best pair of electronic ear muffs?

This is a discussion on best pair of electronic ear muffs? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well im putting together a list together for santa (aka dad) now, everything on my list is gun related stuff of course. now my parents ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best pair of electronic ear muffs?

best pair of electronic ear muffs?

well im putting together a list together for santa (aka dad)
    now, everything on my list is gun related stuff of course.
    now my parents arent big gun fans if u didnt know that already

so i am kinda hoping that they will see my list and just get me a car instead, since they 'owe' me one anyways.
    k back to topic. im looking for a good pair of electronic ear muffs that arnt too expensive.
    i havnt fairly sensitive ears. im not expecting them to work when im shooting the mosin nagant. but i would like something that will be sufficient for the .45 with my poor little ears, yet still be able to hear ppl

2. Remove Ads

I recently purchased a pair of these; they're not bad and only $20 each.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=142725

I really like my Peltor SportTac's. Great priceline for around $100.

I like Pro Ears, but some people whose opinion I respect say Sordin Supreme Pro series is better:

http://www.csuk.us/sup_pro4.php

how does the sound rating work? 18 dB for the nice ones vs 27 dB for the cheap ones?

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I recently bought a set from Wally World. Remington is the brand, green is the color. I run a range couple times a month and was getting tired of taking the muffs off every time someone talked to me. These things are great. Even the largest boom right next to me is gone, plus they amplify noises from far out there. I can keep these things on all day long, very comfortable. Hoping to try them out come deer season. Cost around $50 if I remember right.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

I have two of the Caldwell that Wrascal posted the link for and have bought a couple of sets for other people.

They work great. I haven't had any problems out of them and you can't beat the price. The more you shoot the more you will love Midway.

The problem I have will any of the ear muff types is that they are hot, and down here in the summer I can't wear them, cause they make you sweat so much. The big advantage with any of them is that they are great for teaching new shooters. You don't have to yell and the new shooter doesn't miss any instruction but keeps their hearing.

The Caldwell one work no matter whether your shooting a .380 or a 30.06. they do what they are supposed to do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have a set of Peltors. I forget what model, but I love them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I've been looking at picking up a set, but what I have noticed is that even the expensive sets only give you about 20 dB of protection, whereas a cheap non-electronic set can easily hit 30dBs. Of course, now that I think about it, that's probably because they "allow in" sound at a safe level that the others block.

I got a pair of Walker game earmuffs 5 years ago. The one with 4 microphones on them and they were about $180. Well they eat expensive batteries, are unconfortable and now the one of the metal contacts that hold the battery in broke. Don't buy them get the Peltor or some other brand.

Quote Originally Posted by AzDan View Post
    I've been looking at picking up a set, but what I have noticed is that even the expensive sets only give you about 20 dB of protection, whereas a cheap non-electronic set can easily hit 30dBs. Of course, now that I think about it, that's probably because they "allow in" sound at a safe level that the others block.
    Yes, and it's always good to remember that the NRR (noise reduction rating) is determined in a laboratory environment under controlled conditions. The noise reduction experienced in the field may be much less than that. So if you don't have any need for communication with other people via voice or radio, the hearing protection without that capability will provide better protection.

so, since i have sensitive ears and a few really loud guns, yet need to be able to talk to ppl regularly since im an officer at our schools range,
    what ones out there will block out the loudest bang the best, while still being the electronic type?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have a set of Peltor Com-Tac IIs. Love them! They don't have the click sound when they shut down for loud noise. There is no perceptable gap in conversations. My work comms are piped through them and there is no gap in radio reception either. If you shop around, you can find them for under $200. Look for the single channel version, they're a bit less than the dual channel version.

Friese, I have tried a few of the electronic ones, and so far it has been a hit or miss affair for me.
    bought a cheap set at Dick's sporting goods rated at 26 for 30 bux, they werent bad, but is the type that cuts off when a loud noise occurs. I got a set of North Gun mufflers(rated 29) that compresses the loud noises and lets u still hear conversations and commands. I found it works best outdoors, in an indoor range it was not that good, the cheap set from Dicks worked better.

I have now started using ear plugs in addition to the muffs when I shoot indoors. I just turn up the volume so I can hear conversations or commands. Outdoors, any of the electronic ones should suffice, but in an indoor busy range, I wear plugs under them.

Just my 2c

SY

Go with Sordins. I had a set of the Pro-Ears Dimension 1's and they were ok but weren't water proof and had the battery compartment inside the ear cup. I kept losing the batteries when putting them in my range bag. The Sordins are mcuh better than anything I've tried. Do yourself a favor and get the gel insert upgrade. I wouldn't buy cheap because you can't fix hearing damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links