Lasermax Unimax Rail Mount Laser

This is a discussion on Lasermax Unimax Rail Mount Laser within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone got one of these yet? http://www.opticsplanet.net/lasermax...ght-47935.html My watch word for CC has been "Concealable", to this point I haven't used the rail on my ...

Thread: Lasermax Unimax Rail Mount Laser

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

Lasermax Unimax Rail Mount Laser

Anyone got one of these yet?
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/lasermax...ght-47935.html

My watch word for CC has been "Concealable", to this point I haven't used the rail on my XD 9mm SC yet because all the addons appear to be too bulky for a CC. Two things have come to light though as I walk through the valley of death. (1) "All" subcompacts suffer from short sight radius (2) It's hard to get a good sight picture in low light.

The Lasermax weighs about as much as a .40 cal round and looks small enough to not add bulk to my weapon. I'd like some expert opinion's though.

I'm also in the quandary of triijon versus TruGlo at the moment.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't have one....I think it's a good idea, but places an added on weaponlight too low for me to use a momentary button without unwrapping my support hand from my shooting hand.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

After a few months of research. I finally made a decision and got the Laserlyte last week. Compared them to the LaserMax Uni and the Insight X2 at the gun shop. No noticeable difference between the three. Got it home and have had them on for 200 rounds. Has held zero without any adjustment so far. It works best in dim light or total darkness but they are perfectly visible in doors with fluorescent or incandescent lights and also perfectly visible in day light except bright direct sunlight. In Washington with our typically gloomy overcast skies I expect they will work perfectly 320 days out of the year. The best thing is how much they have improved my confidence point shooting and how they point out any error in my shooting i.e. I can see I still tend to jerk a bit when I am rapid firing. These things are awesome and I would recommend them to anyone, except BG's. They appear well made. Solid CNC aluminum simple rectangular shape with slightly beveled edges that blends in perfectly with the XD. Don't let the price fool you this is a decently made product. Sighting them in is a bit of a pain but not impossible even for me. Kevin at K&D holster said no problem making the holster fit them so I am very pleased. If you do not have a laser sight for your carry IMO this is the one to get

Tried to get a pic of the laser but the flash was too much for it

LR,

What were your thoughts going with the Laserlyte as opposed to the LaserMax Uni?
    I'm considering the Uni red laser (green is crazy expensive!).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    LR,

What were your thoughts going with the Laserlyte as opposed to the LaserMax Uni?
    I'm considering the Uni red laser (green is crazy expensive!).

- Janq
    I would prefer the green but it was not available when I got mine. To me the LaserLyte seemed better made. LaserMax's rail mount Uni Laser is about the same size but made out of plastic with a big LaserMax emblem on it. Looked gadgety to me. Is gadgety a word? The LaserLyte is CNC machined aircraft grade aluminum simple rectangle shape with the edges beveled to prevent snags. K&D Holsters has no problem making a holster to accommodate it. To me it looks like it was made for my XD.45 compact. It just blends better with the gun, not that its a major deal. The LaserLyte also seemed just a bit brighter clearer. I liked the on / off button in the back instead of the slide on the side. You can check it out the specs at LaserLyte Sub Compact Laser Sight. Below is a pic of it

As you can see it is tiny. My first post has the pic of it on the XD.

The only issue is you need to put blue locktite on the adjustment screws or it will lose POA. Mine lost POA after about 500 rounds without the locktight. The adjustment screws are about the size of an ant's nuts so it is a pain to get it sighted right took me about 20 minutes or so. Since I added the locktite it has stayed solid as a rock.

Last thing, I hogged out the screw while replacing the battery. I figured I would have to drill the screw out or use an easy out. I called LaserLyte to see about getting a replacement screw. Before I got done explaining the problem the lady had my name and shipping info. Than said a new one was on its way to me. No questions asked! Never have I had better customer service. This is a well made product with premier grade A number one customer service. Customer service alone would have me go with the LaserLyte Anyway Hope that helps.

An aside. Are you getting a laser for your new gun? Are posting pics of it?

Airbornerangerboogie Get the Tru Glo I replaced my Meprolights with Tru Glo love them

SRFL The LaserLyte has the button right there in back for your support hand to tap with your index finger or tap it as you get your support hand in place. Instead of on the side
    Last edited by LongRider; December 2nd, 2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: reduce rambling, try to actually answers Janq's question
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If you're looking at Lasermax, why not just get the internal guide rod replacement laser for your compact XD?

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=96

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    If you're looking at Lasermax, why not just get the internal guide rod replacement laser for your compact XD?
    The guide rod laser is a great concept but there were some reports of it failing. Also, one of the things that impressed me most about the XD.45 compact was how much fun it is to shoot. To me it's a minor miracle that a compact .45 does not beat your hand to death. The XD handles about as well a real gun. My guess is in part that is due to the captive dual springs on the guide rod. The LaserMax guide rod laser would replace it with a single spring set up. Last some folks are getting heavier guide rods to further reduce muzzle flip. The LaserMax guide rod laser is made of plastic lighter than OEM so my guess was that it may increase muzzle flip. Someone that has one could tell us if that guess was correct or not

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    The guide rod laser is a great concept but there were some reports of it failing. Also, one of the things that impressed me most about the XD.45 compact was how much fun it is to shoot. To me it's a minor miracle that a compact .45 does not beat your hand to death. The XD handles about as well a real gun. My guess is in part that is due to the captive dual springs on the guide rod. The LaserMax guide rod laser would replace it with a single spring set up. Last some folks are getting heavier guide rods to further reduce muzzle flip. The LaserMax guide rod laser is made of plastic lighter than OEM so my guess was that it may increase muzzle flip. Someone that has one could tell us if that guess was correct or not
    What's that supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    What's that supposed to mean?
    Oh as in not tupperware Joking I love my XD. Never thought I would shoot a plastic gun AND like it . Also that it is a compact not full sized.

Airbornerangerboogie...

I have an XD9sc and by far, the best investment was the XS Big Dot tritium sights!

I'm with you regarding the short sight radius on sub compacts and while my XD9sc is my BUG; will probably be used at such close quarters (contact distance out to 3 feet), that I probably won't even use the sights.

Still, I wanted sights that I could pick-up rapidly and in low light conditions since I will go to the sights given half a chance to do so. Also, since getting the XD9sc, I am now frequently carrying it as a primary gun as well.

After doing research and learning that a vertically aligned sight set up is faster for the human eye to acquire than any 3 dot, horizontal sight, I naturally went with the XS Big Dots in tritium.

While something like the Heine "Straight 8's" are also a vertical sight alignment, I chose the Big Dots of the XS brand because with my middle aged eyes, I need all the help I can get, to obtain getting that 1st shot capability.

I couldn't be happier with my choice! The XS Big Dot tritiums are awesome and noticably faster than the traditional all green meprolight 3 dots on my Glock-23.

Regarding the Laser... I am very seriously tempted in getting the Lasermax Uni green laser for use on my Glock-23 as well as the AR-15! I do have an Insight M3 tactical light for my Glock, it does not have the laser on it. This way with the Lasermax Uni, I can stack it on the Glock with my tac light.

I also like the Lasermax Uni because they have an optional remote switch that you can get with either a 6 inch or a 10 inch cord making it perfect for use on the AR-15.

If I do end up getting that set up for Christmas this year, I'll definitely let you guys know how it works! I would really like to spring for the green laser due to is color spectrum but not sure if I want to part with that much cash yet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links