What type or size of shirt should I wear to conceal?

This is a discussion on What type or size of shirt should I wear to conceal? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just starting to carry. What type or size of shirt should I wear to conceal? I wear a large shirt, its a little bit loose, ...

Thread: What type or size of shirt should I wear to conceal?

Just starting to carry. What type or size of shirt should I wear to conceal? I wear a large shirt, its a little bit loose, should I get a XL shirt? Should I wear button up shirts? I found that darker shirts or shirt with patterns will break up the "printing" of a pistol, do you guys find this to be true.

First off, welcome to the club.

Next, yes, I have noticed that the darker the shirt or the busier the pattern, the less printing there is.

I conceal my gun under a T-Shirt, sometimes under a tank top type shirt, button up shirt, what ever I have. I don't wear the same kind of shirt all the time so I blend in even with people who I know well. They don't know I am carrying because I wear different types of shirts and pants just like anyone else does.

I also try to wear shirts that are a size bigger than what I am so there is ample room under there for the gun. I wear a medium size shirt so i conceal with a large. It works out very well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Not really a difficult call, keep it loose (mine is usually unbuttoned here in FL)...and...can you see your sidearm through it?
    Patterned loose/open shirts are pretty common here in the Gunshine State! They go well with my other 'winter' clothing, shorts and sandals.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    If I'm going out for the evening with my friends, or my gf, I'm wearing a T-shirt and then a button down shirt, usually in a dark color (my preference), and occasionally busy (which I don't like...again, just me.)

If I'm carrying when I'm going out with my father in the morning because we're working on something around the house, usually the pistol goes on in the IWB with just a dark t-shirt covering it.

I wear XL shirts as my "outer" t-shirts, and L for undershirts. My button downs are also XL's.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Patterned loose/open shirts are pretty common here in the Gunshine State! They go well with my other 'winter' clothing, shorts and sandals.
    Woolrich came out with a nice shirt for concealment that looks nice. I already hinted the wife that I want one for B-Day-Xmas.
    http://www.optactical.com/woeltadicash.html

I don't usually do light shirts since I carry OWB and it can get windy in South Florida. Unless the shirt is weighed down, I may end up with an accidental display. I do the standard photo vest all worn out and full of stuff in the pockets that is "stiff" enough to hold on to most of the breezes and some gusts.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Another good feature for button up shirts is the flat bottom models. The "tails" on many button up shirts kind of defeats the purpose. I prefer the button up fashion, non-work shirts from Dickies that you can get at Walmart. They are plaid, well sized, and come in many different patterns and colors.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I wear whatever, loose is better. If I'm more concerned about not printing I wear a plaid or busy pattern. +1 on flat bottom (tail-less) for the button shirts untucked.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Old Navy button-up shirts with patterns work very well for me.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

What I wear varies depending on the time of year and the circumstances. It ranges from t-shirts, to open-front shirts, to sweatshirts, to photographers vests, to tucked-in button up shirts, to light jackets, to heavy coats.

If you wear an open-front shirt, there are two problems that can be caused by the lightweight fabric they’re made from. The first was mentioned in one of the previous posts, the wind can blow it open and reveal your gun. The second is the cloth doesn’t have enough body or weight for you to toss it out of the way easily during your draw stroke. This can be remedied by sewing a couple of large metal buttons on the inside of the bottom front corner on each side of the hem.

I have occasion, once in a while, to wear my gun (full-sized 1911 or Glock) with a shirt buttoned up and tucked in. A good “tuckable” holster will facilitate this if you just blouse your shirt a little to loosen the cloth over the gun. Last time I wore my gun this way was at a three-hour long family party at a local restaurant where we were celebrating my in-laws’ eightieth birthday. I was wearing a shirt and tie and milling around with a group of about thirty people. Nobody noticed. Several manufacturers make good quality tuckabale holsters. The ones I use are Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment Holsters.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Woolrich came out with a nice shirt for concealment that looks nice. I already hinted the wife that I want one for B-Day-Xmas.
    http://www.optactical.com/woeltadicash.html

I don't usually do light shirts since I carry OWB and it can get windy in South Florida. Unless the shirt is weighed down, I may end up with an accidental display. I do the standard photo vest all worn out and full of stuff in the pockets that is "stiff" enough to hold on to most of the breezes and some gusts.
    Nice lookin shirt. I'll have to put them on my Xmas list.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    Old Navy button-up shirts with patterns work very well for me.
    I like the price of old navy. They will tide me over till I can get some dress shirts that will work.

I agree that shirts with a "straight cut" bottem hem looks like the shirt is designed to be worn untucked as well.

Some people don't like the "sloppy" dressed look of wearing an untucked button up shirt that has tails, but the square cut hems look ok if they are untucked.

I have always worn my polo shirts untucked so now that I ccw, I don't look any different than I did before I was packing.

The only time I tuck in my shirts is on dressier occasions where it is more appropriate to tuck in and then I usually wear a chest mounted belly band style holster like this one here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I love my Hawaiian shirts.

The short sleeve shirt with sqaure tails is called a "Camp Shirt", I wear them most of the time Spring, Summer, and part of Fall. In winter I switch to sweaters or sweatshirts.

Another idea is to get an Inside the Waist Band with "J" hooks. That way you can wear your gun and tuck your shirt in.

One thing to understand is that body type, and gun type can play a big part in carry concealed. You really need to choose the right holster for your body type and the gun you are carrying.

I , and many of my friends, carry two or more guns and you would never know it. It is simply a matter of making smart choices.

Now that you are carrying concealed don't change you mode of dress. I have known people that suddenly began wearing 5.11s and untucked polo shirts when they started carrying. If you didn't dress like that before don't start. Find the gun/holster combo that works for you.

My normal carry rig is a Kirkpatrick Leather Compact Under cover for my G19 or my M&P9, and a J-Frame in the pocket.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Dark colored and I use the same size I always buy.

To solve the "Windy" problem, I button the bottom button. If I need access to the gun I won't mind tearing the button off.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Sponsored Links