Cover garments

This is a discussion on Cover garments within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm newer to the world of conceal carry having just finished my course last saturday, and I was wondering what kind of cover garments people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cover garments

Cover garments

I'm newer to the world of conceal carry having just finished my course last saturday, and I was wondering what kind of cover garments people use. I've seen some vests, but unless you are a tourist or a photographer they don't look like something I could wear and pull off. I'm only 23, so I need something to wear that doesn't cause people to ask questions why I'm wearing it. I work in a casual environment just to give people an idea. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I wear a tucked in shirt. I suggest you look at different holsters as well as cover garments.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Assistant Administrator
    Casual should be good.

That then suggests to me that an open shirt (light or heavy to suit seasons) could well easily cover a comfortable OWB rig.

Despite your youth I'd have thought a vest might still be useful and not too ''odd'' in hot summer - but perhaps something more like I use (Denim from Smith & Alexander), rather than the classic photog type. It is even easier to use if you're a biker too

With CCW we need to dress to carry - and so choices are quite important ... but IMO whatever you choose can work as long as concealment good and you are comfortable in it ........ the worst thing is an effective garment but where the wearer is unhappy and always adjusting.

Re shirts - most will agree I think - pattern helps. Also a 2 sizes big t-shirt if long enough can work very well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I wear untucked "Sports Shirts" - think Hawaiian shirts without the bold print (okay sometimes WITH the print). I also wear just plain untucked polo style in particular when I am wearing jeans or shorts.

Alot of what you wear will be driven by 1) your holster and how well it hides 2) The weather/climate

Sports shirts (flat bottom type) untucked, polo shirts untucked, when shirt is tucked in a light vest or in cooler weather a jacket.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is exactly some of the things that I need to think about. It always helps when getting advice from those with experience.

my fiance usually does IWB with a normal tshirt and a unbuttoned untucked plaid-like tshirt over it. or any thicker shirt such as a polo

I'm just not sure how comfortable an iwb will be for me as I've tried on my dads iwb with his browning hipower, and it tended to poke my love handles a bit more than I'd like. I know that with the crappy holster that came with my xd it rides fine and doesn't poke which is why I'm thinking about an OWB. Now I do have a smart carry, and an ankle holster for certain occasion, but I would really like to be able to conceal an OWB with a shirt or vest, or similar solution without it printing, which is why I posed the question. Someone in a similar thread suggested a woolrich elite vest, which I could probably pull off, but I've now read that some of you can carry with just a larger polo shirt or buttonup, which is more me. More than anything I'd just like to know what options are available to me. I see so many people going with an IWB setup and I'm not sure that is how I want to carry. As always, I appreciate the feedback!

what i said can apply to OWB as well if the gun isnt too long.
    a normal guy tshirt (if long enough to cover it) and a buttonup kinda shirt to break up any printing will do just fine. Once you get your stuff find something in your closet that works and then go shopping.

I think you are right, If I can find a high ride OWB holster, then most of the shirts I already own should cover it as I carry a Springfield Armory XD subcompact in 9, I think my next goal should probably be to find the right holster for my gun.

righto

I know the holster that comes w/ the XD Gear is clunky and sits off your belt a good bit. I just got a Don Hume JIT slide from Gunnersalley.com. I wore it under an untucked 'button-up' shirt this weekend and no one even knew I was carrying my XD9 4" until my Dad hugged me and his hand slid down across the butt of the gun. He just gave the that 'knowing' look. I drove an hour and a half to their house and riding at my 8:30 (I'm a lefty) it felt like a side bolster in a sports-car seat. Not uncomfortable at all. I got the holster about 2weeks after I ordered it--for less than 32 bucks. It works good for a beginner. Hope this helps.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I just wear dark colored clothes and hoodies in the winter.

All good advise but I can tell you that the holster is soooooo important. The better the holster fits and conceals the easier it is to cover it up.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Who knows anything about some of the longer hawaiian shirts like was used in the movie "Man on Fire"? I have looked everywhere with no luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links