security cam vs deer cam vs phony

This is a discussion on security cam vs deer cam vs phony within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into installing a security cam on at least one location on my property to protect my business (warehouse door), with the possibility of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: security cam vs deer cam vs phony

security cam vs deer cam vs phony

I'm looking into installing a security cam on at least one location on my property to protect my business (warehouse door), with the possibility of installing 2 add-on cameras (one trained on my front door, one trained on the 1 back window to the business facility). I've been contemplating options: 1) cheap cams a la Walmart or Lowes, 2) infrared motion-activated deer cam 3) either of the above in a hidden location plus a phony cam in a more obvious location as a distractor/deterrent.

Any thoughts on how to manage this without alot of investment? I know the deer cams can store huge amounts of info on SD cards that can then been downloaded to a computer, and i don't know what all is involved in the various walmart cam systems (do I also have to have a dedicated VCR and monitor or home LAN?) video is not going to be practical for me, and I would love to have the ability to check a cam on demand (i.e., i'm in the house and someone bangs on the front door at 2 am and I don't want to turn on the lights).

any input is greatly appreciated!!

I don't think the deer cams can be networked- it would be a $90 investment per camera; whereas the other cams may have cheaper add-ons. However, the deer cams are "always on", and motion activated to take images at night or video during the day. so many options, so little knowledge!!

BTW: does anyone know where to get a cheap phony decoy cam?

2. Remove Ads

Here are some more alternatives. I saw one of his wireless remote cameras in operation and was very impressed. Know nothing else about the company yet.

http://www.jetviewcam.com/

not sure about any of that, but hiding the real cam and having a decoy is defiantly a good idea and worth the few bucks you will spend.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    You want somthing that is networked, with night vision. Deer cams are no good b/c if they spot the camera its all over if you give me a price range i could defenitly do some research and suggest a viable option. I'm hoping to get into security consultation after school so i like to jump on these real world oppratunity(sp) but w/o one (a price range) its tough to make a suggestion because there are litterally soooo many cameras/styles/functions on the market.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Check out your nearest Sam's club, I've noticed in mine that they carry a number of surveillance camera set ups. Nothing for "night vision" per say but that would be way too much money anyway. Redundant outdoor lighting on a motion sensor would make more practical sense. Some of the kits I saw had several cameras. Check it out.
    God Bless
    Gideon

Do you want dedicated (CCTV)Cameras or do you want Ip cameras so you can check into things over the internet when you're not around?
    IP cameras are (IMO) the way to go. You can record video straight to a hard drive, if cabling is a problem you can go wireless.
    I've used Panasonic IP cameras, and I'm doing a system now for outdoor webcams for one of my clients using low light outdoor cameras.
    You can go to your local CompUSA and check out the Panasonic cameras, they're just on the shelf units. The stuff I'm using for my client are more "professional" style cameras with enclosures
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Lots of good info so far!

I don't know about the dedicated vs IP cams, I would love to be able to check a particular cam while in the house at least. Sounds like IP will be the way to go once I have a full clinic (or when my mare is close to foaling, to check on her ;) ) I am pretty sure IP is not an option right now, as I cannot set up a server on my property. I am very rural, and there is no high speed internet option where I live, and the few neighbors with satellite internet are extremely dissatisfied with their service (at >$200/MO). My only internet access is via a Verizon card.

SDG- I think you are going into a very cool field. price range would be a bare minimum right now, as my business is <1 yr old, and really not ready to buy something like this. I'm thinking $200 or less (less is better) for the entire set-up. I'm kinda in a replace-the-printer OR get-some-security-cams situation, if that helps. This is mostly because I am also in a more urgent upgrade-your-CCW-gun situation at the same time, so there is some trade-off to be made.

Gideon- Thanks for the Sams Club idea- I will try to go there with someone with a membership on Friday and check out the selection.

I'm thinking that due to the layout of my place, wireless would be best. There will be some significant distance from the front door of my house to the door of the warehouse.

