drink to be hot water on a hot day. It will keep that first drink cool without having to backwash the tube water back into the reservoir.

You can get them from Blackhawk or at U.S. Cavalry
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Good points about the insulation stuff. I have an old M.U.L.E. that I got around 1998, and a new one I just got a month or two ago.

I have to say that the price of this stuff has not gotten any cheaper. I paid like $80 for the M.U.L.E. at a bike shop in '98, and again about $80 this time at The Sports Authority. I suppose I could've shopped it around, but there are not a lot of stores that carry them, and I didn't want to buy from someone on eBay when I'd be drinking out of the thing.

Where's a good source for the mylar sleeve and the tube cover?

Administrator
    I have one too, I use it on long dirt bike rides. It doesnt sweat at all, whatever I have in the storage area stays dry. I wouldnt worry about that much. The 642 is a fine choice though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I love my Camelbak. I have the women's Daystar. The Daystar is big enough to fit enough gear for a daytrip, but small enough so that it doesn't look like you're carrying a big garbage bag. It shouldn't get the way of cycling; the chest and waist strap are very good.

The bladder fits in a separate compartment and I have had no issue with any condensation leaking into the cargo area (and I carry my camera gear in there). The Daystar also has a smaller zippered area for wallet/keys/etc.

I took mine to Scotland and Colorado. It's a great backpack.
    Attached Images
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have a Camelback Demon that I use quite a bit. It is a great concealment pack, with a velcro secured gun compartment door against the small of the back. There is no waist strap, but I've cycled quite a bit with mine with no problems. It's a medium sized day pack - might be bigger than you need for cycling. I carry rain gear and a few other things in mine, so the size is just right for my purposes. Access to the gun is similar to small of the back carry - just reach back, open the velcro door, and draw it out. Very easy and fast. The velcro is noisy when you open the door, but I don't think that would be a problem in most self defense situations.

Some states (like New Mexico) allow concealed carry on a bike just like a car, others require a CCW to do it. You may want to check that out.

Just a bit of a update, I went and checked them out and it looks like she will be picking up either the dream or the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq

A buddy of mine who is big into mountain biking swears by his.
    According to him he's taken a couple of good spills while wearing it and it's taken the abuse without issue.

The water is nice; but, the firearm is a absolute must have.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links