Steel toed shoe recommendations.

This is a discussion on Steel toed shoe recommendations. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little more advice, gang, if you don't mind. I have to start wearing steel toed shoes at my new job and I am having ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel toed shoe recommendations.

Steel toed shoe recommendations.

A little more advice, gang, if you don't mind.

I have to start wearing steel toed shoes at my new job and I am having a terrible time finding something comfortable for all day. I am allowed to wear a boot, shoe and/or sneaker as long as it is a steel toe. I stand pretty much my entire shift and I'm a big boy, (6' 5", 310lbs), so my feet take some punishment.

I have had a very bitter experience with Red Wing shoes, (up to a $175 boot that kills my feet & can't be returned), so a higher price does not mean a better shoe in my opinion.

I would like to stay with something 3/4 length at max and have checked out some of the Converse duty boots. Any feedback on them?? I am open to any other recommendations/suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Fastball; October 29th, 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well, I may be letting my punk background show, but a nice pair of 4 to 8 eyelet Doc Martens are hard to beat. Try here for starters: http://www.dmusastore.com/c-16-boots.aspx. Look at the colored bar code under each boot - SC means it is steel toe capped (EH is electriacal hazard resistant, SR is slip resistant, WP is water proof, etc.)

I have worn DMs for 20+ years, and have always found them extremely comfortable, tough, and reasonably priced. Good luck!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    Dr Martens steel toe shoes / 3/4 boot, ESD safe, alkali resistant soles, very comfortable, run around $100. Just make sure you get the right size, my feet are slightly wider than normal, but not what I call wide, but in the Docs I need the wide size.

Go to Dr. Martens website: http://www.drmartens.com/ and follow the links: Products->Industrail, they have steel toe or composite.

I prefer the shoe style, but they do offer the short boot style as well.

I've worn many differnet types of boots/shoes, and of them all I'll take the Dr Martens.

JD
    Administrator
    Well I see OPFOR beat me to it, but it's good to see we're on the same page

Matterhorn never fails

If you're looking for a moderate dress shoe with those features, Docs are great (I wear black wing tips regularly) but for comfortable, true duty use, I'll put in my $.02 for you to check out the Matterhorn product line.

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com...?CategoryID=33

You'll pay for 'em, but I won't wear ANY other duty boot.

My first were the Go Devil Para back in 1991, and I've never looked back. One of my favorite things about them is that, in addition to a steel toe, they feature a steel shank as well...makes for a nice motorcycle boot (especially if you ride something you have to kick).

No matter what, go for full leather uppers, Thinsulate AND Gortex lining, and Vibram sole.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

JD and OPFOR gave you real good advice, I have to wear steel toe (if I wanna get reimbursed by company) and i've tried several brands but none of them were as comfortable as my Doc's....they are great looking and very comfy. I wear the HERITAGE 5 EYE + 1 D-RING STEEL TOE SHOE in black...love'em One thing to remember like JD mentioned, get the right size...DM's don't run in half sizes. I normally wear 10 1/2 but I go with 11 in Doc's.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Lead Moderator
    I use a Wolverine 3/4 at work and have found them real comfy.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I haven't had to wear steel toe shoes for a long time, but I can attest to the fact that a good quality insert will make a world of difference, even if the shoe/boot is not comfortable in itself.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

this thread proves why DM's are so popular worldwide.

+1 on the Doc M's.

Most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned? Thorogood with a safety toe.

The sole is replaceble, so they do cost a bit more, but the overall boot should last a long time. I think I paid about $180 for mine.

I also went the cheaper route prior to this pair... $140 Carolina boots, replaced every 9-12 months... ouch!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont knw as much as many posters here , i have only worn steel toes for 30 years or so in one form or another . And from my limited experiance i guess i need to ask you just what your job dutys are and just why you need the protection before i reccomend somtetghing , be it a full workboot or just a steel toed tenny shoe , or loafer . You can be safely , and fairly cheaply hooked up with a shoe , but just how are you going to wear it on a jobsite , that do make a difference ... If ya gotta be in a lab all day you buy min protection ya can and max comfort ... If your out there in the field then you buy the beat protection ya can and damm the comfort. For myself as a long term equiment operater i bought the best set of steel toed juston boots made . it was about 250 or so . However 10 years ( with only 5 years of everyday wear ) the boots still fit and work well as long as i dont have to walk a lot . I have several cheap pair of tennis shoes that are steel toed for the walking days , tho i would not trust them other than that they are required .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    I've had the same pair of DM's for 15+ years. They are the end all...
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill just say that my " supervisor shoes " look like a pair of moccisons , I have tenny runners that meet osha , and finaly i have a pair or two of work boots . As stated work shoes are like womens handbags in the sense you may likely need several pair depending on what you may be doing ... waiding thro thigh deep mud as a day to day issue requires different shoes than does being on site and going to a lot of meetings ... all the shoes above will weigh different , and have different comfort issues . If your going to be on a jobsite you do need steel toes , just what level is open to discussion , its kinda like asking " just what gun do i need to carry " . Sorry for the long posts , but if you dont have the right shoes ( or right holster / gun combo ) your butt will be dragging at the end of the day .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Go with Doc Marten's!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links