Internet access with an aircard would still work, just need a 3G router to share your mobile broadband service out to the cams.
    Link to the router I'm talking about
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    alright, i'll see what i can find today and shoot you a pm later on tonight. Tons of homework right now.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I just happened to purchase a "Security Blackbox" at Sam's Club yesterday. I looked at the three models of different name brand and figured this one is the easiest to use. It is PC based and operates of Windows Vista. It comes with everything you need including CPU, Monitor(Flat LCD), 4 Cameras, etc....it is low lux night vision and you can adust the quality of the picture for each camera. I can best describe it by saying all the hookups, adjustments, etc..made sense. It was like I would design it.....very, very, very, user friendly.

You can monitor all cams real time or scroll between as many as 8 cameras. You can review by date, time, etc...at any scroll speed. Cameras can be set as motion on, constant on, or on a timer. It has a dvd burner so you can record any video to to your own media and you can also print digital stills directly from the software. The only down side is its $1700 price tag.

Sounds nice, mhm2a! will be saving for something that nice eventually... dunn, I will check that out, sounds like that could serve a variety of purposes for my business, not just security cam networking!

SDG, thank you for the pm, I've sent a response.

VIP Member
    Boy the sky's the limit on what's available regarding security cameras, etc. Here is a link, that might help you www.scdlink.com they have lots of stuff. The have catalogs too, their number is 800-316-6027 They have phony cams as do most security cam sellers do.

I have a four cam system for my house, it has a dedicated computer HD to store about 2 weeks worth of info. It has the capability of internet access, burning DVD's etc, night vision, motion detection*, etc, it was about $2K with me installing it.

Regarding answering the door at night. I haven't bought one yet but I will definitely be installing a audio/video door intercom. Most will monitor two doors, base station mounted inside. When the doorbell rings I can see and speak to whoever is there w/o going to the door. They can't see me, but they can speak to me when I want them too. It certainly will be the safest way for my wife to answer the door......and safe for me too.

I have some experience with deer cams and BG's, the deer cams are hard to hide from people, if found they will steal or destroy them. Also the flash mode is not your friend. be sure it's not activated. If the deer cam has night vision capability don't forget that it's range is short.

*The motion detection on most of these is based on the computer detecting significant pixel changes, a bee flying 20 feet away won't be detected, but a bee flying in front of the camera is huge and will be detected and recorded. The wind blowing a bush will be detected too. The motion detection is alright but can be frustrating, I have my motion detection adjusted as high as it goes and I note that it is on (and recording) too much of nothing
    Last edited by ppkheat; November 16th, 2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added info
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

came across this:
    http://www.homecamera.com/web/Home.do

What do you guys think? obviously has limitations and is low tech, but I have a webcam already and if I can figure out a way to wire it, I may try this out for a while until I can afford something nicer, like many here have suggested.

It IS a little creepy to know your video is on the net somewhere, even if it is password protected.... don't think I'd train a video cam on something valuable and broadcast it through some free web-based app, but monitoring my front porch should be ok :)

You can look into the X-10 cameras. They are all wireless with many options. They are not bad cameras at all for what you can get with them. They are also in the price range you are speaking about. Just do a Google on "X-10 cameras. I do this for the Fed Gov on CCTV and they are not quite the quality of what I install but they are nice for Joe the home owner. But as you look down the road get better cameras. NOT wireless. Wireless can be picked up by anyone within 100 yards of the camera. Also down the road look into a DVR to record your cameras. I have 4 cameras wired around my house, one of them is an X-10. They record 24/7, on a DVR that has an 80 gig drive. It records about 10 days before re-writing over old video. Also put up outside lights with motion. Camera's, all of them, unless you go with expensive IR, have a hard time with darkness, and adjusting to bright or direct sunlight. So mount your camera high, preferably roof line level, to prevent sun spots and keep folks from reaching them. These are some things that wll help you...

I have found the Home Security Store to have the most comprehensive array of products for a variety of price ranges. You can link to them here
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links