Steel toed shoe recommendations.

This is a discussion on Steel toed shoe recommendations. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have worn Doc Martens for years- great boot I just picked up a 6" Wolverine a couple months ago- Comfy and very lightweight- I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel toed shoe recommendations.

I have worn Doc Martens for years- great boot
    I just picked up a 6" Wolverine a couple months ago- Comfy and very lightweight- I almost like them more than my Doc's

2. Remove Ads

I am a big guy also and liked my redwings a lot for two years ,then my feet and ankles killed me.

turns out that my arches fell and I could barley walk, I am now using shoe orthotics to add a great amount of support.
    Guns don't kill people , compounded interest kills people

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Do they have to be steel toe, or just meet the ASTM standards for a safety toe? If you can go with a composite, by all means do so. Your shoes will be lighter and your wallet won't be if you shop around. I work in nuclear power plants, and all the sites specify "safety shoes" - i.e. leather upper, non slip sole, steel or composite toe. I went with a nice set of Converse boots for a couple of reasons. First, no metal to set off the detectors every day when I walk in, and second, they are LIGHT and COMFORTABLE - and have a convenient side zipper. If you're looking at mostly light duty stuff and just need the impact protection, you might expand your search into this category.

Here's where I got mine. They shipped same day and the fellow I spoke to over the phone when I had questions was very helpful.

http://www.desert-gear.com/converseboots.html

This is the specific style that I picked - YMMV, of course.

http://www.desert-gear.com/coc86tabowzi.html

Also you can go to a foot doctor, They can mold custom inserts for your shoes. Yes they are expensive but perhaps your boss can help and they are tax deductible. IF you work in one small area they have mats that you stand on. (beats standing on the concrete floor)
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Um... if something heavy enough falls on your steeltoe... the steel will bend and cut your toes off...
    no steel... IMHO
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I have to wear steel toe boots everyday for work. I have found that the new Converse tactical safety boot to be the best. You can get it in a full upper, 3/4 upper or regular type shoe. Great boot!

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Um... if something heavy enough falls on your steeltoe... the steel will bend and cut your toes off...
    no steel... IMHO
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    no steel... IMHO
    Well, if something heavy enough to crush the steel falls on your foot, your toes would have been destroyed anyway (toes < steel). If something heavy enough to hurt your toes but not heavy enough to crush the steel falls on your foot, your toes are fine whereas they would have been damaged. So:

REALLY, REALLY heavy - toes crushed either way
    Regular heavy - with steel = no injury; without steel = injury

Make sense?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

WOW!!!

Great intel, gang!! Thanks a ton!!

I actually build tanks. Bradley Assault vehicles, to be more specific. I'm inside practically all day, but do quite a bit of walking just to get from my car/cycle to my work station. Huuuge freakin' plant as you could well imagine, so by the end of my shift, I sometimes feel like my current Wolverines have about 10lbs of mud on the bottom.

The Doc M's look comfy, but they look heavy and although I can wear a "safety toe" shoe/sneaker, I just feel there ain't much to them. Plus, I ride my cycle to work over 3/4 of the year and never, never ride with a sneaker. So a lightweight, 6 inch boot seems to be the ticket.

I had previously been checking out the Converses and may just give them a shot, after checking some of local shoe stores to see what's on their shelves. I would really like to find someone local who carries the Doc M's just to try them on.

Thanks again for all the responses, you guys rock!!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Okay,I don't have time to read the 3 pages of this thread,so sorry if I hit on things already taken care of.

I'm a automotive service writer,so sometimes I have to move/deal w/parts,and tires. I only wear boots as I know have health issues,and its not worth taking risk. Plus from a SD point of veiw,it makes more sence.

I currently wear Timberland PRO series,they are EXTREMELY comfortable, but owned them since march and they already seem a bit torn up on the outside,I couldn't imagine if I actually had work that deemed steel toes "neccisarry" for work.

My next set are red wings.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Okay,I don't have time to read the 3 pages of this thread,so sorry if I hit on things already taken care of.

I'm a automotive service writer,so sometimes I have to move/deal w/parts,and tires. I only wear boots as I know have health issues,and its not worth taking risk. Plus from a SD point of veiw,it makes more sence.

I currently wear Timberland PRO series,they are EXTREMELY comfortable, but owned them since march and they already seem a bit torn up on the outside,I couldn't imagine if I actually had work that deemed steel toes "neccisarry" for work.

Its my understanding (I've never owned a pair) that the Timberlands are built more for fashion now than they are work. At one time, they were a the top of the heap, but they have been basterdized.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post

Red Wings, ehh?

Maybe you should go back and read my original post. I sitting here,
    (after 3 freakin' exchanges), with a pair of $175 Red Wings that kill my feet after about 3 hours and the Red Wing store has basically told me tough darts!! I won't deal with these crooks ever again, thanks to their Customer Service, (or lack there of).

Wolverine Durashocks provided me with better comfort for a whole lot less $$.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I wear red wings @ work, not boots... and I love them. $$ tho...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

www.sievi.com

I've been through a few steel toed boots and my wide feet love these boots! :D
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Fastball,

having worn boots for the better part of the last 7 years, due to riding the ambulance etc., I've found that whenever I buy a new pair of boots (about once a year, my side zippers give out) I have about two weeks where it sucks to wear them, until they are worn in and fit to my feet.

Is it possible you're just not giving your current boots time to break in?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links