HORNADY TAP Personal Defense Ammo

HORNADY TAP Personal Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on HORNADY TAP Personal Defense Ammo within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YES...The Cartridge Cases REALLY ARE JET BLACK (Black Nickel) Has anybody shot this stuff yet? The 12 gauge stuff sounds extra nice AND the .45 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

Question HORNADY TAP Personal Defense Ammo

YES...The Cartridge Cases REALLY ARE JET BLACK (Black Nickel)
    Has anybody shot this stuff yet? The 12 gauge stuff sounds extra nice AND the .45 looks (to me) like it would be real great with its "way reduced" muzzle flash

TAP Personal Defense Ammunition - Click Here

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Still in the stage of ''just recently heard of this''. Long ways to go yet before I want to try it - unless of course anyone wants to donate some for ''test'' !

As ever - more than interested in any new offerings.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Exclamation Gun Show this weekend and this is my FIRST purchase of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    YES...The Cartridge Cases REALLY ARE JET BLACK (Black Nickel)
    Has anybody shot this stuff yet? The 12 gauge stuff sounds extra nice AND the .45 looks (to me) like it would be real great with its "way reduced" muzzle flash

TAP Personal Defense Ammunition - Click Here

This looks too good to be true, so I'm buying a couple of boxes: One to shoot to see where the .40 S&W prints from my M27 Glock and the rest to fill mags for my trip on Tuesday next week. If it works in the 40, I'm certainly going to pick up some in .45 and .308.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I liked the 308 version. I use only their bullets in my rifle handloads, but did notice this factory round had alot lower flash from my rifle. Have not tried any of the pistol rounds since they I'm pretty sure they are loaded with the XTP bullet. It is a fine hunting bullet but there has been some testing that showed poor expansion and over penetration in a personal defense pistol round. Would like to see some more testing on this. I do use them in reloads as a backup personal defense round (for max penetration against harder targets), but think I will stick with the Golden Saber as a primary load to carry daily.
    A superior combat handgunner is best defined as one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills.

Uh oh. It's black. Deadly dangerous black. With shiny bullets. Could that be an armor-piercing tip on that assault weapon round? It looks sinister. It looks like....evil assault ammunition. They say the coating is for lubrication, to make operation smoother. We've heard that before. And who's to say this is REALLY used for so-called "personal defense"? And what does "TAP" mean? People are being exposed to this ammunition at gun shows, as if it were just ammunition. Right now, this very instant, there are people out there with BOXES of this stuff - so dangerous that people fall over from just looking at it. And they are going to shoot it. And what happens then? It will be the wild west, all over again. Blood in the streets. Dogs lying down with goats. Oh, the humanity! People are dying every day this ammunition is being sold. How long before we come to our senses and ban it? For the children.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Administrator

Tom.......

Oh...That's Right!
    Evil Black Bullets.
    Ammunition of SATAN!
    666 bullets.

Why couldn't they have made them POWDER BLUE??? Doggoneit.

Assistant Administrator
    Why couldn't they have made them POWDER BLUE??? Doggoneit.
    No way - QK (hey, that rhymes!!)

If that had been chosen color it would have been seen as UN color!! Couldn't have that could we - in this PC world we inhabit?!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Question Hornady XTP

Quote Originally Posted by ghost10750
    Have not tried any of the pistol rounds since they I'm pretty sure they are loaded with the XTP bullet. It is a fine hunting bullet but there has been some testing that showed poor expansion and over penetration in a personal defense pistol round. Would like to see some more testing on this. I do use them in reloads as a backup personal defense round (for max penetration against harder targets), but think I will stick with the Golden Saber as a primary load to carry daily.
    That's interesting, I have heard nothing but PRAISE for the XTP as a self defense round. I bought like 500 of them in 45ACP but then, even military hard ball will do well there. Well, I'm gonna keep 'em anyway. LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Guys, remember...black talon...its all about marketing...not about best ammo for personal self defense. That does not mean that it is not excellent ammo. Time will tell.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Cool It's All in the Name

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Guys, remember...black talon...its all about marketing...not about best ammo for personal self defense. That does not mean that it is not excellent ammo. Time will tell.
    It IS excellent ammo, almost too good. I have an expended round that was fired into a soaked phone book and resulted in perfect expansion. A total "star" pattern with those nasty little points the surgeons were complaining sliced through their latex gloves while removing said bullets from bad guys corpses. The resulting media blitz had the effect of turning the brilliant ad campaign into a ummmmm"dead weight" around Winchester's neck and so they voluntarily withdrew the product from the market. It may have returned as the Ranger SXT but because of the negative press surrounding "Black Talon" I would NEVER carry it on the street. I just don't want to give anything to the media or antigun prosecutors to chew on.

Wink Kill phone book

Well..if I ever have to kill a phone book.....

Look, not knocking the ammo. Look at it this way, I would rather test ammo in a medium that is consistant, and is accepted in the industry.

About 20 or so years ago, I was talking to a friend, who has been testing ammo about forever. I told him my favorite 38 special load..Federals nyclad hp, opened up nicely in wet sand. His answer? You can guess.

Last, you know..hit them where they live.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Administrator

Black Talon

It's a doggone shame that saying BLACK TALON might as well be saying "Cop Killer Bullets" ~ Black Talon somehow morphed into EVIL AMMO...Unreal!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thumbs up Love that NYCLAD!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    My favorite 38 special load..Federals nyclad hp, opened up nicely in wet sand.
    I LOVE the Nyclad! It was great because it was the only round available in a standard pressure 38sp that would expand consistently from a snubbie. It was clean, too.

The Black Talon was a good load, but QK got my point. The very name BLACK TALON has morphed into something evil and that truly is a shame. Even in a justifiable shooting scenario, I could use RANGER SXT loads and it would probably be the same thing but if they came from the box marked Black Talon, I'm betting the LIARS I mean LAWYERS would just be drooling.

OD*
    We would have people come into the shop and ask for "that Black Felon ammo."
    Might have had something to do with the name change.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Cool Lol

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    We would have people come into the shop and ask for "that Black Felon ammo."
    Might have had something to do with the name change.
    LOL that's HILARIOUS! I remember a few years ago, the NAACP went ballistic over the use of the standard B-9 silouhette target because it was "black" and they felt a message was being sent. So a ton of departments switched to the GREEN silouhette target. Then the guys in the police choppers who spot for the ground patrol units started telling the cops on the ground using the new designated target type as in

"YOUR GREEN GUY JUST VAULTED THE FENCE AND IS HEADING SOUTH IN THE ALLEY...." And it all just went away but that was pretty funny, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links