Since I'm getting shot at...

This is a discussion on Since I'm getting shot at... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I understand that the best way to keep the BG from shooting me is to shoot him first, what are my options when it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since I'm getting shot at...

Since I'm getting shot at...

While I understand that the best way to keep the BG from shooting me is to shoot him first, what are my options when it comes to armor? Imean what is avalible for civilian purchace, is there paper work (ie Tax stamp) and where do I get it?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Check your state Laws first , in some states its fine , in others possession of body armor is a felony . After that i suggest you start with the galls catalog they do ( or used to ) have a fair selection .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Also , most if not all body armor will be noticeable under normal clothes. Even concealable body armor seems to stand out some. It isn't really practical for everyday use unless you work a high risk job(LE, ect). Lots of places to buy body armor though.
    Finally , body armor has a short lifespan it is rated for (typically around 5 yrs) before you are recommended to replace it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    What are you doing that gets you shot at? I confused...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What are you doing that gets you shot at? I confused...
    He's in Florida, isn't that enough?

Where is it illegal to own body armor? What the heck is that all about??? If we aren't careful they are going to outlaw seatbelts for conservatives!!

Senior Moderator
    Many state have enacted laws that deal with armour. Most of them make it an additional charge of wearing body armour in the commision of a crime...meaning that it is not illegal to own or wear it unless you are robbing a bank or doing something stupid.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Many state have enacted laws that deal with armour. Most of them make it an additional charge of wearing body armour in the commision of a crime...meaning that it is not illegal to own or wear it unless you are robbing a bank or doing something stupid.
    Or if your a convicted felon.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Or if your a convicted felon.
    Yep...that too...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

There are actually used body armor vendors on the internet! Most departments swap out their issued vests every couple of years, per the manufacturers recommendation. The big issue with body armor is how well it was treated and maintained by its previous owner. I recently gave a friend a vest that I bought used twenty years ago. I bought it from a retired secret service agent to supplement my leathers on my motorcycle. The ballistic panels were sealed in a plastic shell, and the vest did not get worn daily while I owned it. Well, Scott took the vest out to the range to have a little fun, and found out that even as old as it is, it was still able to stop both 115 FMJ 9mm and 230 FMJ .45 ACP at a range of seven yards!
    You can get used with a warranty for about half what a new vest would cost, but make sure you are dealing with a quality vendor.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Its illegal for a non-leo to wear body armor in texas, don't agree with the logic, but hey thats what the legislator pushed through.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    Many of your BA questions will be answered if you click on this link.
    http://www.bulletproofme.com/Quick_Answers.shtml

I have a threat level III A w/ added hard and soft trauma plate inserts and as a civilian I honestly could never wear it every day.
    I wear it only very sporadically when I venture into the more deteriorated areas of the city - when I buy at older home estate sales and those areas can sometimes be dangerous.
    At those types of sales - all buyers are required to pay with cash and that adds a bit more hazard since the Bad Guys have occasionally been known to "stake out" estate sales knowing that there is always "in pocket" cash money.
    So I go armed and armored.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Check out Dragon Skin in the Fresno Area. You have probably heard of them.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Bearing in mind what QKShooter said, I'd rethink getting body armor. It's hot in the summer, heavy and bulky to wear, needs to be cared for a lot, probably require you to buy larger shirts, covers only about 40 % of your body, it's fairly expensive, and easily detected by casual observance.

Still, if you're determined to have some, visit with your local LE for info and maybe they will share a few of the catalogs that they constantly get from various vendors. Most of the LEOs that I know do not wear when they are off duty, especially when it's hot.

Bulletproofme is a good on-line vendor. If your looking for a concealable type get IIa or II with out side protection.

Body armor is hot and sticks out under your shirt but is something I wear at shooting ranges. Gun handling skill is not always the best.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links