EarPro EP3 Sonic Defender

This is a discussion on EarPro EP3 Sonic Defender within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...endersandtrade Seriously thinking about getting a pair for certain aspects of my job. Thanks!...

Thread: EarPro EP3 Sonic Defender

VIP Member

EarPro EP3 Sonic Defender

Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...endersandtrade

Seriously thinking about getting a pair for certain aspects of my job. Thanks!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Ah yes, once you get the hang of putting them in and getting them adjusted (I've seen some people have a bit of trouble at first) they're extremely comfortable in the ears. They don't provide the best protection while shooting, but they do work. Also you can still hear fairly well with them in. It's a good balance. I have used similar type plugs and none of them even come close to the SureFires. I would recommend them highly to anyone.

Take care,

nasm

VIP Member
    Thanks, nasm. Any idea how the sizing runs? I wore the "green" old-style Army issue plugs, if that helps...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OPFOR,

Hmm, the medium fits me great. I suppose I have fairly average ears. The medium fit three other people I know who use them as well. I'm not familiar with the Army issue plugs so unfortunately I can't relate there. I'm sorry I don't really have a better answer there. I'd try medium though. I hope they work out for you.

Take care,

nasm

Lead Moderator
    16db seems a bit low rating for hearing protection while shooting.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    well, if 85 is the "danger threshold," and they reduce starting at 80, a 16dB drop to 64 seems decent. Of course, you can put the plugs in to get more reduction....

I plan on using these for high threat security details in Iraq - I need something unobtrusive, that will allow me to communicate normally, will let me listen to the "street noise," will allow me to communicate via radio, and will protect my hearing from serious damage when an IED goes off or when I have to shoot from inside a vehicle. They don't have to make things whisper quiet, just keep my noggin from ringing.

I'm going to order a few sets tomorrow - I'll post a "range report" the first chance I get.

I'd be really interested in how well they work for you as well as the sizing. I also wore "green" military plugs. The attenuation levels are supposed to be variable and do not allow noise past 80 db. This would be perfect for my work situation!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I already had a set on order...hopefully will have them by the weekend...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

From what I read, noise reduction is only 9 dcbs with the stoppers out & 16 dcbs with the stoppers in. Neither off which offer much protection from the noise generated by shooting. Would a set of the electronic ear plugs be a better choice ?? They truly block out damaging noise levels, but allow hearing normal range sounds, or can even amplify them. They are expensive, but then again, what's you hearing worth?? Being in a high threat security detail in Iraq, you can bet there will LOTS of noise well above 85 dcbs on on a fairly regular basis. My stepson served over there and his hearing has suffered from the many gun battles and explosions he encountered.

VIP Member
    Well, at 10 bucks, I'll give them a try.

Last time I was in Baghdad, I suffered some relatively minor tinitus from an IED attack, nevermind the general noise level of gunfire, rockets, explosions, and everything that is going on in the city. I may very well look into the electronic ones if these don't meet my needs.

This is from a PDF of their properties:

Input
    Level
    Noise Braker
    Attenuation
    70 dB 4 dB
    80 dB 26 dB
    90 dB 34 dB
    100 dB 32 dB
    110 dB 36 dB
    120 dB 39 dB
    *all values are C-scale values2
    Significant attenuation starts at 80 dB at a value of 26 dB, rising to 34 dB at 90 dB inputs but
    remaining roughly constant at an average of 35 dB through sound levels of 120 dB.3 For
    example, if the level of the noise is110 dB, the noise braker will attenuate the sound to 74 dB,
    well below the mandated action level of 85 dB.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I bought a pair to use for the same reason you mentioned in your third post. I've had them for three months and they are the most comfortable ear plugs next to the foam inserts. One IED (2 x 155mm) hit with them in and they worked beautifully. I use them with the headsets in the HMMWVs, at the range, and on patrols. They are well worth the buy once you get used to putting them in. Highly recommended but my favorite still is the yellow disposable plugs.

Links