Steel toed shoe recommendations.

This is a discussion on Steel toed shoe recommendations. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear steel toes everyday as well and will sing the praises of DM's as I have owned several pair, I recently switched over to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel toed shoe recommendations.

I wear steel toes everyday as well and will sing the praises of DM's as I have owned several pair, I recently switched over to a set of Justin Lace up Ropers because it fit my wardrobe better and for the average of 10-12 miles I walk in a shift my feet have never felt better at the end of a 12 hour shift.. Might be worth looking into.. For the record Im about the same size you are 6'2 and 290 or so...
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    Fastball,

having worn boots for the better part of the last 7 years, due to riding the ambulance etc., I've found that whenever I buy a new pair of boots (about once a year, my side zippers give out) I have about two weeks where it sucks to wear them, until they are worn in and fit to my feet.

Is it possible you're just not giving your current boots time to break in?

--Jim
    Jim,

I've had these boots for almost a year now and have tried wearing them to work in the garage, around the house, doing yard work, etc. But as soon as I start wearing them on the concrete floors at work, in a couple of hours the soles of my feet are burning.

These are supposed to be their "Comfort Force" sole, (or something like that). The fit of the boot around the top of my foot, toes and ankle is fine, it's just it feels like I'm wearing a worn out pair of boots on concrete all day.

My wife has suggested those "Gellin' like a felon" insoles, but then I have problems with the fitment with my toes and top of my foot.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Fastball, someone once mentioned to me that steel toecaps are available as a freestanding item. I don't know if it's true, but if they are available you would be able to wear any shoes you wish and still be OSHA compliant.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Crumrine View Post
    Fastball, someone once mentioned to me that steel toecaps are available as a freestanding item. I don't know if it's true, but if they are available you would be able to wear any shoes you wish and still be OSHA compliant.
    Gary's right on this. It's been many years and I don't recall where, but I have seen outside caps for sale. Couldn't say if they were OSHA complaint, but I know they are out there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Gary's right on this. It's been many years and I don't recall where, but I have seen outside caps for sale. Couldn't say if they were OSHA complaint, but I know they are out there.
    I use to work at Boeing Aircraft. When we forgot to wear steel toe shoes we had to wear the slip on "toes" they were yellow and big. It really looked silly. It made you to remember to bring your ST shoes the next day.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    I use to work at Boeing Aircraft. When we forgot to wear steel toe shoes we had to wear the slip on "toes" they were yellow and big. It really looked silly. It made you to remember to bring your ST shoes the next day.
    the had those at my old job. anyone wearing them would sound like a clydesdale walking through the plant. but, they are OSHA compliant...

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    Sounds like they should've come with a red nose and a squirting carnation.

Last night was rough, I got placed in another building that is producing the military's new MRAP vehicle, (freakin' AWESOME machine BTW). By quiting time, I was dragging my Wolverines accross the parking lot, (closely followed by my a$$), to my bike for the ride home. I swear it felt like the bottom of my boots were loaded with mud!

Have to get something different by the weekend!

I always liked my Red Wings
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

The Timberland Titan is the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I've had Georgia Boots, Dr. Martin's, walmart specials, HH, Wolverine etc. The Ga boot I had almost crippled me w/ pain, I switched to the Titan and haven't looked back.
    http://www.timberland.com/product/in...entPage=family

Last two pairs I got and liked are Converse made. Last couple times I had buddy's buy Doc Martens (very recently) they were NOT what they used to be. Building them over sea's and not as good as they were five plus years back they seemed to think. And I agreed with them. Shame. But don't take my (or their) word for it. Give it a shot but be prepared to look em over and see for yourself. I normally order mine through Gall's. Work buys em and I like the short 6" zip side.

The over toe steel plate normally gives more Tarsal protection. Projects back over well behind the toes. Has its place in some jobs. There are indeed jobs that Steel Toed boots are exempt from wearing. One I can think of is Horse people. The unique thing about a large horse stepping on your foot is it does seem to abnormaly bend that steel toe over for some reason. So often farriers and handlers will opt out of them. And can.

I did locate a store that carries Dr. Martin boots, but it's about 30 miles away. I will take a trip up there on the weekend to check them out and try a few pairs on.

Right now these Converse boots are looking like a front runner.

Model 8674

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Red Wings, ehh?

Maybe you should go back and read my original post. I sitting here,
    (after 3 freakin' exchanges), with a pair of $175 Red Wings that kill my feet after about 3 hours and the Red Wing store has basically told me tough darts!! I won't deal with these crooks ever again, thanks to their Customer Service, (or lack there of).

Wolverine Durashocks provided me with better comfort for a whole lot less $$.
    Your the ONLY person I've ever heard of anything other than a perfect expereince at red wing.

My rommmate is an electrician,wears red wings to work,and red wings to play (went bought a second pair he loves them so much!)

my dad just bought a set of red wing dress shoes.

my neighbor is the one that reccomended red wing to my roommate,who also, is an electrician.....

I'm not trying to be argumentative,sounds like you might have sensitive feet,and/or the management at your particular store is less than desireable.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Timberland PRO...been wearing them for 5 years (a few pairs) and you can get them in any shape and size
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Last two pairs I got and liked are Converse made. Last couple times I had buddy's buy Doc Martens (very recently) they were NOT what they used to be. Building them over sea's and not as good as they were five plus years back they seemed to think. And I agreed with them. Shame. But don't take my (or their) word for it. Give it a shot but be prepared to look em over and see for yourself. I normally order mine through Gall's. Work buys em and I like the short 6" zip side.

The over toe steel plate normally gives more Tarsal protection. Projects back over well behind the toes. Has its place in some jobs. There are indeed jobs that Steel Toed boots are exempt from wearing. One I can think of is Horse people. The unique thing about a large horse stepping on your foot is it does seem to abnormaly bend that steel toe over for some reason. So often farriers and handlers will opt out of them. And can.
    I had a 3 year old quarter horse step on my SANDALED foot and I came out of it unscathed. Granted, the ground was soft, but still - I was amazed, and lucky.

Danner puts out good boots.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links